Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Recent major winds at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

From storm a few days ago.

So is that all pilot or are electronics doing A WHOLE BUNCH to help try to smooth things out?

Pilot, for sure. An autopilot is only certified to a set limit, if it's anything more than said limit, it must be flown manually.

Wasn't he oscillating too hard? 

In this video you see planes approaching what it looks like (emphasis on "looks like" as weather might have changed of course) similar conditions and only the KLM 777 went nuts.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Saw this earlier today on FlightAware. The comments section over there wasn't exactly enlightening but it seems like some funny business may have been going on...

This one performed an emergency landing. Did I learn something new here?

Is a emergency landing a flaps up landing when strong wind? I didn't read anything

about flaps being broken or something.

It's possible, at least if you have a weather generator with historical data, to replicate this conditions.

I tried it in P3Dv2, using ASN.  The weather depiction, around 11:25 UTC is just great. Unfortunately the winds and turbulence are always tame in FSX / P3D, and not even ASN with the sliders of intensity to their extreme right can give us as close an experience like the one we can get, for instance, in Aerowinx PSX.

I then used P3Dv2 as a visuals generator, and PSX for the simulation, and Whow!!!!!  If it wasn't for the fact that I have a low-end rig, and the dense clouds are heavy in the FPS, it would have been an ultra-realistic experience :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Guest Mik75

This one performed an emergency landing. Did I learn something new here?

Is a emergency landing a flaps up landing when strong wind? I didn't read anything

about flaps being broken or something.

They were low on fuel, hence the emergency status. A less / no flap landing can be done in very windy conditions to have a better control over the aircraft, didn't know that but that's what I read somewhere. This was their 4th attempt for a landing, and with the low fuel level, they obviously wanted to bring the aircraft down safely. To be honest, I can't remember to have seen a no flap landing on video before. It looks very fast and challenging, this crew did a great job!

Wow. This flaps up landing looks really fast.

Good job

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png