Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

purchase question

I've just noticed that x plane is available as a digital download from the xplane website

so my question is as a purchaser of xplane on steam any idea if I can change my copy to the same version as the version that would be bought from the xplane site and not have anything to do with the steam version.

I'm fed up of feeling like a second class person for having this version, as currently the steam version (beta enabled)is still at 10.36 even though there is beta version up at 10.40+ .

I brought this point up on the steam support for xplane but was told that basically its up to laminar to put the 10.4updates onto steam which they are not !! So tough.

Pete Little

AFAIK, this is not possible, but you'd be best sending them an email and asking.

Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about the fact that you're still on 10.36. 10.40 is a beta and is buggy (at least for me). Once the final release is out, you'll get it.

As I understand the reason why the Steam version has no betas is because it is a completely different delivery method, and requires an additional compile of the base code, which is time consuming and unnecessary.

You are not a second rang citizen, the 10.40+ is currently in beta, so not stable at all (what I experienced first hand when I could not fire up after installing one of the betas).

When it is deemed stable enough to be release candidate, Laminar will release it on Steam also.

You can read all about it in the developers blog on x-plane.com : http://developer.x-plane.com/ , it has been brought up on several occasions.

I don't think you can switch from one version to the other without buying the product again (which makes sense, what would you ask as proof of purchase ?).

So be patient, a beta is after all by definition unstable and incomplete.

Xplane has a lot of good features, but a lot of features that i wish it had. Its more freeware and some awesome payware. Overall i would listen to jh17 (which im pretty sure he probably ment to put mh17) and just be patient. if you already have a simulator fly that and addon to your pc so you can fly at MAX setting levels.

Xplane has a lot of good features, but a lot of features that i wish it had. Its more freeware and some awesome payware. Overall i would listen to jh17 (which im pretty sure he probably ment to put mh17) and just be patient. if you already have a simulator fly that and addon to your pc so you can fly at MAX setting levels.

I have to disagree with the assertion that X-Plane is "more freeware and some awesome payware." If anything, FSX/P3D have more awesome payware in the realm of specific scenery regions and certain categories of aircraft. If that's all I cared about, I'd be flying that instead.

I fly X-Plane for what's intrinsic in the engine more than the add-ons. I run very few add-ons aside from aircraft; just SkyMaxx Pro and the HD terrain mesh. What's important to me is the way the flight model feels buoyant and realistic in the air (to me, anyway), and I like the helicopter flight modeling. I like the liquid-smooth frame rates for final approach and the flare when landing. I like the way cities look at night. I also like the way it's using things like OSM streets/buildings and HD terrain mesh to look increasingly like the real world. 

It sure as heck has flaws.... the weather modeling (that's my big one, right now), the lack of seasons, poor ATC, etc. But everything I really care about in a flight sim is in the core program, which has never felt like a "freeware" product to me.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I've just noticed that x plane is available as a digital download from the xplane website

so my question is as a purchaser of xplane on steam any idea if I can change my copy to the same version as the version that would be bought from the xplane site and not have anything to do with the steam version.

I'm fed up of feeling like a second class person for having this version, as currently the steam version (beta enabled)is still at 10.36 even though there is beta version up at 10.40+ .

I brought this point up on the steam support for xplane but was told that basically its up to laminar to put the 10.4updates onto steam which they are not !! So tough.

The reason is simple. Steam requires them to deploy the game twice for steam and their own system. Plus the more people you have in a beta doesnt mean its more efficent, especially in the earlier betas where alot of bugs are still in there. you get your system swamped with bug reports of the same error. Steam gets the RC which is not, against the believe of alot of people, a stable release. There you can test the game for your hearts content and then if nothing gets found it goes stable. So if you want beta you need to pay full price as switching between systems is not possible and steam uses a different authentication system.

But yes the x-plane.com digital download will probably be my choice for XP11. Only think about the pollution to have the discs sent to you...

Interesting that in the latest betas of X-Plane 10.40+, if there isn't an internet connection when you start it up, it fails to validate even if the disk is in the drive. I presume this will happen every few days.

I use little snitch to block/monitor outgoing connections on my computer, and it blocked X-Plane, immediately it prompted me for a product key even though the disk was in the drive. So basically what once worked without an issue may now be an issue for some.

I don't see this a massive problem, as I very rarely fly on a computer that isn't connected to the internet, but it's worth keeping in mind for others considering updating to 10.40. It's happened in the past with other apps that when I have no Internet and want to play I simply can't because I have no Internet :-)

Sort of on the subject of the OP- as someone whose considering Xplane, I'd like to know if there are there any cons to getting it on Steam instead of from their store (or maybe any pros) or does it not matter?

