Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Windows 10 updates no choice folks

Found a solution around this and works fine for me.

type “services” in the Windows 10 search box and click View Local Services.

Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click the service. Set the startup type to Disabled. If the service is already running, click Stop. After the service has stopped, click OK.

If you now click Check for Updates in the Windows Update app, you should see a reassuring error message. This means updates are now turned off. If you want to update windows, simply re enable.

Hope this helps

Thanks much - made the switch - see what happens :)

Rich Sennett

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584078/windows-10-automatic-updates-start-causing-problems/

might want to read this too - especially what their attitude is towards people who hack windows to disable updates.

Seems like I'll be staying with 7.

Considering the amount of anger this update policy has caused around various forums, I'd expect MS to lighten up at some point. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I just cancelled my Windows 10 reservation. Not taking ANY chances. Later when they sort it out, I'll consider upgrading.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Pro edition is suppose to be able to have controls on what is installed - yet you dont - super

No, it isn't.

HOME and PRO are both set to always automatic.

The only difference is that PRO has the ability to "defer" updates for a certain number of months. This means that the updates will not install right away, but rather, later.

(Also, keep in mind that PRO has the Group Policy Editor, which does contain a setting for turning off automatic updates... However, I don't think it works.)

type “services” in the Windows 10 search box and click View Local Services.

Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click the service. Set the startup type to Disabled. If the service is already running, click Stop. After the service has stopped, click OK.

If you now click Check for Updates in the Windows Update app, you should see a reassuring error message. This means updates are now turned off. If you want to update windows, simply re enable.

Hope this helps

This does work, but the problem is that you will no longer receive security updates (Which, to be honest, should be the only thing that Windows Updates pushes out).

It's funny how wrong MS is in regards to updates. They think that by forcing updates, everyone will be on the same version. As a result, many people will simply turn off updates.

They messed with something that has been the same since XP (maybe even prior). This is the result.

Microsoft differentiate between Updates and Upgrades (not sure what the difference is meant to be). Updates can't be deferred. Upgrades can be deferred.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

(...)

Seems like I'll be staying with 7.

Considering the amount of anger this update policy has caused around various forums, I'd expect MS to lighten up at some point. 

Vic

Hopefully MS will rectify this and the dust will settle soon enough (at least before the end of security updates for Win7 in January 2020 :P).

Was planning to upgrade to Windows 10. I guess I won't now!

We will stick with Windows 7 for another 5-10 years, or until MS can come up with a OS based on UNIX infrastructure.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I wouldn't believe it. Are we around April 1st?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

So, does this mean that, if we get Windows 10 this week, that our current nVidia drivers will be replaced by the ones that MS wants us to have and we can't do anything about that?  Isn't possible to just go back and re-install the newest drivers after the Windows 10 install?

PS  I just found this at ZDNet that may help as it says that MS has released a tool that allows us to block Windows 10 updates: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Well, I'km one of those in the Loooooooooooong queue awaiting the upgrade from my Win 7 64 bit Home Premium into, so I hope, some kind of Home Premium Win 10 64 bit, but after reading all of this stuff, I am seriously considering dropping the update.

The "salvation" KB 3073930 could be an alternative, but the upgrade will nonetheless install the Nvidia drivers and then I will have to uninstall it and get the latest win 10 version from the Nvidia site.

Of course I will let the update run, because before wednesday I will create a full backup of my present Win 7 install, and will be able to revert back to it should anything go South...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

You don't have to do the free update for a year following release.

I'm thinking you would need to be brave, and possibly foolish, to do it on day one...I'm thinking around month 11, or when I get a DX12 video card, whichever is first...

Cheers

Keith