Sign in to follow this  
Jibbs

New Saitek Throttle Solution?

Hey guys,

I have been a long time viewer but have never posted much on the forums. However, I recently finished something that I thought I would share. Using a 3d printer, I designed these saitek replacement knobs that I custom modeled. I was inspired by the learjet 45's simplicity and style of knob, and I thought that would be a great place to start. Over about a month i managed to finish them and get the hang of using a 3d printer. The reverse levers rotate, but do not function in the flight sim for obvious technical reasons. Now that I have a replacement solution for my own flight sim, I have a few questions for the community: What do you think? Would you be interested in this as a product? Should I consider selling additional kits? Where would I post such a thread? Is there anything in the design that should be changed? It is just a thought for the moment, but I am interested in what you guys have to say to a potential ... say $50 vanity item. BckxnJm.jpg?1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Those are some of the best looking and robust throttles I have seen yet! I would recommend the following to truly make them different:

• Make them for 2 throttle quadrants so that reversers and flaps can have their own control as well. 
  • Try to make stops for the reversers so that when the throttles are in idle position, the reversers can come back to to a realistic position

Looks good :)  I'll be looking to get something of that type shortly, when I have sorted a proper mounting solution for the quadrants.

A couple of observations if I may.  Personally, I like the wide handles, but I'd like to see a small amount of indentation on the throttle handles, I'm not worried about it being a replica of any given airliner, but something to guide the fingers into a position where they aren't going to touch another lever accidentally.  Secondly, if you are doing a 2 throttle + 1 additional handle, I'd suggest modelling it after a flap lever and showing that it can fit on the right hand side of the throttles, like most airliners.  It's more useful than a spoiler handle and it's not immediately obvious from the pictures whether it's reversible and therefore useable as a flap lever.

Cheers,

Jamie

Looks good :)  I'll be looking to get something of that type shortly, when I have sorted a proper mounting solution for the quadrants.

A couple of observations if I may.  Personally, I like the wide handles, but I'd like to see a small amount of indentation on the throttle handles, I'm not worried about it being a replica of any given airliner, but something to guide the fingers into a position where they aren't going to touch another lever accidentally.  Secondly, if you are doing a 2 throttle + 1 additional handle, I'd suggest modelling it after a flap lever and showing that it can fit on the right hand side of the throttles, like most airliners.  It's more useful than a spoiler handle and it's not immediately obvious from the pictures whether it's reversible and therefore useable as a flap lever.

Cheers,

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Have you made any progress with your project? I'd definitely be willing to pay the requested price, depending on functionality of course. Please let me know if you have. Thanks.

Cheers,

Hi Jamie,

Have you made any progress with your project? I'd definitely be willing to pay the requested price, depending on functionality of course. Please let me know if you have. Thanks.

Cheers,

Hi Paul,

Those were suggestions for the OP.

Cheers,

Jamie