Sign in to follow this  
morgank

Engine cut off and idle jumps back

I built my own B737 throttle which works very well with Linda.
But I have a problem with the engine cut off and idle buttons.
I want to stop the engines (PDMG737) and activate the buttons with the handle on the throttle unit, moving it down to cut off.
In the cockpit the handles follow down, but after a couple second they go back to Idle.

Have tried different alternatives, but have not been able tol solve this problem.

To stop the engines, I must use the mouse on the handles tom make them stay down.

Any one experienced the same or have a suggestion?

You probably have some conflicting assignments in LINDA, FSX/P3D or FSUIPC4 that are 'fighting' each other to give this effect.

I am not familiar with the 737 throttle set up but a quick test with my PMDG737NGX using the following assignments works (X = 1 or 2):

NGX ENGX idle

NGX ENGX cutoff

However, the NGX ENGX toggle does not work as first appearance. We will need to check this out.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

There is definitely an error in the PMDG737NGX module 3.3 with the two NGX_EngX_toggle functions. The first line if pic.readLvar('ngx_switch_68x_a') == 0 then should be changed to == 100.

You don't say how you have implemented the IDLE/CUTOFF switch. Are you using a toggle switch or buttons? Which LINDA functions are you using?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I do not use toggle, in Linda  I have NGX_ENG1_idle, NGX_ENG1_cutoff
I use normal on-off switches.

In edit module:

4410 function NGX_ENG1_idle ()

ipc.control(70320, 0)
DspShow ("ENG1", "idle")

end

and so on.

I have NOTHING in FSX whatsoever, deleted everything to avoid conflict.

Right, that gives me a clue. Because you are using an on-off switch (eg. on = idle, off = cutoff) rather than a momentary button (on when pressed, off when released,) you need to assign an OnPress and an OnRelease function. The OnPress should be set to NGX_ENGX_idle and the OnRelease to NGX_ENGX_cutoff (where X is 1 or 2 pending on engine). If your switches is wired the other way round just swap the assignments.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

No, It is on at cut off, on when pressed, and on as log as pressed.

off at idle, of as long as it is idle.
So even when the switch is pressed, the handle in cockpit returns to idle, and engines does not shut down.

I can not and do not want to have idle on released button. In Linda I can choose if i want pressed or released.

So i have NGX ENG 1 cut off when pressed and idle on release.

Also in fsuipc there is no assignment as I can see. I get the number of buttob/switch thats all. As in Linda.

This is mystique 

I am sorry but I am running out of suggestions. I know the functions are working on my system. I would try to eliminate your throttles as a source of the problem. Find a button or switch on another device and see whether you can get the functions to work as you wish. Try the NGX_ENGx_idle and _cutoff on 2 separate buttons. If that does not work, disconnect your throttles completely and retest. If these actions work then the problems lies with your throttle switches.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I have now checked the switches.
First, I assigned one engine to taxi light. Same happens, after 3 seconds, the light goes back to off.
I checked the switches and compared with a new unused switch, wit same resistance and function.
Then I moved one switch from nr 5 to nr 20 on the BU0836X card. but same happens.
Also I discovered that the idle-cut off arm in cockpit was activated even on release. When I releases the micro switch the handle want down, the up again.

I had one theory that it was th I/O cards software which was the problem, but since I got the same action when I moved the cables from pos 5 to 20 it should not be that.
Then maybe I should make a shot to PDMG forum to give a shot in the dark:

I will try to find an another switch and assign as well, different from the ones I have and see what happens
This is only meant as info of the progress so far :))

I don't know the interface cards you are using. I think it time to get the circuit test out and check you inputs and outputs. I would also use LINDA's Trace facility to monitor the ngx_switch_xxxx values that you will find in the actions.lau file under the _toggle functions.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I use Leo Bodnar BU836X card.
I have now tested with the park brake switch and one extra switch. I assigned the latter switch to an external light as well,

with same result.

I have searched for Linda's trace facility, but did not find it.
I love to solve problems :)

I have searched for Linda's trace facility, but did not find it.

You first need to select developer mode on the Settings page. The LINDA Tracer is at the middle right on the same page. Then on the top of the left hand panel under under Lau variables type in the required variable name.  I don't have access to my system and the PMDG737NGX at the moment so you will need to use the LINDA Editor to open the 737 actions.lua file in /linda/aircrafts folder and find the function NGX_ENGx_toggle functions to find the correct ngx_switch_ variable number.  Enter variable into the Tracer and click on Start to monitor.  Changes in this variable will appear in the LINDA Console window.  This will show you what your simulator is seeing as the set idle/cutoff switch position. Simples!

Again you should try assigning the functions to a device (joystick button) that does not go through your interface cards.  This will isolate that the problem lies with the card and not your sim.  I am not seeing the resetting of the levers that you are. So I suspect it is a function of the card logic.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Made a test tonight with windows game controller, similar as in FSX program.
Flightsim and Linda was not started.
I discovered that ALL switches returned to off position via BU0836X card.
I  informed Leo Bodnar about it tongight. Will be interesting to hear if they have any suggestions.

We will find out sooner or later :D

Problem solved!

I flashed the software of the BU0836X card, and everything worked.

The software was coorupt, according to Leo Bodnar.
A lesson learned. :-)

Now I will make a short haul test flight.

Problem solved!

I flashed the software of the BU0836X card, and everything worked.

The software was coorupt, according to Leo Bodnar.

A lesson learned. :-)

Now I will make a short haul test flight.

I am pleased you got it sorted out. At least the exercise has highlighted a fault in the PDMG 737NGX module which I would ask Guensil to pick up on.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK