Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

The funniest thing i have seen in a good while.

Hmmmm..... Come to think of it, we are actually pretty tame......

I dont think its 'tame' to see a young teenage girl of perhaps fourteen in obvious shock and pain being classed as 'funny'.  Its different with police chases etc as you mostly don't see people in actual pain, and if you did the majority of balanced adults probably wouldn't find the situation 'funny'.  

But anyway, here's the low-down on the boat incident.  Note that five of the occupants were taken to hospital, one with a broken leg and broken wrist ...and the driver of the boat was charged with a 'seating violation'.(obviously because the girl was standing and not seated).

Also, the driver said he was doing around 70mph, but someone on-board reckoned it was more like 100mph. 

The footage was shot by a professional news cameraman who then uploaded it to Youtube etc.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/watch-wild-ride-water-takes-tragic-turn-missouri-article-1.1153132

Still funny?  Then perhaps you haven't experienced a violent car crash where, even if your not seriously injured, you're totally numb with shock and pain for at least the next 24 hours.

The clip is not a violent car crash,  no cars,  no violent's.

So what Poppet and a few others probably found funny

In fairness to me folks, I only posted this video to show the entire world the criminal speedboat under belly whilst exposing negligence of health and safety of water sports.  

Look at the end of the day, no body was really hurt,  everybody walked-ish away, bobs your uncle

Honestly if you watch it in slow motion and you'll see what i mean  :rolleyes:

Its different with police chases etc as you mostly don't see people in actual pain, and if you did the majority of balanced adults probably wouldn't find the situation 'funny'. 

1) Nope You just get to see a car roll a billion times and somebody crawl out then fall on his face or get tackled, or a speeders car smacked in the side by a train or a tractor trailer...... (and maybe somebody crawls out.....) 

2) You must not watch much Youtube, Dailymotion and etc... Also, read the comments on this and other videos.

3) You must have never seen "Jackass the movie" and its numerous sequels.  :ph34r:

People are people. You may not find it amusing, and usually I don't either, but there are large numbers who certainly will. Nobody can stop that because human nature is pretty constant. It's like tilting at windmills.

I will cheer you on (kind of) if you try, though.

I think the only (small) issue here might be classifying it as "funny" where so many might strongly disagree. If Poppet had said "interesting" it would not have changed the video one bit, but people's outrage would likely not have been sparked.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Look at the end of the day, no body was really hurt, everybody walked-ish away, bobs your uncle

There is an old saying:  "He (she) who tries to justify does not convince".

You say that nobody was 'really' hurt ..yet if you'd read the article that I posted a link to you'd know that the crash occurred at around 100mph and people were taken to hospital, one with broken bones. .so that person obviously didnt just "walk away" -but rather he would have been stretchered into an ambulance and laid up for months..

No you're right, it wasn't a car crash, but the powerful G-forces involved made it behave like one..and bones were broken and heads bashed.   But 'Bob's yer uncle'. Its all fun and games to some.

I find it funny AND instructive.

41829334.jpg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1) Nope You just get to see a car roll a billion times and somebody crawl out then fall on his face or get tackled, or a speeders car smacked in the side by a train or a tractor trailer...... (and maybe somebody crawls out.....) 

-------------------

Sure. But I doubt that I'd find such situations 'funny'.  Instead I might put myself in the situation of the guy who 'fell on his face', for example.

2) You must not watch much Youtube, Dailymotion and etc... Also, read the comments on this and other videos.

Youtube yes...to which my previous comment applies.

3) You must have never seen "Jackass the movie" and its numerous sequels.  :ph34r:

Jackass was a film series produced for profit and performed by stunt-men who were fully insured and had emergency medical teams on standby....so it doesn't count.  If those guys got injured it was their own choice, an occupational hazard..although I may well have winced when an alligator snapped onto a part of their anatomy..not so much laughed.. :P

People are people. You may not find it amusing, and usually I don't either, but there are large numbers who certainly will. Nobody can stop that because human nature is pretty constant. It's like tilting at windmills.

Its like I said earlier: Some people might laugh at scenes of starving children in Africa, for whatever sick reason,

I will cheer you on (kind of) if you try, though.

???

I think the only (small) issue here might be classifying it as "funny" where so many might strongly disagree. If Poppet had said "interesting" it would not have changed the video one bit, but people's outrage would likely not have been sparked.

I haven't seen any 'outrage', just personal opinions.  But yes, the headline didn't help.  When a member posts a video under the title: "The funniest thing I've  seen in a while" -,  I doubt if most people would then expect to see a video of a violent accident where people were moaning in shock and pain, and 5 people were later carted off to hospital, one with broken bones.  

But like I said earlier. You also have to take age into account, since many teenagers haven't yet developed empathy for others' pain and suffering,  and some adults never will.

Jackass was a film series produced for profit and performed by stunt-men who were fully insured and had emergency medical teams on standby....so it doesn't count.  If those guys got injured it was their own choice, an occupational hazard..although I may well have winced when an alligator snapped onto a part of their anatomy..not so much laughed..

Not so sure about that...... (off topic) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackass_(TV_series)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There is an old saying:  "He (she) who tries to justify does not convince".

You say that nobody was 'really' hurt ..yet if you'd read the article that I posted a link to you'd know that the crash occurred at around 100mph and people were taken to hospital, one with broken bones. .so that person obviously didnt just "walk away" -but rather he would have been stretchered into an ambulance and laid up for months

Actually, it was the cameraman who was hurt the worst.

In an odd twist of irony, the only comment on that article you linked to also found it "funny..."

Go figure. To be honest, until the end I did see some humor in the situation, but the nearly tragic ending squashed that feeling quickly.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think the people in this thread proclaiming this is the "funniest thing ever" should really stop and think about the kind of human being they are. 

Why? Lets take Frankie Boyle for example. Very popular Scottish comedian. My Dad thinks his comedy is disgusting and not funny, I however think it's hilarious. Same as Jimmy Carr. I find it funny, I think it's brilliant. Others don't. But you think that says something about me? If you think that what someone laughs at says a lot of about them as a person then I think that's an ill-judged comment. 

I hate Amazon. Hate them. Not bought anything from them for many years as they don't pay any where near as much tax in England as they should. I've never ever been in Starbucks, apart from it being terrible coffee, they really eff over coffee farmers and again have huge tax systems to avoid paying tax in the UK. I worked fort a major advertising company, in IT so not technically being an advertiser, but still worked for them. It killed me to the core. I was a facilitator to our company putting out adverts for companies I hated. I had to get out. My moral compass was badly out of shape, I didn't like what I was doing, even though all I was doing was networking offices across Europe together, but it really rotted my "soul". But I think Jimmy Carr making sometimes quite horrendous jokes funny.

It say people find things funny laughing at people means they are bad or horrible human beings is, at best, an immature statement. What one person finds funny, another will hate. It means very little other then that

Not so sure about that.

Take my word for it. Jackass was a TV and movie series produced for profit and fronted by an insured stunt-performer..

Quote...

"Philip John Clapp Jr., known by his stage name Johnny Knoxville (born March 11, 1971), is an American stunt performer, comedian, actor, screenwriter and film producer. He is best known as a co-creator and star of the MTV reality stunt show Jackass.

Quote...

"And while he's still doing stunts and pulling public pranks — like a blue-collar "Borat," only with better insurance — Knoxville also hopes his new, partly scripted movie, "Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa," opening Friday ..."

It say people find things funny laughing at people means they are bad or horrible human beings is, at best, an immature statement. What one person finds funny, another will hate. It means very little other then that

But where do you draw the line when laughing at videos showing people suffering?  Do you find it funny for example watching film-clips of bald headed skeleton children in Auschwitz awaiting the gas chamber?  No, probably not. But if you did we'd obviously be justified in thinking that you had a cruel and uncaring streak in your character.  This is an extreme example I know, but it depends where we draw the line..

