Sign in to follow this  
byork

Windows 10 - Why it's great for FS2Crew!

Attention FS2Crew users from non-English speaking countries:

As you probably know, Windows 10 will be released tomorrow. This is big news for FS2Crew. Why?

Because Windows 10 allows users with non-English versions of Windows to easily download the "ENGLISH - US" language pack.

And, as you all know, you need to be able to set your speech recognizer to "ENGLISH - US" to use voice control.

We expect our Voice Control user based to expand tremendously with Windows 10, especially in the huge German FS market.

It might surprise you, but Germany probably beats the US and the UK in terms of flightsim users numbers.

11054786_964731066912299_608721321293188

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Quick update on this: AFAIK, if you were hoping to use Cortana, the MS equivalent of Apple's Siri, only (apparently) even more robust, you need to have all language settings consistent. In other words, you can't have 'current system local' set to UK English and have 'speech set to US English. I'm in the UK, and while I (accidentally) had been using FS2Crew with UK English in the speech settings, at some point a while back I set it to US English just to be on the safe side. 

Cortana wouldn't work when I first installed Windows 10 because system local and default language were UK English, and speech was US English. 

Just a heads-up. Many people are a bit skivved out at the level to which Cortana 'spies' on you, so many people won't mind about not being able to use it, but if you were going to use it, note you'll need to tweak some things.

Will "Hey, Cortana!" become a recognised command when using FS2Crew? What will be her reaction?

I'll let you be the test pilot for that  B)

I personally have no use for Cortona/Siri, etc.  

Tried it and well ! Everything is fine.

FS2Crew works like a charm, downloaded US Pack for voice control and it rockets sky my pleasure (french user).

Best of all FSX and P3Dv2 perf are better than W8.1.

Regards

Hi Bryan, I get your 737 reboot and 777 Programm. When I use WIN 7 all works well with the speech control. Today I upgraded WIN 7 to WIN 10 and it is unpossible for me to chnage the Speech control from German to Englisch. It work´s for the writing, there I can change the language from German to English, but when I would like to use the English speech learning programm, WIN 10 tell me that I have to switch from German to English. Under advanced settings ther is only German to use, no English. What can I do now?

Roland

Hi Bryan, I get your 737 reboot and 777 Programm. When I use WIN 7 all works well with the speech control. Today I upgraded WIN 7 to WIN 10 and it is unpossible for me to chnage the Speech control from German to Englisch. It work´s for the writing, there I can change the language from German to English, but when I would like to use the English speech learning programm, WIN 10 tell me that I have to switch from German to English. Under advanced settings ther is only German to use, no English. What can I do now?

Roland

Hi Roland,

You need to install the "English-US" pack.

It'll work.

I recall you do it via Control Panel - Add a Language - English - English US.

Hi Byork,

Just to say that if you install "English-us" pack in Windows 7.... IT WORKS TOO ! (Maybe a recent update)

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, speech recognition no longer worked for me. After a bit of fiddling, and unsuccessfully attempting to active voice recognition, I determined that while my computer recognized my USB headphones, it didn't recognize the mic function. A little more fiddling and I went to device manager, selected the headphones, right clicked and had Windows automatically search for an updated driver. Much to my surprise, because over almost 20 years having Windows check for an updated driver has been a standard step in diagnosing hardware problems and I have never had this step even detect a newer driver, let alone fix the problem, IT ACTUALLY WORKED! Updated driver, activated speech, problem solved.