Sign in to follow this  
ALF1

Idle GoFlight TQ-6 Throttle Problem

Double post I am sorry because I edited without my full name. Please delete.

I have these throtles properly calibrated using FSX. I do not have FSUIPC. On startup 22% N1 on both pulled back fully, and they work OK through taxiing and the flight.

The problem is that when I come in to land and cut the power at 30 ft RA, the throttles, pulled back to the stops, still show 35% N1. I have to either press F1 to make the airplane think I have power at idle, or push and pull back the throttles again after the nosewheel has touched down. If I don´t do this my reversers don´t engage. Besides being annoying and improper I always end up applying reverse thrust too late in the landing roll.

Can anyone here enlighten me on how to fix this ?

Alberto Ferracuti

I think you will need the paid version of FSUIPC to do what you want to achieve, allso, your throttles will need to have a detent prior to the hard stop ?

Hi,

I have the same problem though I have a registered version of FSUIPC. My setup has 2 Saitek throttle quadrants with 6 levers (1 for spoiler, 1 for flaps, 2 for reversers 1&2 and 2 for throttle 1&2). This setup was working flawlessly through all NGX versions in FSX. The idle problem and reversers not engaging started only with SP1d and I experience the same issue in both FSX and P3D V2.5. I haven't found a solution for this yet except setting up reverse thrust below detent on the throttle axis or use the buttons below throttle axis assigned as F2. But this means I can't use my spare levers for reversers as before.

Fouad Chakib

Fouad Chakib

I use an x65f throttle quadrant and calibrate three bands via fsuipc. The first band, between full throttle position and the very top/high end of the lower detent (send to fsuipc as throttle 1&2 ). The second band, between the very top/high end of the lower detent and the very bottom/low end of the same detent (send to fsuipc as repeat key stroke F1 for both quadrant leavers), this will give you idle position. The third band, between the very bottom/low end of the same detent and the lower hard stop (send to fsuipc as key stroke F2 for both quadrant levers) this will give you full revers thrust. Not at my pc, compiled from memory lol. Good luck.

Still searching for a solution to a realistic setup. It seems that at a certain airspeed and above, the idle power is not there even with the throttles properly calibrated. At touchdown speed, the N1 readings with idle thrust are just like an idle power descent--35-36% N1. That blocks the reversers.

Alberto Ferracuti

That blocks the reversers.

I thought we had a lengthy discussion here in the past six months that concluded idle thrust was not a requirement for thrust reverse? My memory is wasting away.

Dan Downs KCRP

GF-TQ6 Throttle Quadrant (Not Advanced) - Hardware Controllers | Joysticks | Drivers - The AVSIM Community

Worth a look  Pollypot  goflight interface tool is great and free

Yes it is. In fact it is what I use and have my EFIS, WP6, MCP PRO, Yoke and even the TQ6 advanced neatly programmed with it. I think I got that OK.

Say for example I am taxiing along with 15 kts GS and pull back the throttles I get around 23% N1 and I pull the reverser levers (which act as buttons--no open doors or idle reverse, only button for full reverse) reverse thrust engages immediately. The problem is when touching down at 135 KIAS and I pull, N! shows 35% at best and the reversers don´t deploy.

N! shows 35% at best and the reversers don´t deploy.

I just finished a short B737 SWA flight and thought of this post.  You cannot always look at N1 to tell if throttles are closed... for that you should look at fuel flow.  Typical flows with a closed throttle are about 0.88 per engine.

I took notice of my N1 this trip and found (all closed throttle readings) 40%N1 at 280KIAS and FL200 decreasing to 32.8%N1 at 210KIAS and 6000. Over the threshold A/T commanded retard and I activated the reversers with 38%N1 showing because they were still spooling down.  The reversers do not have to wait for the engines to spool down.

If you are having trouble with reverse thrust at landing then look someplace else than your N1.

Dan Downs KCRP

Good Morning Major, are you using FSUIPC and FSX or P3D as you platform and calibration means ?

