Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

Two silly question about FSX and weather with ASN

Hi, I recently started to use ASN, and I was wondering the following about weather injection programs that somebody may know.

For both, talking about using the "live weather mode". Since I see the program needs to be open and talking with the sim, I assume it's a dynamic thing and not just something that is set and forget, but just in case:

- Is weather being injected *constantly*?  Meaning, I start in location "X", ASN detects where I am looks up the weather for that location and sends it to FSX who in turn displays it (I guess that's the micro pause I see in the sim where some visual aspects change suddenly at the beginning?), but also as I fly along is it constantly talking to the sim and updating the conditions (and displaying them) for where I happen to fly over, every "xxx" time?

- Is this injection when using the real time option regardless of what time I selected in the sim?  (Meaning if I start out say at Miami, and it is now in the real world 1 pm, but I choose to start at 8 pm, ASN will look up the *current* 1pm weather and display it in the sim, and so I will be flying with current 1pm weather but in an 8pm visual display?)

Thanks!! ;)

Simple explanation.

If your using live, then the weather injects at that time when you open ASN and it downloads the world's weather and sends it to FSX. It only injects new weather conditions when it updates depending on how often you have it set to update, every 5 to 30 minutes.

Also keep in mind that not all weather stations update that frequently. If you look at some weather stations at airports you'll notice they may only update conditions only every hour, but if weather at the station is changing a lot due to storms moving it, then they may update every 5 to 15 minutes depending on what's happening.

To you second question, the live weather is live regardless of what time is set in the sim. The only time that is different is when ASN is set to use historical weather and to use the sim time to get it.

Of course you can use historical weather without use sim time and then use whatever time in FSX you want with weather from another time.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

And just to add to the great answer preceding this one... the dev's at Hifi (ASN) have made made the program work very well at combining and interpolate (insert) the weather collected from nearby reporting stations without weather "popping" in.  To improve weather depiction even more load a flightplan into ASN using the flightplan tab and the weather along your route will be injected for seamless transitions between weather systems.

Enjoy your flight!

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks to both! Works as I expected (and hoped! ) then :lol:

Just starting out with all this but so far it's awesome! B)

Thanks to both! Works as I expected (and hoped! ) then :lol:

Just starting out with all this but so far it's awesome! B)

Glad you understand now. ASN is a wonderful program and the best weather program I've ever used since I bought the original Active Sky back in 2003.

Just don't let yourself get caught up in "the weather outside my house doesn't match what ASN is depicting. "

That's why I mentioned the part about how often real world weather stations that ASN pulls from update. It's not uncommon for a station like KDAL near where I live to post a METAR at 1 pm indicating clear sky's then at 1:30 pm it's partly cloudy but the station at KDAL hasn't updated the METAR yet. So then a user goes and loads ASN and FSX for KDAL using real time weather and gets upset because ASN and FSX don't match what he sees outside his house. ASN or any weather program can only depict the info they get from weather stations which often only update every hour or so, and since weather can change so fast, there will be times when the sim won't match what you see outside.

I recommend using the option "force historical time to sim time" !!

This way you will get the best depiction of weather's diurnal & local patterns such as morning fogs, afternoon seabreeze, cooler night temperatures etc.

for now, cheers

john martin

I recommend using the option "force historical time to sim time" !!

This way you will get the best depiction of weather's diurnal & local patterns such as morning fogs, afternoon seabreeze, cooler night temperatures etc.

Yeah, except if you want to do a night flight in the sim while it's still afternoon where you live, you'll have to use last night's weather since the new weather hasn't happened yet.

You'll still get the same accuracy and richness of depiction using live as you would using historical, no difference and one isn't more accurate than the other.

or if you want that afternoon flight in another (lagging)timezone .. as I generally do !!

for now, cheers

john martin

Just bought asn Rex soft clouds and for some reason decided to enable direct x 10 WOAH!!, it's soooo good I don't feel like I'm playing the same sim anymore! Doesn't quite pertain to this topic but I had to tell somebody!

Why isn't the OP posting in the official HiFi forums?

Doesn't quite pertain to this topic but I had to tell somebody!

Should I say it? No, I better not.

Why isn't the OP posting in the official HiFi forums?

Should I say it? No, I better not.

The helpfullness of your post is inmeasurable...

Thankfully not everyone is like that..

You ripped a long standing member of these forums for not posting at the official REX forum, but then it's OK if you don't post at the HiFi official forum. 

You ripped a long standing member of these forums for not posting at the official REX forum, but then it's OK if you don't post at the HiFi official forum. 

Of course it is... Not only was I just joking him about the ridiculous comment of not visiting other websites in "his 11 years", but additionally I don't have any issues that require support.... I merely had curiosity about this and the question benefits more from the input of users in the way they use the product and some other creative ideas, which has been clearly demonstrated by the replies received (well except yours of course). But hey, whatever gets your post count up I guess...