Sign in to follow this  
exodus1977

Upgrading to Windows 10 and P3D

As most know, Windows 10 was release today. I upgraded my laptop (the upgrade, not clean install) and all seems well (really like the OS so far). Thinking of doing it to my desktop that has my flight sim software. Has anyone performed the upgrade with P3D installed? Did it work or produce a license error? How about PMDG? I will eventually do a clean install but would like to just upgrade for the time being.

Considering that W10 support for P3D is a crapshoot, I'd avoid it like the plague for your sim system. With the much touted AUTOMATIC FORCED UPDATES, you also never know which update will break your system.

My suggestion? Wait a few months and let others be the test bed for MS.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I have had P3D , FSX and FSX-SE running on Windows 10 since the Insider Program started. Everything works flawlessly. I have had no issues with updates. I don't have concern about forced updates that may not work. I can always revert my system with system restore which I keep current.

Considering that W10 support for P3D is a crapshoot, I'd avoid it like the plague for your sim system. With the much touted AUTOMATIC FORCED UPDATES, you also never know which update will break your system.

Vic

Vic is correct the automatic (you can't stop them) updates to Windows 10  will break P3D sooner or later.  Avoid it like the plague.  Didn't Microsoft giving it away give you a clue?

I had no issues with windows 10 and p3d. Infact with windows 10 i was seeing better frame rates than what i see now with windows 7. I had around 45 fps as compared to 30-35 fps in windows 7. But when it came to xplane, my saitek trim wheel would hang the entire os as soon as windows 10 detects it.So I had to go back to windows 7.

I took a chance and upgraded last night (upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Not a fresh install). Worked. No problems. P3D and PMDG working just fine, as well as my other addons.

I am also thinking about updating to win10, but need help. I installed fresh Win 7 Pro about month ago (switching back from 8.1) 

Does it matter in my case if I upgrade from 7 to 10 or make a clean install? I heard that it is better to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 rather than from 7 to 10. 

What do you think guys? 

As far as I can tell, you CAN switch off automatic updates of drivers. I have turned them off and downloaded/installed my own set of drivers. That is the potential problem to FSX/P3D. Automatic updates to Win10 shouldn't pose any problems.

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

I tried win 7 home to 10 but it always failled.

Then I remembered I had a win 8 pro ISO and key I had bought in a promotional campaign when win 8 was released, made an upgrade from 7 to 8 pro without keeping the programs and personal data, and from there directly into win10.

win 10 Pro is wonderful!  Spent Sunday's afternoon installing stuff, and at the end of the day, p3dv2.5, ASN and PSX worked beautifully!!! I even think they perform better in win 10!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...