Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

I Don't 'Get' the A2A Piper Cub

I am a GA flyer normally, but of late I have become an avid bushflyer, particularly in lovely Idaho. There I fly the Cessna 185 (Bush tyres), the 207 Stationair and the BN-2 Islander. I just bought the Cub from A2A, half for Heidi to be honest, and the other half because I did hear what a great bush plane the Cub makes.

But after a few flights I'm left a bit underwhelmed. What does the Cub do that other planes can't? Its slow as heck, and has very little power, at times I feel like I'm flying a motor glider.

What's the attraction, of the A2A model in particular? I have their 172 and Cherokee so understand the depth of modelling.... I feel the Cub is a bit lost on me. Maybe its because I'm British, and I can't remember ever having seen one in the flesh.... in other words is the Cub's attraction mainly nostalgia?

In summary ... Why is the Cub better than a Maule, 185 or SuperCub?

Help!

I believe most consider the Super Cub a far better bush plane. The Cub is underpowered and really slow. It's not really a bush plane, it's more of an antique. Most like it for nostalgic reasons, as anyone who learnt to fly in the mid 20th century probably has flown in one.

The A2A Cub wwas their first GA/civilian AccuSim plane so it's quite special in that regard. Their newer Cessnas and Pipers offer more detailed simulations and they model more "practical" aircraft that you can actually fly cross country with.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I suggest the super cub ultra from FS addon. While not as pretty as the A2A, it has an amazing flight model. Brake stands and super STOL. Very fun, you can do most of the tricks you see on youtube that they do in the real thing.

The A2A Cub is fantastic because it models flight in actual air so well.  It's not a bush plane.  It's a low and slow sightseer.  It's not for going anywhere.  It's for flying.  It's for setting down in any open space you find and then taking off again.  It's basically an ultralight with a little more speed.  

The C185 is one of Carenado's best planes, but it's flight dynamics are still inferior to the A2A Cub.  The 207 is not good at all in terms of flight dynamics.  The Islander is a fun airplane.  I like it.  Simple.  Not very detailed flight modeling again.

You get the A2A Cub because you want to experience flight with a good degree of faithfulness to what it is actually like to fly a little STOL airplane.  

It's pretty obvious that the real-life Piper Cub would not be for you, slow and under-powered (the Cub, not you).  So, the A2A Cub simulation, being a very accurate rendition of the real plane, isn't to your liking.  There's nothing wrong with that, "to each his own."

I don't like it - been hangered for years - too slow

That's nothing bad about A2A though - just the plane is boring

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I didn't know there was a Super Cub about ... Though I will miss the Accusim, I suppose AccuFeel will have to stand in for that! Will look into it.

I'll also miss Heidi, I really wish some developer would create a passenger program like that you could slot into any plane, it would make longer trips more interesting. You wouldn't have to wait for fsPassengers to spit numbers at you at the end of a flight, you'd know straight away how your passengers really felt about your flying :)

• Upvote 1

Have a look at Realairs Scout package, three models for $16.

The Decathlon in particular is a favourite of mine, a  fully aerobatic tail dragger without flaps is just great fun. especially landing

Have a look at Realairs Scout package, three models for $16.

The Decathlon in particular is a favourite of mine, a fully aerobatic tail dragger without flaps is just great fun. especially landing

+1 RealAir Scout

Interested in your new love of Idaho, Mithras - presume we're talking ORBX CRM here (?) What are your favourite airports/airfields. Without meaning to, I always seem to fly 'over' or around Idaho and have yet to discover its best spots.

If you ever get up the BC coast/ Tongass Fjords way, you'll find the A2A Cub on floats is great for SPBs on small lakes and inlets you can't squeeze the C185 into.

It's OK - the Cub doesn't get you either...  B)

More seriously - understood.  I happen to love the Cub but not all the time.  I have to be in the right frame of mind for it.

Because you can do this. Now try doing that in any other bush plane !

ZORAN

Because you can do this.

Amazing stuff, beerwolfe!  But that's a Super Cub, not a J-3.  So to try this at home, you'd need the Flight Replicas Super Cub Ultra, not the A2A.

To repeat one of the points above - you can put tundra tires on the J-3, but that doesn't make it a bush plane.  

'Cause it's not...

I don't like it - been hangered for years - too slow

That's nothing bad about A2A though - just the plane is boring

Same reason I never purchased it. I wouldn't mind flying one in real life as I am usually happy to fly anything I can get my hands on, but it's just a little too slow for me to use in the sim. In real life I enjoy low and slow flying since I have plenty of stuff to look at, but in the sim, even with fantastic scenery to look at its just not the same and can't hold my attention for more than a few minutes.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Interested in your new love of Idaho, Mithras - presume we're talking ORBX CRM here (?) What are your favourite airports/airfields. Without meaning to, I always seem to fly 'over' or around Idaho and have yet to discover its best spots.

Hi!

My interest in Idaho started when I was looking at You Tube videos of the BN-2 Islander and found this one, I think it is making a landing at Pistol Creek ranch. It is pretty incredible, skimming. Tree tops and the sides of cliffs, before plunging into the valley to follow the winding river between stands of forest, and then, around a bend is a gap in the trees, and the pilot puts the plane through the gap to land at the rough strip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pt2qbUNo1ao

I bought CRM, but although Pistol Creek isnt on there, all the other strips are, and they are just as. Tough to approach, often needing a winding canyon approach. After that I looked on You Tube for anything marked 'Idaho bush flying' and was impressed by the incredibly flying, incredible airstrips and beautiful videos.

Of massive influence was a series of professional flight videos of stunning quality which break down bush flying into its constituent parts:

Backcountry Aviation: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPJac80W9Y

I've been wanting to tell someone about these videos for weeks!