Sign in to follow this  

Turning Radius

Hi all.

Is there anyway I can increase the turning radius of the NGX by fiddling with the settings? You should be able to do a 180 turn on a 45m wide runway but I can't in the sim! 

Sam Breese.

Hi all.

Is there anyway I can increase the turning radius of the NGX by fiddling with the settings? You should be able to do a 180 turn on a 45m wide runway but I can't in the sim!

Sam Breese.

Hi Sam, yes there is. The contact points section of aircraft.cfg limits nosewheel angle to 60 deg. It should go to 75. If you change the 60 to 75 turning radius is reduced and a 180 turn can then be made on the runway. There are a couple of threads in the forum with the details but from memory it's the first line in the contact points section.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The nosewheel steering angle limit is set by changing this entry in aircraft.cfg:

[contact_points]                                           // IAS values increased
point.0=1,  40.823,   0.000,  -8.191,  1100, 0, 1.125,  60.0, 0.714, 1.31, 0.725, 8.0, 7.5, 0, 245.0, 335.0

Increase it from 60.0 to 75.0 for more realistic taxying.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I'm not really confident in tweaking the config file by myself (as it means that support would be given by PMDG in case of further issue).

The question is why PMDG would set 60 deg in the config file if the correct is 75 deg?

And do they support the modification?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I'm not really confident in tweaking the config file by myself (as it means that support would be given by PMDG in case of further issue).

The question is why PMDG would set 60 deg in the config file if the correct is 75 deg?

And do they support the modification?

Hi Romaine,

By it's very nature any such mod is unsupported by PMDG. I have no idea why they set it to 60 deg. All I know is that ground handling is much improved if you change that number to the correct value for a 737. It's a very isolated change and cannot affect the fundamental flight dynamics of the NGX.

To make the change all you have to do is open aircraft.cfg in Notepad, it's just text. Back up the original first in case things go wrong. As a trial, you could change just one model, e.g. the 738, and compare taxying to an unmodified one, e.g. the 738WL, to see what you think. Making the change is very unlikely to cause you any problems you might need to get support for. But it's entirely up to you. Leave it alone if you aren't comfortable with it.

Cheers,

Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the answer. Actually, when I say "not confident in tweaking...", I didn't mean that I'm technically not comfortable with it but rather legally.

I have done a lot of tweaking on some config files and even on PMDG's (for fspassengers for instance but it was only panel display...  :rolleyes: ).

I was rather surprised that PMDG's did such a "mistake" as it seems quite simple to verify and correct. And therefore, I was questioning a bit the finding here. (sorry no harm intended here, don't shot at me! ^_^ )

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Is there a way to operate the nosewheel steering tiller in the PMDG using FSX ? You would need that to use the full real angle. The rudder pedals limit nosewheel deflection I believe by 15 degrees in the real airplane so increasing the number to 75 would make centerline taxiing more sensitive and difficut ?

First post and unable to edit my signature at this time.

Alberto Ferracuti

You can configure an axis to the tiller in fsx through fsuipc. 

But the tiller is not modelled separately to the rudder in fsx afaik and in any case, no matter how you configure your controls, the axis used for the tiller will also control the rudder and your rudder pedals will also control the tiller with no limitation in angle.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Thanks kevinh

Setting the angle from 60 to 75 is far more realistic and has fixed the problem, a far more realistic turning radius and nearly representative regarding what you'd get in the aircraft if you turn the tiller full left or right.

Sam Breese.

My thanks to all of you for your input. Now I too will enjoy more realistic nosewheel turn radius !!!

Alberto Ferracuti