Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

VAS comments by Beau

Richie, you little snitch! :D

You crack me up Neil

Ok have been playing with these a bit as Neil stated - you must make copies of your original files and note the exact folders they need to go back in - MAKE SURE YOU DUMP SHADERS

========================================================================

Heres the good

Smoother while spot plane panning - fps and AA appear to be better

========================================================================

Heres the bad so far anyway

I got an OOM message which I never get and some menu crashes

Your distant water will not have waves they will appear flat and shiny kind of like x-plane that being said you will see waves in very close proximity to your aircraft but thats it

You can re load up your rex waves and they are back but that would defeat the purpose I think

So use caution and if distant waves is not an issue with you then these might be your thing - I am going to re-test crashing issues not sure why as its just down sizing the files but not having any problems previous I can only surmise these changes are the culprit but maybe something good can come out of it

Tried just the down sized env maps but that didnt make much difference

Rich Sennett

I made the zip before Beau's latest post (http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/vas-usage-related-to-water-detail-settings/#post-112054) I've edited my original post with this info. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks brother assuming you update files in some way - try again now

Rich Sennett

No rich I didn't update the zip. Apply what beau said to the files in the zip.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Ah ok - be nice to get this to work as I just crashed to desktop again when accessing the menu while in flight - if I can stop that then I think this is a keeper for me I can live with distant flat waters but you do have to turn water up to ultra to get anything to show in close proximity to aircraft

Rich Sennett

No rich I didn't update the zip. Apply what beau said to the files in the zip.

Ok got this worked out no crashes and retaining the benefits as posted by me above - give me a few minutes to put a new package together with directions

Use at your own risk but should be fine *********** Take note do not try the files in Neils file link posted they will cause issues

You must make copies of your original files and note the exact folders they need to go back in - MAKE SURE YOU DUMP SHADERS before running P3D

Link to files needed:

1. Delete all 32 of these water detail files       location: Prepar3D\Scenery\World\texture folder

water_detailRXX.bmp (32 of them)
   water_detailXX.bmp (32 of them)

===============================================

2. These should be safe to delete             location: Prepar3D\texture folder

OceanHeight20FieldLow.bmp
   OceanHeight20FieldHigh.dds

===============================================

3. These files should be replaced with the files in zip file           location:scenery\World\texture:
   env_predawn.bmp
   env_dawn.bmp
   env_lowsun.bmp
   env_midsun.bmp
   env_highnoon.bmp
   env_postdusk.bmp
   env_dusk.bmp
   env_lowmoon.bmp
   env_highmoon.bmp
   env_newmoon.bmp
   env_overcast.bmp

Rich Sennett

Still getting crashes not sure if this or just not having a fresh install of windows 10 - please report back if others are having issues - putting back old files and see what happens

Rich Sennett

Hi Rich,

Thanks for doing this ... but I think you have the wrong path in step 1.

Step 1.  -- should be ...Prepar3d v2\Scenery\World\Texture  (at least that's where they are on both my PCs)

Testing the new files now.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rich,

Thanks Rob - can you change it for me as I cant now - been a long day quite tired

Rich Sennett

Hi Rich , i test out your zip file . An it appears to be working with out a glitch, however i did had some Sim Object Engine Crash at first. But i don't think that was caused by the file i just install. I fix that problem by going to the task manager after closing P3D. It remain running on my pc without P3D running.  I ended the process an restart P3D and that problem was gone.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

No issues with these adjustment, water looks perfect (same as before), VAS appears to be improved, especially out of KDAB (Aerosofts).

Also, just installed the 353.62 drivers and SLI is now fully functional ... no artifacts so far .. still testing.

Video to follow.

Cheers, Rob.

No issues with these adjustment, water looks perfect (same as before), VAS appears to be improved, especially out of KDAB (Aerosofts).

Hi Guys I dont think its the files I am getting a crash when hitting the world menu item while in P3D with or without tweaked files

After checking event viewer found it may be a temp file causing an issue and I cleaned all of those temp files out and ran malwarebytes as far as I can tell its another problem so need to test that out before trying again - thanks for the info 

File in question is wer49cb.tmp.werinternalmetdata.xml 

Now not sure if P3D is placing this there have to watch if so then something else is going on to cause that

Rob I also updated to that driver - AA is not as good as my tweakforce driver I was using so running in circles but its all good - I can always do a fresh install of the whole system if I have to

Rich Sennett

Well the moral of the story is make sure your temp folder is cleaned periodically as my problem is gone - thats a new one - tried the tweak in this post again and no ill effects so guess it was bad timing - She's a fixed for now

Rob thanks for the fix on post :)

Rich Sennett