Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Couple questions about Xplane

After seeing the Cessna video and now thinking of getting xplane what does the whole thing cost, is there a bundle price or? Also I just see dvd for sale, is there a download xplane?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

After seeing the Cessna video and now thinking of getting xplane what does the whole thing cost, is there a bundle price or? Also I just see dvd for sale, is there a download xplane?

You currently have the option of buying it on DVD or on Steam.  However, in the next release (soon, I hope) they are implementing a download version directly from them.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

There is a digital download available at the official X-Plane site.

www.x-plane.com/store/desktop

That really seems to be a new delivery method offered directly by Laminar Research.

(The "Steam" download also exists.)

I think it is a good move towards an easy and direct access for the clients.

I bought the DVD version from the X-Plane store web site in the beginning of March this year (8 Dual layer DVD-ROMs). I had to pay the necessary shipping which was done by FedEX via Memphis and Cologne to Hamburg (Germany). In addition to that I had to pay extra TAX (import) for which FedEX also added a little handling fee.

So all in all (as a foreign purchaser wanting to be in contact with the developer directly) it got "a bit more expensive (and cumbersome)" than intended. In the end it might have been better to buy the DVDs via e.g. Aerosoft.

The price of the new direct download is identical to the DVD-version but there are no extra costs...

X-Plane is a great program with many new things in development and a busy community. The "plausible world" concept makes it look and feel more real than the rather pittoresque appearance of the competitors...

IMO the superior basis for sim applications B)

To add to what others have said, some info that could be useful for non X-Plane users and to highlight the differences with FSX/P3D:

.X-Plane routinely releases updates with improved or new features. They don't usually (I'd say almost never?) cause compatibility problems with old add-ons. X-Plane updates are free until the next major version (so if you buy X-Plane 10, you are entitled to free updates up to an hypothetical 10.99 version).

.The final version of a new release is preceded by a cycle of Beta releases. If you buy X-Plane on Steam, you can not participate to the Beta testing phase, so in this case you can update to the new release only when it's out of beta and finalized.

.There is a free demo version of X-Plane available at http://www.x-plane.com/downloads/x-plane_10_demo/

The demo version has all the features of the full version (you can even install add-ons) but there's a time limit each time you run it.

.The airport buildings in X-Plane are crowdsourced. This means that users continuously contribute in adding airport buildings that are then added to X-Plane at each new release. In the last 21 months, 1730 airports with buildings have been added to X-Plane. Airports without buildings only have runways, taxyway and aprons.

.There are no different terrain textures for the 4 season (just summer). There are freeware winter textures available for download. It has been hinted in blog posts/interviews that they're working on implementing procedural seasons for X-Plane 11.

.At the moment ATC is poorer than FSX default ATC. There's a topic in this forum about a plugin to make Radar Contact 4 work with X-Plane.

.AI traffic implementation is poorer compared to FSX. There's a payware add-on called "World Traffic" but I don't use it so I can't speak about its features.

.There are a handful of freeware add-ons that can make A TON of improvement to the default look and scenery of X-Plane.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Ok downloaded the demo and it looked pretty good but found out it uses only one of my three video cards so no SLI support for this sim. In fact it worked my one card so hard it reached 80c before I could shut it down. I never run my cards above 70 and hopefully didn't toast one trying this out. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

And there's X-Camera that's similar to EZDOK but in my opinion superior in many respects. See https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/x-camera-videos/

. . . by today's' standards, my 580 is considered a 'low-end' card and works very well with XP10 . . . meaning I get very acceptable FPSs with reasonable graphics demand.

In fact it worked my one card so hard it reached 80c before I could shut it down. I never run my cards above 70 and hopefully didn't toast one trying this out.

Looking at your profile, I can see you run 980's.  80 degrees C is the 'target temperature' for this board from the factory. Meaning, it will automatically try to adjust itself under load to run at this temp - you'll never see it hotter, since it will ramp up the fan, and if need be, start adjusting voltage.  Through an app like EVGA's PrecisionX, you can actually change the target temperature lower if you want; meaning yes, your card will run cooler because it will ramp the fan speed up sooner, but if you go too low, it will start throttling the card back to maintain that temp.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Regarding multi-GPU support, here's an article explaining why SLI isn't supported, because it could actually slow down the sim engine. It's from ver. 9, but apparently it's still valid since it's on the company web site:

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=slicrossfire-x-plane

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Still working at it. 

Does Xplane have weather radar in any plane, payware or freeware?

Thanks,

paul

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Still working at it. 

It has a weather radar in many planes since it is a default feature.

Yes but actually it doesn't work as an airborne weather radar, but rather it's similar to XM satellite weather.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

So if I buy the Steam version is there any way I can download a beta update? If it is not possible with Steam then do all download versions of Xplane rule out beta updates?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

So if I buy the Steam version is there any way I can download a beta update? If it is not possible with Steam then do all download versions of Xplane rule out beta updates?

No there is not,  when using Steam Version you will get access to the RC candidates but not the beta. If you use the digital version of Laminar you will get access to beta. So in general steam is only worth it if you desperately want all apps in steam, or you want to take advantage of the sales they have every few months and save 60ish percent on the price