(which im pretty sure he probably ment to put mh17) 

Why would anyone make their username refer to such an awful disaster? But in any case his account was made 9 years ago, well before MH17. 

Why would anyone make their username refer to such an awful disaster? But in any case his account was made 9 years ago, well before MH17. 

I am not into sick jokes. JH are my initials, that is all to it.

Sort of on the subject of the OP- as someone whose considering Xplane, I'd like to know if there are there any cons to getting it on Steam instead of from their store (or maybe any pros) or does it not matter?

Apart from not being able to use betas, there is no downside. Some people claim the steamapp is a bloatware, but atleast on windows i havent noticed any performance decrease with it running or not running and have been running it completley without issues.

Biggest upside however is that you can get x-plane on a sale and then it is exceptionally cheap compared to any other order venue.

Aside from access to beta versions, I think the only downside might be for people with erratic Internet connections. Steam has an offline mode for launching games, but (last time I checked) there is a Catch-22 where you have to be online to enable it. So it only works if you know in advance that you'll be offline, like when you're traveling with a laptop. It doesn't help if your Internet connection suddenly drops out for a while, and you want to play a Steam game. 

As Tonywob noted above, X-Plane apparently now does periodic validations that will also require a connection. But it won't be every time you launch X-Plane, like Steam's normal authentication mode.

Personally, I like having access to the betas so I'll stick to non-Steam versions. Sometimes there is an issue, but I've had more positive than negative results when trying new betas. It's always fun to get an early peek at major new additions like the pop-up GPS we got last year.

Steam has an offline mode for launching games, but (last time I checked) there is a Catch-22 where you have to be online to enable it. So it only works if you know in advance that you'll be offline, like when you're traveling with a laptop. It doesn't help if your Internet connection suddenly drops out for a while, and you want to play a Steam game.

I spend my day hours on a laptop, so I just double checked this.  Steam was running in the background in 'Online mode'.  I am currently tethered to my iPhone, providing me with a Wifi connection.  So, I dropped the connection from the phone, waited until my laptop reported losing the Wifi connection, then asked Steam to go into 'Offline' mode.  Which it gladly did, without a hitch, and then it also let me start up XP.

So, no, there's no downside regarding the internet connection in Steam.

The only thing to keep in mind is that if 10.40 standalone requires an internet connection periodically, it may still do so under Steam as well, regardless of Online/Offline modes.  Just depends on how Laminar integrates it.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I fly X-Plane for what's intrinsic in the engine more than the add-ons. I run very few add-ons aside from aircraft; just SkyMaxx Pro and the HD terrain mesh. What's important to me is the way the flight model feels buoyant and realistic in the air (to me, anyway), and I like the helicopter flight modeling. I like the liquid-smooth frame rates for final approach and the flare when landing. I like the way cities look at night. I also like the way it's using things like OSM streets/buildings and HD terrain mesh to look increasingly like the real world. 

I "feel" little difference between the better X-Plane and FSX flight models.  Sometimes I have to remind myself, of which sim I'm flying.  Both sims have been liquid smooth on my higher powered setup...............or can still bog down a bit. Considering I spent many years flying in a real life mountain environment, this is what I like about X-plane. It just has a fantastic mountain look. The sloping runways are a bonus, or sometimes just plain un-usuable.  I've always heard that X-plane controlled helicopters with more realism than FSX.  It's been a few years since I tried copters in either sim. In reality, I just don't much care for real life helicopters, even though I flew RC choppers for years.  I did get a half hours worth on hands on experience in a four place turbine helicopter that a friend owns. I just preferred higher performance GA.

I spend my day hours on a laptop, so I just double checked this.  Steam was running in the background in 'Online mode'.  I am currently tethered to my iPhone, providing me with a Wifi connection.  So, I dropped the connection from the phone, waited until my laptop reported losing the Wifi connection, then asked Steam to go into 'Offline' mode.  Which it gladly did, without a hitch, and then it also let me start up XP.

So, no, there's no downside regarding the internet connection in Steam.

I had a sudden, unexpected drop of my usually very reliable Internet connection last month. It lasted almost a full day. During that time, I couldn't get Steam to authorize and launch anything, including multiple tries of the Offline mode. So, I dunno. Whatever it was, my experience on a hardwired DSL connection to the desktop computer I use was different.

During that local "out" period, I was able to fly X-Plane just fine because I had the disk (image) version on my hard drive.