Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel Teles

Quite impressed with ASN...

Hi, guys!

I'm not used to post my screenshots in the forum, but I thought this was worth showing...
I took a break from flight simulation for several months. At that time, I already had Active Sky Next, but without any of the service packs...

Now that I'm flying a bit again, I installed the SP1 and SP2... and, a couple of days ago, I was blown away by what I saw in my virtual skies. :P

Take a look at these cloud formations. I'm hoping that the screenies will talk for themselves. I've never seen something like this in any FS. (I promise you I'm not being paid to tell these things btw :ph34r: )...

aZCvkil.jpg

9vWzxQt.jpg

WF5BKui.jpg

tpJrYT7.jpg

This all happened in a flight with the Triple 7 between Auckland and Sydney.

Oh, a little bonus... in another flight, while approaching YSSY, I saw this in the ND...

NXRgpQl.jpg

Anyway. My congratulations for the guys that made these things possible.

Best regards,

I've been an Opus fan for a long time and would sing it's praises to anyone who would listen. I have ASN having started with ASE. Whenever there's a 'Which weather engine should I get' thread the ASNers always out weighed the Opusers. The other week I thought what the heck, let's see what they're all so gobby about. :smile:

I saw what you are showing us and I haven't looked back!

I still run Opus for the TIR and views bits.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I've been an Opus fan for a long time and would sing it's praises to anyone who would listen. I have ASN having started with ASE. Whenever there's a 'Which weather engine should I get' thread the ASNers always out weighed the Opusers. The other week I thought what the heck, let's see what they're all so gobby about. :smile:

Hey, Ron!

Same thing here. The only difference is that I changed my weather engine moved primarily by ASN's integration with the PMDG 777 (I really wanted that functional weather radar... :P ). Nowadays, the radar seems more like a small bonus in the whole experience...

I have fond memories from Opus, to be honest -- but I have no intention to look back either.

ASN does indeed a remarkable job recreating real world weather around your aircraft in a very believable way.

I just recently jumped into P3Dv2, and was surprised to find even better rendering in this platform. Overall the way the skies are rendered looks much more realistic.

Then the weather effects themselves, not only the visual side, are also a very important experience in a flight simulator, and indeed again ASN masters in creating plausible wind variation and turbulence scenarios.

I look fwd for the PMDG 744 to be released, and for $$$ to be available for me to do a PC upgrade from my old rig. Then I will be able the sliders further to the right, and have an even more close to real experience, always with ASN feeding the weather :)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I agree with everyone here.  I recently took advantage of the 7 day trial and then immediately went and bought it on sale.  Well worth the money no matter the price for great looking weather.  Despite using FSX:SE currently, it is a vast improvement for even that sim.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

ASN masters in creating plausible wind variation and turbulence scenarios.

In the time honoured fashion...+1 :BigGrin:

Amazing setup Gabriel, could you share your ASN settings or are they default? Its possible to export to a file , if you are so inclined :)

ASN does indeed a remarkable job recreating real world weather around your aircraft in a very believable way.

I just recently jumped into P3Dv2, and was surprised to find even better rendering in this platform. Overall the way the skies are rendered looks much more realistic.

Then the weather effects themselves, not only the visual side, are also a very important experience in a flight simulator, and indeed again ASN masters in creating plausible wind variation and turbulence scenarios.

I look fwd for the PMDG 744 to be released, and for $$$ to be available for me to do a PC upgrade from my old rig. Then I will be able the sliders further to the right, and have an even more close to real experience, always with ASN feeding the weather :)

You're right about the weather effects themselves. Funny thing: this was actually a problem for me in this flight. I mean, I was flying against 100KT of headwind... :unsure:  :P 

That last screenie is almost indistinguishable from a real photo; kudos mate.

Thanks! :smile:

I agree with everyone here.  I recently took advantage of the 7 day trial and then immediately went and bought it on sale.  Well worth the money no matter the price for great looking weather.  Despite using FSX:SE currently, it is a vast improvement for even that sim.

-Jim

If I recall correctly, I took advantage of the trial too... but for an hour maybe.

I'm easily convinced... :ph34r:

Amazing setup Gabriel, could you share your ASN settings or are they default? Its possible to export to a file , if you are so inclined :)

Hello! They're mostly default. Anyway, I'm going to put the settings related to clouds (which are the one that interests here, I guess).

Maximum cloud layers - 5

Maximum cloud turbulence - 100

Maximum cloud icing - 100

Prevent thunderstorms when CB reported is "unchecked"

Minimum cloud draw distance - 80

Maximum cloud draw distance - 110

Force BKN to 7/8ths is "unchecked"

Enhance overcast conditions is "checked"

High detail thunderstorm cloud is "unchecked"

Also, this may be worth mentioning: in "Visibility options"...

Maximum surface visibility is 55

Maximum upper visibility is 75

Auto adjust upper visibility is "checked"

If you need to know something else, let me know!

Thanks Gabriel, very appreciated, will try those settings. 

Killer shots Gabriel - using rex ?

Thanks, Rich!

Yep, I'm using some sets from REX: Essential Plus OD for the clouds: "Cumulus Set: 02 / Nimbus Stratus" and "Cirrus Set: 30 / Cirro Cumulus HD Enable". I've been using these for quite some time actually...

I've gone back to OpusFSI. :blush:  I can see why it's so popular but there was something I couldn't put my finger on. I did back to back tests and ASN was always just that bit too perfect. :unknw: Anyway, I tried it.

Thanks, Rich!

Yep, I'm using some sets from REX: Essential Plus OD for the clouds: "Cumulus Set: 02 / Nimbus Stratus" and "Cirrus Set: 30 / Cirro Cumulus HD Enable". I've been using these for quite some time actually...

Thanks Gabriel - figured that as rex4 has soften things up when it comes to clouds

Rich Sennett

I did the same after running ASN in demo mode. I still use OPUS DHM and cameras though.

One thing I dont get is why OPUS never gives a discount on their product? that's bizarre because ASN is is reeling in new customers at 30% off and that locks us in as a new customer base for any new products they release in the future as well

It cost me the same amount to upgrade OPUS  to FSI as it does to buy ASN at 30% off so it was a no brainier and ASN weather is far superior

ZORAN