Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

P3D,Windows 10, and image

You can't avoid doing an install over an existing version of Windows as all Windows 10 free upgrades are just that (otherwise you have to buy a new key). You have to install a version of Windows (7 SP1 or 8) and activate it first. Then you can install windows 10 from an ISO or on line and tell it 'clean install'. It will automatically activate.

If you then want to clean reinstall in future, create an ISO from the current installation. The license will allow you to use it on a new machine as long as it is only ever installed on one machine.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

You can't avoid doing an install over an existing version of Windows 

I understand all of that - I am running RTM (insider updated 3 times) but as posted in post # 12 he could not install p3d - thats what I am questioning as I have not formatted my ssd and installed my iso yet

Rich Sennett

Been using this for years, has saved me a few times too. I have the paid version, which is well worth it. The free version has less features. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I'll second that. I have the paid version.

Saved my b### more than once and works every time. 

Highly recommended.

Mark

To clarify my above points, i am getting an error when attempting to activate P3D, it installs just fine.  The Error is below:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 2.5.12946.0, time stamp: 0x555f2e54
Faulting module name: IP2Lib32.DLL, version: 3.2.0.1, time stamp: 0x51890831
Exception code: 0xc000041d

IP2Lib32.dll appears to relate to the license protection system.

...and yes this was a new install of both Windows (from 7 to 10) and P3D latest version.  I did uninstall it as per the instructions.

I am not sure what to do now, i am thinking about moving back to Windows 7.

Ian R Tyldesley

To clarify my above points, i am getting an error when attempting to activate P3D, it installs just fine. The Error is below:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 2.5.12946.0, time stamp: 0x555f2e54

Faulting module name: IP2Lib32.DLL, version: 3.2.0.1, time stamp: 0x51890831

Exception code: 0xc000041d

IP2Lib32.dll appears to relate to the license protection system.

...and yes this was a new install of both Windows (from 7 to 10) and P3D latest version. I did uninstall it as per the instructions.

I am not sure what to do now, i am thinking about moving back to Windows 7.

you may want to contact Lockheed to reset your activation as I'm sure that's the problem

you may want to contact Lockheed to reset your activation as I'm sure that's the problem

I have posted on LM's forum but there response is that they don't support Windows 10.  They didn't mention it could be the activation limit.

I don't think its me exceeding the activation limit, i did remove it the correct way, also i would have thought LM would make the exceeded license limit more meaningful than a crash.

Ian R Tyldesley

Further information i hope that some of you may find useful.

I was able to get the activation to appear by switching the Prepar3D.exe to Windows XP SP3 compatibility.  I can't get further than that, it appears i have misplaced my activation password.

Ian R Tyldesley

Ian,

Just to clarify:

1.  You wipe clean partition and fresh install of Win10 Pro?

2.  When installing did you "Run As Admin..." for Setup.exe?

3.  Try running regsvr32 on the IP2Lib32.dll see here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb490985.aspx

4.  Make sure Win10 isn't blocking anything (BranchCache via event viewer might be able to expose what's going on but that's Win 10 enterprise only)

5.  EDIT: you're running a legitimate version of P3D (don't be offended, needs to be asked for this type of error)

IP2Lib32.dll can detect if you running under Hyper-V, Virtual PC, Parallets, VBox, VMWare, etc. etc. - so if you are this "might" be part of the problem.

IP2Lib32 isn't part of VC++ redist

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: are you stand alone or month to month for P3D license?

Just to clarify:

HI Rob,

1.Yes, actually an entirely different disk, new partition, completely fresh install.

2. Indeed

3. No i didn't, can try it and report back.

4. It didn't even get to the activiation part, i don't think it was a firewall issue.

5. Not offended at all, it's not running in any of the virtualized technologies.  Again, didn't even get to the activation part, errors on attempting to open.

Stand alone. 

Ian R Tyldesley