Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Turbine Duke V2 - losing mouse pointer function in flight

As far as I recall the issue I am having has so far appeared in the Turbine Duke v2. Have had this happen at least three times in flight and cannot figure out how to resolve the issue or how to prevent it. I have also had it happen on the ground a small number of times.  When the issues occurs my mouse pointer ceases to perform any function in the VC. The pointer is there and moves about freely (this does not appear to be the FSX issue where the pointer freezes in the lower right corner) and the pointer does provide access to the FSX menus.  But when this occurs the mouse pointer will not perform any VC function such as changing frequencies, altimeter setting, toggling pop-up GPS windows, et al, and will not change shape at VC spots where it normally does. 

On the ground the issue can usually but not always be resolved by switching to another aircraft, then back. But in flight that presents other issues.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any known resolution?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank,

It's a known issue and can happen from time to time.  The issue (I think) is related to the lights they use and the water effects you have set...some conflict or some overload of a system resource...at least that's what I've noticed.  For my system, I have to turn my water effects to Low 2.0 and the problem never happens.  Alternately, you can switch to the other set of landing lights RealAir provided in their config panel and that should fix it as well.  Either way should work.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've had this issue in a few payware aircraft. Fixed it by removing the camera listings in the aircraft.cfg file and make sure in the panel.cfg all the gaugeXX entries were correctly starting at gauge00 and counting up

Hi Frank,

It's a known issue and can happen from time to time.  The issue (I think) is related to the lights they use and the water effects you have set...some conflict or some overload of a system resource...at least that's what I've noticed.  For my system, I have to turn my water effects to Low 2.0 and the problem never happens.  Alternately, you can switch to the other set of landing lights RealAir provided in their config panel and that should fix it as well.  Either way should work.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg, will try that and see. Any way you know of to recover in flight when it does happen?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Any way you know of to recover in flight when it does happen?

I've never tried it since I adjusted my water slider, but you might try adjusting your water slider when in flight.  Might work.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

make sure in the panel.cfg all the gaugeXX entries were correctly starting at gauge00 and counting up

Will have to try that out as well. I note that in my .cfg file the gauges are currently numbered starting at 01. Looking at the copy I made of the original panel.cfg file (immediately after installaton) I note the same numbering beginning at 01. 

Do you mean the entries in say the [VCockpit##] entries? or in the [Window##] entries?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

if you are using ezdok also double check that your view hasn't moved back a bit into the seat (slide it forward a tiny bit)...visually you can't see anything unusual in this case but the inside of the headrest can be collecting all the clicks.

cheers

-andy crosby

I've never tried it since I adjusted my water slider, but you might try adjusting your water slider when in flight.  Might work.

So do you believe the water slider would cause the issue even when not near water? Not sure I was unless it was the Ohio river 24,000 ft below and under an overcast.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I have to turn my water effects to Low 2.0

Humm. Checked. That is the water effects setting I have been at.  

I have just configured so that I am not using the 3D lights. Will see if that does the trick.  Makes me wonder if an in-flight solution would be to turn the lights off and on again with the "L" key.  Also trying to remember if the issue occurred always at night. Interesting because on my system I have had issues with the lights on the MilViz B55 and especially with the MilViz C310. 

Frank Patton
ASUS 

That is the water effects setting I have been at.

Looking at your system, it's less powerful than the one I have now so you might have to turn the slider down some more if you try the water slider route.  On the other hand, if you've changed out the lights you'll probably be okay.  I really like the 3D lights.  I rarely fly it at night but, when I do, they are just amazing.

Gregg Seipp

A known issue. Several aircraft had it but Real is the last to have not corrected it. The workaround is kill the 3d lighting effects. That solves the problem for good.

if you are using ezdok also double check that your view hasn't moved back a bit into the seat (slide it forward a tiny bit)...visually you can't see anything unusual in this case but the inside of the headrest can be collecting all the clicks.

I have had this occur using TrackIR also. Recentering with F12 will correct it.

A known issue. Several aircraft had it but Real is the last to have not corrected it. The workaround is kill the 3d lighting effects. That solves the problem for good.

So does it only occur at night? or when using the lights?

With the 3D's unconfigured I am unable to even tell if the taxi lights are on.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

It has nothing to do with having the lights on or not. In the settings you can choose their 3D lights or default FSX lights. Just having it set to the 3D lights is enough to cause it.

Here is something interesting about this. I am still learning the locations of the switches and controls in this Turbine Duke v2 (TDv2) vs the checklists. To better learn them I have been changing VC views via the FSX "A-key" and "Shift-A-key" functions. Twice this afternoon, on the ground, I shift-a'd from another view back to the primary VC view and found I had lost the interactive mouse pointer. It happened once more when I Alt-Tab'd out of and back into FSX to look at the RealAir TDv2 Flying Guide. So I started experimenting. Turning the lights on/off with the "L" key, etc. No success! Then I started toggling through the various VC views, again with the A-key/Shift-A-key. Both times I found a VC view where the interactive mouse pointer was available. Each time I used the pointer to do something in those views and returned to the primary VC view the interactive pointer was once again available!

This will take some more verification, but perhaps this way it will be possible to use the 3D lights and have an emergency procedure if the interactive pointer goes away.

Frank Patton
ASUS