Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

Very little AI traffic at Airports and via ATC

Guest JustanotherPilot

I have the sliders at 60% for Airline traffic (tried 100%) but notice very little airport traffic at airports  or in the air through ATC. I'm not using any commercial traffic addons but have  WOI and ###ai as well as the Fullterrain/Orbx 'Australia' freeware packs installed. My AI traffic installation is identical to my FSX one which displays traffic according to the slider settings. I've checked that all of the traffic .bgl files are in the right P3D folders.

What am I doing wrong here, is there a difference between P3D and FSX as far as how AI traffic is generated via each bgl file?

I'm not using any commercial traffic addons but have WOI and ###ai as well as the Fullterrain/Orbx 'Australia' freeware packs installed.

In case you didn't know ### AI is considered pirated freeware traffic and talking about it, promoting it, or asking for support about it is against Avsim's Terms of Service and can get topics locked and members banned. An example of that fact can be found in this thread. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/469856-ai-traffic-for-prepar3d-is-released/

My AI traffic installation is identical to my FSX one which displays traffic according to the slider settings. I've checked that all of the traffic .bgl files are in the right P3D folders.

What am I doing wrong here, is there a difference between P3D and FSX as far as how AI traffic is generated via each bgl file?

The most probable cause of your problem is that your mixing FS9 and FSX traffic .bgls. The result of doing so is this.

"FS9 traffic files are compatible with FSX. However, as described more fully in the User Manual, if FSX "sees" a compiled-for-FS9 traffic file, it will generate AI traffic for that file and any other compiled-for-FS9 traffic files it "sees"; but, it will not generate traffic for any compiled-for-FSX files. This has nothing to do with AI Flight Planner. It is a FSX "feature".

So, if you don't get (or suddenly stop getting) AI traffic from compiled-for-FSX traffic files, the first thing to look for is a compiled-for FS9 file somewhere within FSX's scope - probably in the Scenery\World\Scenery folder. You'll find AI Flight Planner's Find FS9 Files function very useful for this."

http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?folder=AIFP&function=be-aware

The ORBX traffic files are already compiled in FSX format but WOAI traffic is compiled in FS9 format, even if you download the package that says it for FSX, the flight plan .bgls are still compiled in FS9 format.

To get all the traffic showing, you'll need to use a program like AIFP to convert the FS9 traffic files to FSX format.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I use My Traffic 6. I paid a few dollars for it but it works perfectly. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I use My Traffic 6. I paid a few dollars for it but it works perfectly.

Bob is it hard on your FPS?, this is gonna be my next purchase

Bob is it hard on your FPS?, this is gonna be my next purchase

I notice no difference at all with My Traffic and default AI, as far as frame rates,  and it works 100 times better. You can set the levels rather low and still get a great deal of traffic. I use mostly airline traffic and I set it at 25%, and have more than I need. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Guest JustanotherPilot

In case you didn't know ### AI is considered pirated freeware traffic and talking about it, promoting it, or asking for support about it is against Avsim's Terms of Service and can get topics locked and members banned. An example of that fact can be found in this thread. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/469856-ai-traffic-for-prepar3d-is-released/

The most probable cause of your problem is that your mixing FS9 and FSX traffic .bgls. The result of doing so is this.

"FS9 traffic files are compatible with FSX. However, as described more fully in the User Manual, if FSX "sees" a compiled-for-FS9 traffic file, it will generate AI traffic for that file and any other compiled-for-FS9 traffic files it "sees"; but, it will not generate traffic for any compiled-for-FSX files. This has nothing to do with AI Flight Planner. It is a FSX "feature".

So, if you don't get (or suddenly stop getting) AI traffic from compiled-for-FSX traffic files, the first thing to look for is a compiled-for FS9 file somewhere within FSX's scope - probably in the Scenery\World\Scenery folder. You'll find AI Flight Planner's Find FS9 Files function very useful for this."

http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?folder=AIFP&function=be-aware

The ORBX traffic files are already compiled in FSX format but WOAI traffic is compiled in FS9 format, even if you download the package that says it for FSX, the flight plan .bgls are still compiled in FS9 format.

