Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Prepar3D blue haze

Hmm dont recall that no biggie Tim - thanks 

Last I remember is that you were on 2 other beta projects and I never heard back since. Contact me on our forum again and let's go from there. 

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Last I remember is that you were on 2 other beta projects and I never heard back since. Contact me on our forum again and let's go from there. 

Super Tim - will do - thank you  :good:

Rich Sennett

I like the ability to generate weather according to the airport code.  But I wish there was a way to select only those part of the them you want to change...based on the generated selection.  Maybe some selection boxe or such so that I can check those parts that i want to apply to the current theme.  That ould be great!

I like the ability to generate weather according to the airport code.  But I wish there was a way to select only those part of the them you want to change...based on the generated selection.  Maybe some selection boxe or such so that I can check those parts that i want to apply to the current theme.  That ould be great!

I see you have posted your feedback in our 'suggestion box' on our forum, thank you for that! I hope others follow as it's a great way for our developers to keep track.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Looking at my screen caps again this evening, it's interesting to note that in some of the screen shots, you can't even see mountains that, in another screenshot, you can see fairly clearly.  Perhaps this is a clue to why vis has always seemed short and hazy in FSX to me.  Having worked in a tower in the military, years back, I have a pretty good idea as to what a 20 or 30 mile visibility day looks like.  Sometimes I look in FSX and think...lord, it's hazy and I look at the vis and it says 25 or more and I scratch my head.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi Gregg,

Have you tried restoring your default or previous (REX2/3) sky themes? Apart from sky textures, the "sky_[...].bmp" files in \Prepar3D v2\texture\ also contain a number of pixels that determine light/shadow colors. Perhaps they also determine the fog/haze color? The image here explains the meaning of the pixels for FS9/FSX, but it should be good for P3D as well:  http://www.cat-tamer...ment_pixels.jpg

Tym

Hi Tym,

I was looking at those sky bitmaps and I noticed there are 10 of them for each time of day.  Do you know why there are 10 of them?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Usually in real life the sky horizon is more of a very light neutral color and the landscape horizon definitely more bluish. If you have a blue sky horizon then that effect isn't seen as well and doesn't look as realistic. Even on a gray overcast day the blue horizon mountains really stand out. Check out Rise of Flight to really see it in a sim. I can't seem to replicate that with REX. The closest I have seen in FS are Pablo Diaz's textures and Flight Environment in FS9. I have a chart showing how the colors are assigned on the sky textures, but don't want to go through the hassles of posting (used to be easy). Anyway the bottom two bars are for high and low horizon.

Usually in real life the sky horizon is more of a very light neutral color and the landscape horizon definitely more bluish. If you have a blue sky horizon then that effect isn't seen as well and doesn't look as realistic. Even on a gray overcast day the blue horizon mountains really stand out. Check out Rise of Flight to really see it in a sim. I can't seem to replicate that with REX. The closest I have seen in FS are Pablo Diaz's textures and Flight Environment in FS9. I have a chart showing how the colors are assigned on the sky textures, but don't want to go through the hassles of posting (used to be easy). Anyway the bottom two bars are for high and low horizon.

It was already posted further up the thread.

Gregg Seipp

It was already posted further up the thread.

Sorry, how's this:

Usually in real life the sky horizon is more of a very light neutral color and the landscape horizon definitely more bluish. If you have a blue sky horizon then that effect isn't seen as well and doesn't look as realistic. Even on a gray overcast day the blue horizon mountains really stand out. Check out Rise of Flight to really see it in a sim. I can't seem to replicate that with REX. The closest I have seen in FS are Pablo Diaz's textures and Flight Environment in FS9.

I had the same problem for a while, but I disabled the volumetric fog in P3D and it seemed to fix it. It seems to me to be way overdone. OPUS does a very nice job of adding haze at the horizon, but it's not overdone. I also have REX OD+TD+SC so I know your frustration. As far as I know, it doesn't have anything to do with REX.

P3D v4, REX SF3D, AS16, ENVTex, PTA 2.60, FSDT KDFW, KLAS, KLAX, KORD, KJFK, KSFD, KIAH, KMEM, KCLT FlightBeam KDEN, KIAD, KPHX, KSFO, KMSP

ASUS Z97 Pro + Wifi, Intel i7 4990k 4.0GHz, EVGA NVidia 970 4GB DDR5, Corsair 16GB DDR3 2400, Samsung SSD 850 250GB, 2x Acer 32" Monitor

I had the same problem for a while, but I disabled the volumetric fog in P3D and it seemed to fix it. It seems to me to be way overdone. OPUS does a very nice job of adding haze at the horizon, but it's not overdone. I also have REX OD+TD+SC so I know your frustration. As far as I know, it doesn't have anything to do with REX.

I think it boils down to picking textures that have less haze.  I think they'd do well to create preview images similar to how they did for dusk and dawn so you could see it.  My issue was 1) I didn't know that the sky textures handled haze and 2) I couldn't see it in the preview.  A little education goes a long way.

Gregg Seipp

Guest tymk

Hi Gregg

Sorry for the late reply, a bit of a time zone difference... :wink:

I was looking at those sky bitmaps and I noticed there are 10 of them for each time of day.  Do you know why there are 10 of them?

AFAIK, Microsoft originally designed FSX to use a 10-day cycle, with each day using a slightly different sky theme, probably to introduce some more variety. However, most weather texture add-on makers (I've seen it with FTX, REX and freeware) prefer to keep the sky colors consistent, which means they have to make ten identical copies of each texture to work around the "cycle".

Tym

AFAIK, Microsoft originally designed FSX to use a 10-day cycle, with each day using a slightly different sky theme, probably to introduce some more variety. However, most weather texture add-on makers (I've seen it with FTX, REX and freeware) prefer to keep the sky colors consistent, which means they have to make ten identical copies of each texture to work around the "cycle".

Tym

That makes sense.  Would have been nice if they'd have used the textures for things like "Clear", "Smog", "Rain", etc.

Gregg Seipp