Sign in to follow this  
jason99vmi

Win 10 Install

Nope, my error had a totally different error code. I've given up on Win 10 for now. I've never had a problem before when installing either a new or upgraded OS. This is nature's way of warning me not to upgrade. Besides everything online says there is zero advantage to upgrading to Win 10. When p3d 3.0 comes out and takes advantage of DX12, I might do a clean install of Win 10

I gave up on Win 10 for the time being after reading that the Win 8  Saitek Pro Flight drivers are all that is available and there are a bunch of complaints online that they don't work properly in Win 10. The way that Mad Catz/Saitek tech support works is that it might be 6 months before they figure out that they need to release new drivers. 

I had problems with the Saitek systems when using Windows 8.1.The controllers sometimes would not show in the menu. They work just fine in Windows 10.

Oh no, Win 10 fixed something. Think the world is going to end now.

Win 10 was just about as I expected. I tried to upgrade from Win 8.1 twice and it got all the way through to the end of the installation and then it just rolled back to Win 8.1. I won't  try it anymore until I'm forced to build a new system and use it.

Heh heh, I tricked those old sneaky devils at MS. I disconnected all my USB devices and the install went perfectly. It must have been a driver issue somewhere. So far I haven't noticed anything new and exciting about Windows 10. Or bad for that matter.

Jay - There's a consistent problem for folks upgrading to Windows 10 who have Orbx products installed.  There's an unused "TODO" file in one of the Orbx sub-directories that causes a data migration error during the upgrade.  Here's a link to the post here at Avsim where @DylanM explains what he discovered.  Very simple fix and the Windows 10 upgrades are restored.  I have no idea if that was your error, but thought I would post.

Doug Thank You very much for this simple yet very valuable info.I was getting VERY fustrated trying to upgrade.This should be made a sticky in this forum IMHO

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

I installed W10 on my Windows 8.1 laptop, an ISO version of W10. It did not recognise my 2nd monitor & there was no start menu. It also wanted a W10 key!. I rolled back to W8.1 with no problems.

I then installed on my W7 laptop. No key required but screen resolution was 1024x768.

I'm currently downloading display drivers as we speak. I will check & report back later.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I installed W10 on my Windows 8.1 laptop, an ISO version of W10. It did not recognise my 2nd monitor & there was no start menu. It also wanted a W10 key!. I rolled back to W8.1 with no problems.

I then installed on my W7 laptop. No key required but screen resolution was 1024x768.

I'm currently downloading display drivers as we speak. I will check & report back later.

When you upgrade from W7 or W8.1, you don't get a W10 key. Your computer is simply "authorised" to run W10. Setup puts this information on your BIOS.

Everyone who upgraded from W7 or W8.1 has the same product key for W10, whether it's the Home or Professional edition. It seems MS wants to move away from product keys and into hardware activation.

Well, upgrading from my W8.1 laptop, fully updated & legal, using the ISO, it did ask for a key, installed, then said the key had been used too many times.

I had to search for a 'generic' key.

My W7 update is working well, once I updated the graphics.

So, my W8.1 is a bit of a mystery then! I still have my reservation icon lurking on the bottom right!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Well, upgrading from my W8.1 laptop, fully updated & legal, using the ISO, it did ask for a key, installed, then said the key had been used too many times.

I had to search for a 'generic' key.

My W7 update is working well, once I updated the graphics.

So, my W8.1 is a bit of a mystery then! I still have my reservation icon lurking on the bottom right!

When upgrading, you're not supposed to put in a product key. Just click "Skip". Also, you're not supposed to use an ISO. Just use the Media Creation Tool.

Forget about the reservation icon. Use the Media Creation Tool.

Ok, I'll try again. I did use the Media Creation Tool, but not the option to upgrade the PC, but the other option to upgrade other PC's.

I'll try a bit later today. Many thanks.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

To get the key use, for instance, Piriform's Speccy

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, when I tried on my W8.1 from the iso, it asked for a key. It rejected my 8.1 key & wanted a W10 key. Google found a list of 'generic' keys, as they called it. I used one that allowed me to carry on the install. There was no skip. W10 then installed, & when I went to the personalzation settings, it then said that the key had been useds too many times.

My W7 upgrade did not ask for anything, using the same iso.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Wobbie, I tried the Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop. Nvidia GTX860M plus Intel HD Graphics card. Had numerous issues with black screens when opening P3D even with latest Windows 10 Nvidia drivers.. Found that my Intel Driver needed updating..Then everytime I opened a PMDG product, had to reactivate every time...ASN telling me I have too many registrations, etc, etc. Then the next issue was the Windows 10 updates wouldn't update! Kept on telling me Updates had failed. And then Norton became disabled and started to receive annoying pop-ups on my web browsers. I reverted back to 8.1. I'm sure I'll go back to 10 when I can resolve my issues. 10 looks promising and eventually we will all have to go there..

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

So, I just tried the Media Creation Tool, told it that I wanted to upgrade the PC, & it told me 'Something happened'! No error message.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...