Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Newbie question about cargo numbers in the FMC

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a daft question but here goes. I use simbrief as my default flight planner.  When I am setting up the cargo number I get the following options..

etc

etc

In the FMC I can't enter those values it just says invalid entry.  I usually setup my flights with 40.0 all the time (don't ask me why) but I enter this in the FMC as 2000 in the front and 2000 in the rear.  Is that right?  My thinking is 40.0 in simbrief is equivalent to 4000lbs?

Cheers

Thomas Derbyshire

Thomas Derbyshire

Seems legit.  If it helps, have you tried out PFPX?  The interface with PFPX is extremely detailed and you may have the options you are looking for and the understanding might be easier.  Cool thing about PFPX is that after you have planned your flight, you can save the plan in a format compatible with PMDG products.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Is that right?

Nope. 4000 is 4.0.

Always, always, read the manual.  :wink:

My thinking is 40.0 in simbrief is equivalent to 4000lbs?

In aviation (pertaining to weights, anyway), you're either going to get the full, unabridged value - 4000 - or you're going to get it in thousands - 4.0. The only common time I'm aware that we knock off hundreds is for altitudes (FL320, which is, 32000).

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks guys, believe it or not I have read the manual but in my defence they are HUGE.  I have also completed both tutorials and learned a heck of a lot in a short space of time!

Thanks for the advice about PPFX, I did look at it but settled on Simbrief because it's free.  Simbrief also includes the functionality to export RTE/WX/PLN files so I went with that instead.  I have already spent way too much money on this flight sim already, the base game only cost me £5 off the store but I've spent over £600 on addons so far!

Thomas Derbyshire

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a daft question but here goes. I use simbrief as my default flight planner.  When I am setting up the cargo number I get the following options..

etc

etc

In the FMC I can't enter those values it just says invalid entry.  I usually setup my flights with 40.0 all the time (don't ask me why) but I enter this in the FMC as 2000 in the front and 2000 in the rear.  Is that right?  My thinking is 40.0 in simbrief is equivalent to 4000lbs?

Cheers

Thomas Derbyshire

Simbrief numbers are in thousands. As Kyle said, for 4000 KG of cargo you need to set Simbrief cargo to 4.0. Rather than load forward and aft cargo, enter the ZFW total in the CDU and let the NGX decide how to load itself. As with the NGX you can set the ZFW directly in Simbrief and leave Cargo and Pax as defaults. That way both Simbrief and NGX weight entries are in thousands.

Simbrief can work in KG or LB, it's up to you. The KG/LB selection is on the right hand side.

Seems legit.  If it helps, have you tried out PFPX?  The interface with PFPX is extremely detailed and you may have the options you are looking for and the understanding might be easier.  Cool thing about PFPX is that after you have planned your flight, you can save the plan in a format compatible with PMDG products.

-Jim

The cool thing about Simbrief is it can do that as well and it's free. PFPX has a lot more planning options, but from what I've seen in screen shots is not as intuitive as Simbrief.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Simbrief numbers are in thousands. As Kyle said, for 4000 KG of cargo you need to set Simbrief cargo to 4.0. Rather than load forward and aft cargo, enter the ZFW total in the CDU and let the NGX decide how to load itself. As with the NGX you can set the ZFW directly in Simbrief and leave Cargo and Pax as defaults. That way both Simbrief and NGX weight entries are in thousands.

Simbrief can work in KG or LB, it's up to you. The KG/LB selection is on the right hand side.

The cool thing about Simbrief is it can do that as well and it's free. PFPX has a lot more planning options, but from what I've seen in screen shots is not as intuitive as Simbrief.

I believe the intention of PFPX was for people to feel like they were filling out an actual plan, so all of the options are available, but I also believe that PFPX not being intuitive was for a reason.  Most of the folks I've seen on Youtube use PFPX and when coupled with PMDG products, especially the 777, it comes in handy.  For the record, I did try Simbrief, but found PFPX a little easier to use, if you can believe that.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I'd consider PFPX more intuitive in its own way (I don't particularly like the "flow" of SimBrief, though at times the PFPX interface can jump around some, too), but I'd agree that it's much more complex. The complexity is how you can do a lot more with it, with more accuracy, but if people aren't looking for that level of control, or to play more of the role of a dispatcher, then I'd say SimBrief is one of the best options available.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks guys, incredibly useful.

Thomas Derbyshire

I believe the intention of PFPX was for people to feel like they were filling out an actual plan, so all of the options are available, but I also believe that PFPX not being intuitive was for a reason.  Most of the folks I've seen on Youtube use PFPX and when coupled with PMDG products, especially the 777, it comes in handy.  For the record, I did try Simbrief, but found PFPX a little easier to use, if you can believe that.

-Jim

I find Simbrief integrates with PMDG sims very well, including the 777. If there's a feature it doesn't exploit then I'm not aware of it. However I know a lot of people who swear by PFPX and wouldn't use anything else, so I can well believe you find it easier to use. I suppose it's analogous to using an FMC. It looks unintuitive and complex initially until you get the underlying concepts, then it becomes very intuitive.

I'd consider PFPX more intuitive in its own way (I don't particularly like the "flow" of SimBrief, though at times the PFPX interface can jump around some, too), but I'd agree that it's much more complex. The complexity is how you can do a lot more with it, with more accuracy, but if people aren't looking for that level of control, or to play more of the role of a dispatcher, then I'd say SimBrief is one of the best options available.

I find it intuitive, but then I haven't used anything else. As Simbrief has everything I want from a flight planner, and is regularly enhanced, then I don't particularly mind how it does it. For those who want to be able to put more in or get more out then PFPX is the only way to go.

No doubt if I had PFPX I'd use the additional features and enthuse over it but I'm happy to resist the temptation. I'd rather spend what PFPX costs on an aircraft addon and Navigraph data updates.

ki9cAAb.jpg