Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

99% GPU load at dusk in overcast conditions=stutters

Uh oh. I'm nervous now. I've got a GTX 980 Ti SC on the way, and I hope it performs well in 4K!

Oh I'm so sorry hun have you not heard, these cards don't perform well at all. Best thing to do is sell it to me (cheap) and get yourself a Titan, probably best:)

980ti is a monster of a card

I am evening thinking of buying a GTX980ti and selling my GTX970......

This is to go up to 1440p resolution (not 4k though)

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I did a quick check and did find GWX.exe running but that makes sense considering I did accept the free offer to upgrade to Win10 when available. So in that sense I don't blame MS for having some kind of tool running on my PC to handle this upgrade process both checking for Win10 availability and also download the installation media in the background to make the upgrade faster when time comes to perform the actual upgrade.

Interesting info though how much of your resources this tool can consume at times running in the background so now with Win10 being GA I guess I'll just make sure to get the upgrade and run through it once to have my Win7 key converted and I'll also make sure to get the Win10 installation media and I'll then revert back to my Win7 installation until Win10 has shown it's real colors for us P3D users.

Back to the main question regarding my performance drop flying at dusk in dense clouds I'm pretty sure GWX was not to blame since it has nothing to do with my GPU load which I clearly could see was pinned at 99% when I experienced the stutters and as soon as I got into and later under the clouds the issue was gone and the GPU load returned to the normal 70-85% or so.

Multiple texture sets are being blended so increases number of render passes ... otherwise it would look very odd (aka not realistic) to see a sudden change from day texture to dawn textures.  Also another GPU load for dawn and dusk is calculation of shadows, the shadows require more complex calculations as the shadows are MUCH longer adjusting more textures from their cast.

Cheers, Rob. 

Yep, that all makes perfect sense Robert.

Uh oh. I'm nervous now. I've got a GTX 980 Ti SC on the way, and I hope it performs well in 4K!

The 980 Ti performs really really good in 4K! Comparing to my old 1st gen Titan it's like night and day.

However until the software we're all running (P3D) is rebuilt in one way or the other (new core engine/DX12 compatibility/64-bit etc etc or whatever might happen down the road) I think we will continue to see performance issues in some regard under certain conditions with certains settings pretty much regardless of the hardware used.

This has been true for many, many years and I don't think we're by the end of that road yet.

Richard Åsberg

The 980Ti performance wise is VERY VERY close to a Titan X for all the data I've seen ... but price/performance ratio is the 970 (even at 4K res).

As for Windows 10, I've seen claims of 100% performance improvement to 0% performance improvement ... I would probably dare speculate a <5% performance improvement.  Hopefully next week I can dig into some testing of P3D under Win10 ... but there are some key players in my setup that I'm not sure will work (i.e. GoFlight) ... their forums have been down for many weeks now and in the past GoFlight have been less than responsive to Microsoft's new OS versions.

Cheers, Rob.

The 980 Ti performs really really good in 4K! Comparing to my old 1st gen Titan it's like night and day.

However until the software we're all running (P3D) is rebuilt in one way or the other (new core engine/DX12 compatibility/64-bit etc etc or whatever might happen down the road) I think we will continue to see performance issues in some regard under certain conditions with certains settings pretty much regardless of the hardware used.

This has been true for many, many years and I don't think we're by the end of that road yet.

I'm getting around 30 fps, but it's stuttery. What are your display settings? My CPU is similar to yours as well.. 

Sorry to hear that, very smooth here.

What do you mean by display settings, can you be a little bit more specific?

Richard Åsberg

Sorry to hear that, very smooth here.

What do you mean by display settings, can you be a little bit more specific?

Yes, What are your display settings? I'll give them a whirl and see how it goes. Our set-ups are basically identical.

Yes, What are your display settings? I'll give them a whirl and see how it goes. Our set-ups are basically identical.

Here you go

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
NUM_LIGHTS=4
MIPMAP_VC_PANELS=1
TESSELLATION=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
LENSFLARE=0
HDR=1
BLOOM_LEVEL=2
SHADOW_QUALITY=3
TERRAIN_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=3
CLOUD_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=3
OBJECT_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=2
CONTENT_NO_SHADOW=0
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_CAST=0
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_CAST=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_CAST=0
BUILDING_SHADOWS_CAST=0
CLOUD_SHADOWS_CAST=1
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
BUILDING_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_LOW=4
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_MID=5
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_HIGH=7
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_ULTRA=12
GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048
CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_LOW=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_MID=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_HIGH=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_ULTRA=0.850000
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
EFFECTS_DISTANCE=2
[DISPLAY]
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=61
TEXTURE_FILTERING=16
MSAA=4
SSAA=0
FXAA=0
VSYNC=0
TRIPLE_BUFFER=0
WideViewAspect=1
FullScreenExclusive=0
FullScreenAutoFill=1
[PANELS]
PANEL_OPACITY=0
[SCENERY]
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
TESSELLATION_FACTOR=90
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=2
AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=2
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_REFLECT_CLOUDS=0
WATER_REFLECT_USERAIRCRAFT=0
WATER_REFLECT_SIMOBJECTS=0
WATER_REFLECT_TERRAIN=0
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION=0
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS=0
WATER_REFRACT_CLOUDS=0
WATER_REFRACT_USERAIRCRAFT=0
WATER_REFRACT_SIMOBJECTS=0
WATER_REFRACT_TERRAIN=0
WATER_REFRACT_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION=0
WATER_REFRACT_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS=0
ENABLE_BATHYMETRY=0
WATER_CLARITY=30
WATER_DETAIL=4
[WEATHER]
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=8
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
OPTIMIZE_DENSE_CLOUDS=0
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=6
THERMAL_VISUALS=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
DynamicWeather=0
VolumetricFog=1
[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=0
GADensity=0
FreewayDensity=15
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=15
LeisureBoatsDensity=15
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0
[AContain]
ShowLabels=0
ShowUserLabel=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=0
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
LabelDelay=1000
LabelColor=FFFF0000

Richard Åsberg

Yep, not much you can do about it other than keep your flying to daytime then :wink:

However after reducing the shadow distance and only keep the internal, external and terrain shadows it seems to have cured the problem.

I also upgraded to Win 10 and did my first flight yesterday and the performance was really good! Haven't done any scientific measurements but seems more smooth vs Win 7.

Richard Åsberg

And we have 4 seasons in FSX/P3D ... I must admit, I've never tested a flight on the season switch date/time at the extreme ends of North or South pole to see what happens, probably consumes considerable VAS.

Cheers, Rob.