Sign in to follow this  
BAW662

Takeoff Clicking Sound

Hi all

I have been watching many videos and have noticed that when a B738 positively lifts off the runway, a clicking sound is heard.

My question is what is making this sound and why is it not simulated in the NGX? The B77L that PMDG have developed does have this feature.

Ryan

Clicking could be the trim wheel. The whump whump whump sound at gear retraction is the nosewheel hitting the snubbers.

Those are the likely culprits.

Matt Cee

If it's a single click at lift off it could be the landing gear lever lock opening to allow the gear lever to be moved beyond the OFF position to UP.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I know what you're talking about. It's a relay clicking, and is my unofficial signal to continue rotation without fear of a tail strike. It's obviously related to air/ground sensing, but what precisely it does I do not know.

Andrew Crowley

I know what you're talking about. It's a relay clicking, and is my unofficial signal to continue rotation without fear of a tail strike. It's obviously related to air/ground sensing, but what precisely it does I do not know.

See my post above. It allows the landing gear lever to be moved to UP. The noise isn't made by a relay but by the lock opening in the lever mechanism.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Could be, yeah, if it's the noise I'm picturing. It occurs right at weight off mains. I'd still consider it a relay in the sense that it's a remotely operated switch, but I see what you mean, it's the mechanical lock disengaging.

Andrew Crowley

Thanks guys. Any idea why it's not simulated in the NGX?

Ryan

The lever lock is simulated in the sense that you can't move the landing gear lever to UP when on ground.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Thanks Kevin. I'm just a little curious as to why the sound isn't simulated as it is really helpful as I know then that the wheels have left the ground.

Thanks Kevin. I'm just a little curious as to why the sound isn't simulated as it is really helpful as I know then that the wheels have left the ground.

+1. Surely hope for a fix in SP2, should that ever be considered.

sig.gif