Sign in to follow this  
Lorby_SI

Lights - issues with DX10

Hi all,

maybe someone has an idea about this. I have been using DX10 with the fixer for quite some time now, but from day one I had problems with the lights, that I am pretty good at ignoring. But still, would be nice if this worked...

1. Lights turn off and on depending on the angle that I look at them. This is particularly annoying with the ground lighting of roads and settlements, as I use TrackIR. I look Left-On, Straight-Off, Right-partly on.... Move my head a fraction to see better - off.

2. AI planes nav lights and strobes switch off when they enter a certain zone around me. And they stay off, even when they move away agin.

LORBY-SI

1. Lights turn off and on depending on the angle that I look at them. This is particularly annoying with the ground lighting of roads and settlements, as I use TrackIR. I look Left-On, Straight-Off, Right-partly on.... Move my head a fraction to see better - off.

See page 49 of Steve's DX10 Fixer manual. This is usually only an issue at airports, I believe. Maybe this will help.

Hi, thanks for the reply, but it is not the light fields - I know about those. It happens en route too, with the ground lighting.

LORBY-SI

The rule with FSX in DX10 mode is that you need a couple of texture changes before effect style lights start working. In outside view your aircraft lights will (assuming you have used the fixer options) give you that.

In VC view you will usually lose a block of lights somewhere but it is rare to be noticeable. I can only surmise that the effect lights you are using don't have any texture changes.

Have you converted effects?

If you cannot solve it any other way you can at a pinch add a fx_dx10shield.fx to your aircraft so it is visible from the VC view (if you understand the aircraft cfg file lights entry). To do this first add a fx_dx10shieldtest.fx which is a set of red lights and position it just in front of the aircraft so you see them when looking around the vc. When you have it positioned correct swap it for a fx_dx10shiled.fx which are a matching set of invisible lights.

Hi Steve,

many thanks for your reply. I converted the effects regularly since I started with the Fixer about a year ago. At least I think I do - I get the little window where it says how many files have been converted. There always is a sizeable number of files that have not been touched, according to the info. I'm probably using effects lights for the ground lighting as UTX and some ORBX stuff is installed.

It may be related to my field of view and zoom setting of 1.00-1.15 (3 screen Surround setup with TrackIR and EZDOK). I always have trouble with the moving shadows too.

I will try the fx_dxshield fix, but that will probably have to wait until the weekend.

LORBY-SI

Hi,

I have observed problem with ICE OBS and LOGO lights in PMDG JS41 aircraft.

Screen presents how they look:

t2517347_obslightsdx10.jpg

Is there a way do improve appearance of these lights?

Lucas

Hi all,

maybe someone has an idea about this. I have been using DX10 with the fixer for quite some time now, but from day one I had problems with the lights, that I am pretty good at ignoring. But still, would be nice if this worked...

2. AI planes nav lights and strobes switch off when they enter a certain zone around me. And they stay off, even when they move away agin.

I am also experiencing the mentioned problems with various airports. Unfortunately it is really annoying and only certain apron lights (the blue ones for example) are affected. Interestingly the runway lights do work fine at all airports. I have tried to use the Light Fields at the problematic airfields, but the problems still remained.

I have attached my settings from the fixer in the link below, maybe someone has a clue or answer to my problem?

Cheers,

Sebastian

http://www.filedropper.com/mysettings

Are these standard nav lights with this aircraft ?

what do they look like closer up that is a very distant view.

1 - No. One switch turns NAV and TAIL lights on and separate switch turns the OBS lights on (these on wings).

2 - It's doesn't matter what distance and view angle I set.

Lucas

Sebastian have you installed light fields for the airfields as described in post 2 and have you converted effects. It's worth uninstalling the libraries and reinstalling them to make sure.

Post 4 fully summarises the situation. If you have lights that disappear then a lightfield should fix it provided you can see the lightfield, if the coords for the airfield are changed from default then you may not be able to see it.

there are no fixer settings connected with effect lights, the problem is in the fsx dx10 engine not the shaders and so the only fix is a workaround which is what the lightfield is.

What airport do you have issues with?

Lucas, you referred to ICE lights which is what is confusing me.

If you are just using the pmdg With no addons then i imagine the lights are implemented by pmdg as legacy textures not lights. Therefore I suggest you first check if there are any 8 bit textures and convert if necessary. If not experiment with the legacy slider and options to see if any fix the appearance for you

Hi Steve,

one airport where I experience the problem is Mega Airport Munich from Aerosoft. I have reinstalled all the libraries, also I have added the appropriate light field for EDDM, but the problem still remains. It is also completely independent from VC or external views.

I have attached two screenshots, both where taken in an intervall of around 3 seconds. There is an continuous flashing of the blue taxiway and runway approach lights. Notice, that the runway lights themselves seem to be unaffected.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Sebastian

http://abload.de/img/2015-11-1_12-43-20-68xcpmj.png

http://abload.de/img/2015-11-1_12-43-24-60sbo39.png

Lucas, you referred to ICE lights which is what is confusing me.

If you are just using the pmdg With no addons then i imagine the lights are implemented by pmdg as legacy textures not lights. Therefore I suggest you first check if there are any 8 bit textures and convert if necessary. If not experiment with the legacy slider and options to see if any fix the appearance for you

Steve, do you mean set "8-Bit Texture Fix" option? ...or maybe should I try use ToolBox and convert 8-bit textures (what is described in Chapter 20 in Manual)?

Sebastian

At EDDM I have managed to get the Trike into approximately the same location and I cannot see any light issues.

When I uninstall the light field, then the blue lights go off as I change viewing angle but they don't flash for me.   At the same time the runway threshold green lights also go out.

Can you run through how you installed the light field and which options you selected when you installed the libraries?