I have 8GB of RAM on my machine.  After running FSX and shutting it down, FSX reloads faster as long as the computer is not shut down and other programs have not been loaded.  I think that is due to what remains in RAM.  The faster reloads happened prior to installing PrimoCache.  My thinking was that PrimoCache would speed up the initial loading of FSX after the computer was shut down and rebooted since the cache on the SSD is "persistant."  This does not seem to be the case, or if the loading of FSX is in fact faster, it is barely noticable. 

In addition to buying PrimoCache, I purchased a second SSD for around $90.  It could be that if one were to consider purchasing an SSD for use with FSX, it might be better to forego PrimoCache and install FSX on the new Solid State Drive.  Running scenery from a separate drive seems to help a great deal.  I rebuilt the computer on which I ran FSX and exchanged the hard drive with an SSD, and the improved performance is impressive.

I also installed PrimoCache on another machine on which I run some very resource hungry programs.  I've had it running for only a couple days, and the jury is still out on that -- I haven't really put it to any tests yet, but I hope it's closer to the promotional claims that were made regarding FSX.

Based on the glowing "Holy Grail" reviews/promotionals by PC Aviator and others, I purchased two licenses for two different systems.  Normally, I would not purchase anything without having done more research, but I tusted the sources, and I regret that I did not test the free trial prior to purchase.  If you are considering this product, please do yourself a great favor by testing the software on your system prior to buying, which is what I wish I had done in retrospect.  What I gained by my purchase was a reality check, a learning experience, but no perceivable improvements in either of the systems.  Otherwise, for me it was a waste of time and money, and I have unistalled the software. 

I use primocache and highly recommend it.  It's not just the SSD performance that you get.  I have 32GB of ram, and 12 of it is used as primocache.  Once you load a flight, and primocache puts the files into the RAM cache, load times are a fraction of what they were.  If you're loading p3d itself it does the same.  

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND PRIMOCACHE!!!   In particular if you have enough ram to use the RAM cache, which is really what the software is about.

PrimoCache probably helps with the 4gb memory space limit in P3D, not directly, but swapping a texture or what have you out of RAM is going to be much faster than off an SSD.  Certainly the decreased lag in memory movement doesn't hurt.

This is where I get the idea that LM could get around the 4gb limit with a utility that preloads files in ram, and a simple handle swap to p3d is done when p3d calls for it.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "MOBO | RAM | CPU | HDD | SSD". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Interesting thread, I have a system base on i7 920 oc @3.9GHz a SSD for Windows 7 and a normal HDD for FSX:SE and 6GB RAM.

Do you think PrimoCache can give me some benefits?

EDIT: I only have usb 2.0 not 3

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Without opening a new thread, does anyone know how to configure this app for FSX?

I have windows7 on first SSD (C:/) and FSX:SE on a second normal HDD (E:/)

I have created a L2 cache on a 64Giga USB, and cached only E:/ but for what I can see I only L1 memory is working, no L2 (completely untouched).

Any help?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270