I would like to recap a few things here as they pertain to the real 737NG, bear in mind that I have no knowledge how closely PMDG has been able to replicate the real aircraft due to FSX restrictions or other factors. That is something that I would like to get input from PMDG itself. The reverse thrust mechanism is a complex one to be sure.

First, lets look at idle N1 power. It actually comes in three settings--Ground Idle, Flight Idle, and Approach Idle. These settings have been apparently closely replicated in the NGX. We have all heard the engines spool up automatically when the landing gear is extended even if we are on manual power and idle thrust lever position. My reversers deploy normally from the ground idle N1. Ground idle is achieved a few seconds after touchdown from approach idle. If I wait this period, I can use reverse thrust with no problem.

Now on to the mechanism. In the real 737NG, reversers can be deployed when the radar altimeter reads 10 ft. RA or less, or when the air/ground sensor is on ground mode. The reverse thrust levers cannot be mechanically moved unless the forward thrust levers are in the backstops. These conditions are being met alright, and it appears that everything is well calibrated as can be, at least with my FSX controls and FSX itself. No P3D or FSUIPC here. No reverse thrust can be applied until the reverse doors are deployed. I have noticed, that sometimes the movement of the levers themselves in the VC is anemic, and one takes place before the other. in the real airplane, this would probably occur only with a failure of system A and B for each engine respectively but this is not the case as the hydraulic systems A and B both function properly.

Now, last night after some reading in other threads I configured one of my buttons in the left handle of my GoFlight yoke to assign F2 (decrease throttle rapidly), with a repeat function. This works great as both reversers deploy vigorously and even up to 80%+ N1 power, which is unrealistic as is the mode of operation but it works. For show I can also use my right hand to pull on the levers but at this time what really engaged the reverse is the button on my yoke !!!

Ah I don't know. I would sure like to know how you configured yours and if PMDG can come back with some light on what may be happening here. It might be an FSX issue.

To further add to my previous post, I have been doing some more digging into this problem that I have, and have reached the conclusion that it is by no means a PMDG 737 NGX issue.

First, I would like to request that a moderator edit the title of this thread and add this remark in the tittle. It should not be interpreted this way upon glance.

By default, even using the pollypot GoFlight Interface Tool, the reverse thrust levers in the TQ6 Advanced quadrant must be configured as BUTTONS, not axis. The fact that assigning "decrease thrust rapidly" exists within FSX means the assignment can be placed in the quadrant, yoke, or any other controller. The fact that this FSX assignment moves the levers differently and applies the reverse thrust differently than the GoFlight tool means that it is not a PMDG issue. If it is I will stand corrected. I am thinking it is a configuration issue, and I will look closer into the Interface tool for answers.

Meanwhile, any support with more light is highly appreciated !!

I do not use FSUIPC. I calibrate the axis within the simulator I am using (I have FSX, FSXSE and P3D).  I am using Warthog HOTAS where the thrust reverse is a switch as throttles are pulled up and back into the reverse regime.  Remember, in FSX it is either all reverse or no reverse and it only requires a zero throttle precedes the F2 action. Not realistic but that's what it is.

PMDG has already weighed in on this and it comes up at least once every four months, which you have found already.  I see you latest post just now..... I'm not sure what any support with more light is asking for....

Dan Downs KCRP

Yeah probably wont get that more light except maybe from Pollyot software. Definitely their button reverse configuration acts differently on the PMDG reversers than the FSX "decrease thrust rapidly" F2 button configuration. Maybe there is a later release of the software with better settings I will look into that. Maybe email Steve at Pollypot.

Thanks for your input though

Cheers

Yeah probably wont get that more light except maybe from Pollyot software. Definitely their button reverse configuration acts differently on the PMDG reversers than the FSX "decrease thrust rapidly" F2 button configuration. Maybe there is a later release of the software with better settings I will look into that. Maybe email Steve at Pollypot.

Thanks for your input though

Cheers

Hi there! I have the same problem and was wondering if you had found out a solution for this?

Thanks, Adrian