To get all the traffic showing, you'll need to use a program like AIFP to convert the FS9 traffic files to FSX format.

WOW.. I wasn't aware ###ai was pirated stuff, thanks for the warning, I thought I downloaded it from a reputable website as freeware after watching a youtube video, didn't occur to me that it wasn't legit - I have now removed aircraft and flightplans associated with them.

I've looked at the ..//world scenery and the traffic bgl are there - mixed bag of fs9/FSX. Thanks for pointing me to a starting point

By mixing WOAI and the pirated traffic, you'll run into problems as the WoAI stuff will not be compiled in the FSX format. Even though the WoAI installers mentions FSX, it only does so  for reference to the FSX folder tree but still compiles the files in FS9 format.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

By mixing WOAI and the pirated traffic, you'll run into problems as the WoAI stuff will not be compiled in the FSX format. Even though the WoAI installers mentions FSX, it only does so for reference to the FSX folder tree but still compiles the files in FS9 format.

That's what I think as well.

I notice no difference at all with My Traffic and default AI, as far as frame rates,  and it works 100 times better. You can set the levels rather low and still get a great deal of traffic. I use mostly airline traffic and I set it at 25%, and have more than I need. 

Thanks for the reply Bob,   great stuff and loads of options as well  :rolleyes:

Guest JustanotherPilot

Just like to pass on to all that since I removed all of the traffic bgl files and associated aircraft, and reinstalled only the Orbx Australia package I now have Traffic at airports and through ATC. Now that I think of it, it seems logical that Prepar3d just couldn't cope with the volume of different traffic bgl's. I had several that would have come into play at the same time/location, the poor system would have been maxed out and confused despite low slider settings.

Thanks everyone!

The sim can handle the amount of traffic files you throw at it (I've got around 1200 in mine), all of them just need to be in the correct format.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Guest JustanotherPilot

The sim can handle the amount of traffic files you throw at it (I've got around 1200 in mine), all of them just need to be in the correct format.

Interesting to know, I wonder why mine was choked.

Interesting to know, I wonder why mine was choked.

I already explained why it wasn't working in the first reply to you, then Dave came along and essentially said the same thing.

You can't mix FS9 formatted and FSX formatted traffic files together. I quoted the exact reason and also provided you a link as well as a solution, which is to convert the FS9 format WOAI traffic files to FSX format using AIFP. The latest version of AIFP can be downloaded from here -> http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ai-flight-planner-development-version-3-1-13-a-released.21928/

You can have as much AI as you want, although performance will obviously suffer the more you add, but it won't just disappear due to the volume.

Guest JustanotherPilot

I already explained why it wasn't working in the first reply to you, then Dave came along and essentially said the same thing.

You can't mix FS9 formatted and FSX formatted traffic files together. I quoted the exact reason and also provided you a link as well as a solution, which is to convert the FS9 format WOAI traffic files to FSX format using AIFP. The latest version of AIFP can be downloaded from here -> http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ai-flight-planner-development-version-3-1-13-a-released.21928/

You can have as much AI as you want, although performance will obviously suffer the more you add, but it won't just disappear due to the volume.

I heard what you said, I thought I had converted all of my fs9 files (WOI) to FSX already with AI flightplanner, I was aware of compatibility issues.

Anyway it works now, thanks

Glad it's working now, but if you were aware of the compatibility issues and had converted the files, I'm not sure why you asked why yours choked, especially after being told there is no limit on the amount of AI you can have installed?

If you'd done all of the conversions and it still didn't work, then it's likely that you simply missed one file. Easy to do. I once installed over 300+ WOAI packages at once and went about converting them, but none of the traffic showed up. Turns out through process of elimination that I missed one traffic .bgl and that fouled it all up. Once I converted that one file it all worked fine.