Sign in to follow this  
mrvoyager

Autotrim deactivation

This topic has been beaten to death honestly........If there is any topic I have commented a lot on, then it is the FBW trim topic.

And it keeps coming back.....why do you think that is?

The real Boeing FBW and trim system are not the problem.

She flies beautifully smooth I promise!

Its the "within the confines of FSX/P3D" part that causes the problem.

First we had a PMDG777 that auto trimmed all the time, like an airbus.

When that was finally rectified more than a year later, we had faulty trim coding resulting in the PMDG777 trimming correctly in one direction only.

And when that was corrected with I think SP1b, we were all so happy that we could finally manuall trim the 777 that we (me included) said....wow, now that is like the real thing!

Truth is.....the "within the confines of FSX/P3D" part, is making the PMDG777 so hard to manually fly......much harder than the real thing......that the request for a "disable FBW" system is really understandable.

I can not fly this PMDG777 properly unless I display the FBW trim speed and make sure that FBW trim speed = actual speed AT ALL TIMES.

I can not do this by feel on my system with the hardware I use (Saitek Cessna Yoke).

All I can say to those who have difficulty manually flying this 777 is:

- dont worry about it, you are not alone

- enjoy this simulation as a systems simulation and learn how to use all the AP features.

(especially Lnav/Van approaches are quite a cool feature)

- if you do want to fly manually then make sure you display the FBW trim speed (cheat mode) and anytime the FBW trim speed indication deviates from actual speed.....even if only by 2kt......hit the trim switches to activate blib trim.

Anytime you are out of trim.....even if just a little......you will be having a fighthing hard time to keep a constant flight path!

And since even the AT does not keep an exact constant speed under varying conditions, you should be using that blib feature all the time....a lot of blipping should be going on.....if not you WILL be out of trim and all over the place!

Frooglesim does a great "Layman's" explanation of how FBW works within the sim.  Either watch from the beginning or skip ahead to about the 12:00 mark and he explains how it all works.

Hopefully this helps you out.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Really? I am really getting to be an old man.  No way am I going to watch a 30 min video of something that can be explained on a page in the Introduction document.

One comment totally baffles me:  The need to keep blipping the trim. Well duh!  That's how I was taught to fly.  Always "Fly the Trim, Fly the Trim" my instructor would advise as I struggled to chase the needles under the hood during instrument training.  If you are not constantly trimming during a maneuver then my instructor would like to talk to you.

Dan Downs KCRP

Really? I am really getting to be an old man.  No way am I going to watch a 30 min video of something that can be explained on a page in the Introduction document.

One comment totally baffles me:  The need to keep blipping the trim. Well duh!  That's how I was taught to fly.  Always "Fly the Trim, Fly the Trim" my instructor would advise as I struggled to chase the needles under the hood during instrument training.  If you are not constantly trimming during a maneuver then my instructor would like to talk to you.

Sorry, just thought I would contribute some visual information.  Sometimes people lose the meaning of things when reading but being shown things can help.  Froogle does a great job explaining things in layman's terms.  Just for the record, I did mention before that you could skip ahead to the 12 minute mark to grab the more pertinent info.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

LOL don't apologize. I know you're trying to help and I really am turning into a grumpy old man. What is UTube anyway??

Dan Downs KCRP