Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Is there a way to check Scenery files?

Over the years, I have collected a lot of freeware & Payware scenery.  The payware almost always works fine, but once in a while, ill get an error message popping up say "This scenery may not look correct" or something to that effect. Its usually a scenery package I don't even remember downloading. I usually write it down and then go back into my custom scenery directory and delete the offending scenery.

I try to keep up on all the different library's that different packages use to avoid this type of thing.

My question is...

1. Is there a utility that can go through all your installed scenery files to check for problems? I doubt it, but Ill ask anyways. 

2. Is there a way to turn off the warning that comes up to tell you the scenery package may not look correct?

Thanks for any info.

Rob

1. Is there a utility that can go through all your installed scenery files to check for problems? I doubt it, but Ill ask anyways. 

The Log.txt will usually have a detailed report of what's missing, when I get these it's usually a scenery library that needs updating -- the usual culprit is OpenSceneryX

2. Is there a way to turn off the warning that comes up to tell you the scenery package may not look correct?

I think you can only turn off the warning message for incomplete scenery installations ( it's under Settings > Operations & Warnings ). 

I also "collect" a lot of freeware scenery for area in which I fly.  For some reason, many (maybe 10%) of the freeware scenery will result in an error listing in log.txt and/or show an error "Not Look Correct" warning.

Until you become proficient at working in WED, I would suggest making a COPY of the bad scenery file and work on that.  Then move the bad original out to a safe location, replace it with your corrected Scenery Pack and see if it works.  If so, you can discard the original or keep it if you like.

What I do is identify the scenery file causing the problem and open it in WED.  You will have to also load the apt.dat file from the offending scenery in order to display it on-screen.  Then run the Validate function.  That will give a window with the type of error and the error source (object, runway, etc.) will be highlighted in the panes on the right of the WED screen.  It is usually not difficult to correct the error and move to the next error until you obtain an "all clear" message.

Common errors include bad starting ramp locations, bad taxi sign syntax and ATC routes which cross over without a stop or merge.  Some are easy to fix after you learn the program (use the Help file for the WED manual) and some errors are so much trouble to fix that I sometimes just delete the object causing the problem. 

After you "fix" the scenery, save it in WED format and then Export Scenery Pack.

Thanks for the info.  Ill give that a try.

Rob