Now lets say for example that a close member of your family (parent or sibling) fell in the street outside your house and broke an arm very badly, and lets say local teenagers were standing around taking videos of the event and howling with laughter at your relatives suffering.   Would you join in the fun and laughter? or would you feel sympathy for your relative and disdain for those laughing at their suffering?  Remember that it wasn't you who broke an arm, yet like any balanced person you'd naturally empathise with your family member's suffering.  Likewise, its possible to feel sympathy for strangers (who are after all, members of your world family).

Yes I would of thought that seat belts was a mandatory thing.

Think about what would happen if the boat rolled over, as it almost did, and all the occupants were buckled in.

To be honest, until the end I did see some humor in the situation, but the nearly tragic ending squashed that feeling quickly.

My sentiments exactly. I'm sure we've all found ourselves laughing at slips and trips, including, or especially, when it happens to us, but the the funny side quickly evaporates when serious (even if not life threatening) injuries ensue.

I'll never understand why people find other people getting hurt funny. In my opinion, it's just in incredible bad taste, but to each their own...

Failarmy has a strict no "serious" injury policy.

In an odd twist of irony, the only comment on that article you linked to also found it "funny..."

Yes I saw that.  'Einstein' obviously found the speedboat accident 'hilarious', then he went on to suggest that the occupants should have been 'buckled up'. Yet unless they.wore full body harnesses on racing-style seats (with head restraints)  then the occupants would still have been tossed around like rag dolls but from the waist up.  And should the boat have rolled over, as it almost did, then there could well have been drownings due to occupants' being trapped in their harnesses.

------------------------------

Comment......

"I saw this video yesterday. HILARIOUS!!!!! Those idiots SHOULD have been sitting down and buckled up if possible. Maybe then they would not have been tossed around like rag dolls!"

I saw this video yesterday. HILARIOUS!!!!! Those idiots SHOULD have been sitting down and buckled up if possible. Maybe then they would not have been tossed around like rag dolls!

I saw this video yesterday. HILARIOUS!!!!! Those idiots SHOULD have been sitting down and buckled up if possible. Maybe then they would not have been tossed around like rag dolls!

There is nothing worse than posting something that you find it funny but others strictly not, at least for me. On the other hand every other comment on YT is "lol", "hilarious", "omg I died laughing", "ahhaha rofl", etc.

Poppet right now:

18ixbyyc7qx7ljpg.jpg

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

But where do you draw the line when laughing at videos showing people suffering?  Do you find it funny for example watching film-clips of bald headed skeleton children in Auschwitz awaiting the gas chamber?  No, probably not. But if you did we'd obviously be justified in thinking that you had a cruel and uncaring streak in your character.  This is an extreme example I know, but it depends where we draw the line..

Now lets say for example that a close member of your family (parent or sibling) fell in the street outside your house and broke an arm very badly, and lets say local teenagers were standing around taking videos of the event and howling with laughter at your relatives suffering.   Would you join in the fun and laughter? or would you feel sympathy for your relative and disdain for those laughing at their suffering?  Remember that it wasn't you who broke an arm, yet like any balanced person you'd naturally empathise with your family member's suffering.  Likewise, its possible to feel sympathy for strangers (who are after all, members of your world family).

To be honest, I really don't think it matters. Why does it matter if someone finds something funny and someone else doesn't? As I said, to say a person is like X and Y because they find A funny, and similar I didn't find A funny so I must be the opposite of X and Y, would be ill-judged.

Lets put it another way; lets take a vegetarian who is a big supporter of animal rights, helps out with animal charities and does as much as they can to protect animals. You could argue that's a noble thing to do and one of the great good. But, they could love really dark comedy. Would you still say that, if you didn't think it funny, it says a lot about them as a person? A person who does so much for charity? Do I have sympathy for people I don't know, will never meet nor care about falling over in a boat? No not really. If it was my family then maybe I'd care. Does that mean that every video I must act like it was my family member? Or that event happened to me? Not going to happen. Not sure what the point would be