Sign in to follow this  
jason99vmi

Win 10 Install

Just curious about Win 10 install.  Did you do a clean install of OS or did you install over top of Win 7 or 8? 

I have my FSX on a separate SSD but I'm assuming we need to do a fresh install of FSX and addons.   Dreading that.....

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I did an update install and did not have to re-install a single thing but video drivers.

I rolled back to Win 7 and did not have to re-install a single thing but video drivers.

But wouldn't clean install be better in terms of performance? 

What do you think about this video? 

But wouldn't clean install be better in terms of performance? 

A completely clean install is almost always the best solution to be sure there are no remnants from the prior installation.  It is the completely "pure" path and will give the best performance.  But, considering how mature and complex some people's sim installations are, I can fully understand taking the upgrade path.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

If this helps...a little light at the end of the tunnel concerning updates:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-tweak-windows-10-and-fix-its-minor-annoyances-1720989970

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I did an update install and did not have to re-install a single thing but video drivers.

I rolled back to Win 7 and did not have to re-install a single thing but video drivers.

so jim, why did you roll back to Win 7?    just curious

Thanks for the advice.  Well I plan to move from FSX boxed to FSX SE so a reinstall is in my future anyway. 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Things did not seem to work well on day 1 so I rolled back.

I re did things on day 2, worked a bit slower this time and now everything works and looks great. I have removed the roll back files so it is now Win 10 for me.

I have removed the roll back files so it is now Win 10 for me.

Jim, do you mean the:

"$Windows.~BT"  and "$Windows.~WS"  hidden folders on your system folder ?

BTW: I used the ( very handy )  free version of "Speccy" to determine my new windows 10 Pro key, to be used in any future clean install...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes, those folders no longer are on my system. I did not manually delete them, but I let Win 10 clean them up for me.

Yes, those folders no longer are on my system. I did not manually delete them, but I let Win 10 clean them up for me.

Ah! Ok, using the Windows Disk Cleanup and it's "system files" option, right ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Win 10 was just about as I expected. I tried to upgrade from Win 8.1 twice and it got all the way through to the end of the installation and then it just rolled back to Win 8.1. I won't  try it anymore until I'm forced to build a new system and use it.

Jay - There's a consistent problem for folks upgrading to Windows 10 who have Orbx products installed.  There's an unused "TODO" file in one of the Orbx sub-directories that causes a data migration error during the upgrade.  Here's a link to the post here at Avsim where @DylanM explains what he discovered.  Very simple fix and the Windows 10 upgrades are restored.  I have no idea if that was your error, but thought I would post.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Nope, my error had a totally different error code. I've given up on Win 10 for now. I've never had a problem before when installing either a new or upgraded OS. This is nature's way of warning me not to upgrade. Besides everything online says there is zero advantage to upgrading to Win 10. When p3d 3.0 comes out and takes advantage of DX12, I might do a clean install of Win 10