Sign in to follow this  
TheNerd

ntdll.dll Error & Crash. Yes, I Used the Guide.

Hello again, Avsim!

I recently got back from TN, so I decided to recreate my flight in P3D. As of now, I only have a few addons installed:

FTX Global

FSDT KJFK

Latin VFR TJSJ

Aerosoft Airbus X

QW 757

ASN

A few of Ray Smith's AFCADS

I was flying from KLGA to KNBA and got a CTD with no warning. Here's the report from the Event Viewer

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          7/28/2015 11:02:23 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      VectrexII
Description:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 2.5.12944.0, time stamp: 0x54ee1a39
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17736, time stamp: 0x550f42c2
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000e5624
Faulting process id: 0x1d60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0c93d48be56c6
Faulting application path: C:\P3D\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: a63ba369-3539-11e5-bf5b-2cd05a254d8d
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-07-28T15:02:23.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>121034</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>VectrexII</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>2.5.12944.0</Data>
    <Data>54ee1a39</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.3.9600.17736</Data>
    <Data>550f42c2</Data>
    <Data>c0000374</Data>
    <Data>000e5624</Data>
    <Data>1d60</Data>
    <Data>01d0c93d48be56c6</Data>
    <Data>C:\P3D\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>a63ba369-3539-11e5-bf5b-2cd05a254d8d</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago about 4 times in a day. I'm completely confused with why I would get this crash. I've used the Avsim CTD guide, and this is what it says about ntdll crashes:

"NTDLL.dll – Several possibilities as follows: Heap metadata can become corrupted and it has been identified by Microsoft as one of the most common causes of application failures. When an application crash shows the faulting module as ntdll.dll along with the Memory Access Violation (0xc0000005), then Windows places the application on a watch list and, if the application crashes at least four times or more in an hour, the fault tolerant heap service will configure the application to use the fault tolerant heap service in the future (Source - Chapter 10, Memory Management, Windows Internals, Part 2: Covering Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 by Mark E. Russinovich, David A Solomon, and Alex Ionescu). The service is part of the Security Center service so you need to make sure this service is turned on.

You might get an NTDLL.dll shown as the faulting module if you have MyTrafficX 5.4c installed. It is believed to be caused by an AI scheduling programming error. A fix was being worked on.

An NTDLL.dll crash can also occur if your system overheats or you have wrong voltages set for your installed RAM or CPU but this is less likely as you will most likely get a BSOD instead of a CTD.

Removing the UIAutomationcore.dll from the main FSX folder will also fix NTDLL.dll CTD’s for many.

Check your dll.xml for duplicate entries or any corruption. Some have fixed the NTDLL.dll CTD by removing duplicate entries and/or old software entries where the software is no longer on your system."

> The first bit confuses me. If anyone can put that in plain English, that would be greatly appreciated.
> I don't have any AI program installed and default traffic is turned off.
> Nothing is overheating and I haven't OC'd anything (My 3570k and GTX 750 run perfectly fine)
> The UIAutomationcore.dll is not in my P3D main folder.
> As far as I can tell there are no duplicate entries on the dll.xml below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Addon Manager</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_connect</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

If anyone has any ideas as to why P3D keeps crashing, please let me know.

Thanks,

If anyone has any ideas as to why P3D keeps crashing, please let me know.

The exception code indicates heap corruption - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/calvin_hsia/archive/2015/01/30/10590143.aspx

You can move your p3d.cfg to a temporary folder, restart p3d and the config will be rebuilt.  If this fixes the problem, most likely you had high settings and/or a bad tweak.  Tweaks are not good unless properly employed by experts.

There are many more suggestions for fixing crashes starting on page 5 of the AVSIM CTD Guide.  Whenever I get an ntdll.dll error, it was fixed by returning my BIOS settings back to the Optimized Defaults.  Works 100% of the time.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The exception code indicates heap corruption - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/calvin_hsia/archive/2015/01/30/10590143.aspx

You can move your p3d.cfg to a temporary folder, restart p3d and the config will be rebuilt.  If this fixes the problem, most likely you had high settings and/or a bad tweak.  Tweaks are not good unless properly employed by experts.

There are many more suggestions for fixing crashes starting on page 5 of the AVSIM CTD Guide.  Whenever I get an ntdll.dll error, it was fixed by returning my BIOS settings back to the Optimized Defaults.  Works 100% of the time.

Best regards,

Thanks for the response Jim. I'm playing around with some of my tweaks now. I'm using all except FFTF from the Prepar3d website here: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/performance/tuning_guide.html

Do you have any idea which one it might be?

Do you have any idea which one it might be?

Bufferpools. Those are recommended and for older systems that need help computing. If you have a modern system (i7 2600K or better), then I would not employ any tweaks. The Bufferpool tweak brought my system to its knees around FlightBeam's KIAD and I have an i7 4770K w/GTX 780GPU. I wish people would stay away from tweaks and let their system breathe.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Bufferpools. Those are recommended and for older systems that need help computing. If you have a modern system (i7 2600K or better), then I would not employ any tweaks. The Bufferpool tweak brought my system to its knees around FlightBeam's KIAD and I have an i7 4770K w/GTX 780GPU. I wish people would stay away from tweaks and let their system breathe.

Best regards,

Thanks again. I was always a bit wary about the Bufferpool tweak, even in the FSX days. It's getting a bit late in NY and I have to go to work tomorrow. I'll redo KLGA-KBNA and report back my findings.

Best regards,

Just wanted to say thanks again, Jim!  :BigGrin:

Just did KLGA KBNA with no problems and a minimum of 25fps throughout. That's the third flight sim issue of mine you helped fix  :lol:

That's the third flight sim issue of mine you helped fix

I thought "Nerd's" were supposed to know everything technical. LOL. Glad you got FSX working again and I could help.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM