Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Why can't I download/install windows 10?

I have a new PC, as in, weeks old. I can't seem to get Windows 8 to update to 10, it doesn't recognize that there is an update. Where do I go? I reserved my free copy awhile ago.

So.. .I downloaded it, all is fine seemingly except that I can't use my GTX 980, I seem to be stuck with windows graphics driver. Which can barely run the sims 3.

So.. .I downloaded it, all is fine seemingly except that I can't use my GTX 980, I seem to be stuck with windows graphics driver. Which can barely run the sims 3.

Already tried installing Nvidia's drivers?

You need to install Nvidia 353.62, the previous version which Win10 was trying to install had a issue with the 980. You will be fine this time around. I suggest you use the excellent freeware DDU  (display driver uninstaller) if you still have any previous Nvidia driver, and then install the latest release. 

Note: Nvidia Inspector is supposedly not working under Win10, which makes perfect sense since its last release mentions nothing about Win10 comparability. I cannot confirm that 100% but It has been  reported that it is not working. No doubt that will change as soon as NI's developer comes around to releasing a Win10 compatible update.

If you want it that bad, the iso files are available for download.

I, on the other hand, will wait patiently for everyone else to install it and report everything that is broken. lol

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Why not?

Well first of all everything is fine with W7 on my machine...so why change it.  Second, you cannot control automatic downloads and cannot control downloads of Nvidia Drivers with Windows10.  So if you have a great driver working you will be auto updated to a new Nvidia driver, even if that driver may break something in FSX (or any other Flight Sim).  I am not sure either when these downloads will occur, maybe in the middle of your landing?  I have no idea but the recommendation from those in the know is that this is not great new for gamers (at least not yet).

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

The NV Win 10 driver messed up my FSX so off came Win 10 and everything is good again.

Enjoyed Win10 but not the NV driver.

I was able to somehow to get it to working again... but no clue what it was I did. FSX SE works fine in Win 10, so it's a keeper.

With AA enabled in FSX, my flights were frozen.

With AA disabled in FSX my flights were fine but I couldn't get rid of the shimmers and jagged lines like I had under Win 7.