Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Everyone else really successful with FSX in Win 10?

Well my upgrade went fairly well. I did make a "clone" of my system drive, and verified its operation before proceeding. Good move!

The update process discarded my nVidia driver and installed a basic windows graphics driver. Screen looked very unusual. DL'd and installed nVidia GeForce driver 3.44.48 as I found several reports that driver works well. I have GTX 560TI.  

OK. Now my desktop is there and all looks OK. Ran several key applications and only one failed, a replacement file manager to Windows Explorer named Powerdesk. Not a critical issue.  Then I tried FSX.

This is where it all came apart for me. Upon starting FSX, the first barrier was needing to update license and registration on three FSDreamteam airports.  After that I got to the FSX start screen just fine. Loaded a saved flight that had a GTN installed and as the flight was loading received a compatibility error with the GTN Lite Trainer. Did not know how to fix that, so I just went along with the prompts.  Had to restart FSX.  Once there again Alt-tab's out and started Spad to activate my Saitek panel, then back in FSX loaded the same flight. Screen went black with a movable mouse pointer. Lots of the customary HD activity. But no progress bar while the terrain and scenery loaded.  Unusual. 

Did eventually arrive into FSX on the tarmac with a running airplane. But my Saitek panel was dark and no response from my flight controls. Another Alt-tab out. Closed Spad via Task Manager and restarted. Got compatibility error. Ran through prompts, going with the flow. Started Spad again. Back into FSX, still no evidence that Spad was doing anything. Then, I was able to get the FSX menu bar with the Alt key, but any attempt to click on a menu option caused a strange toggle to my Win 10 desktop, and an immediate return into FSX. Not a crash, but clicking any menu bar header causes what appears to be an Alt-tab followed by an immediate additional Alt-tab.

Obviously I am back to my clone.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I re-installed Win 10 today, updated NV driver to the Win 10 latest version, deleted my shader files, and ran FSX.

GSX re-activated no problems and FSX looked great, both in DX9 and DX10 mode.

Win 10 is a keeper.

deleted my shader files

Would you explain this part? Thanks. Really want to make this work.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Anyone try Reality XP gauges in Win 10?

GNS 430/530?  FLT?  FLN?

Bert

I just took the plunge and updated my desktop/sim computer to W10.

Everything is working perfectly, except for the "preview window" before flight. Somebody on the forum talked about this issue, however I can't find the fix:

post-254482-0-22619300-1438413349.png

Everything is working perfectly, except for the "preview window" before flight.

Diego, DX9 seems to be broken in W10 you will need Steve's DX10 fixer and run in DX10 mode (far better anyway) to get the  preview window back

Would you explain this part? Thanks. Really want to make this work.

In your App Data/Local/Microsoft/FSX there is a folder called Shaders. Delete the contents and run FSX to build a new set.

Everything is working perfectly, except for the "preview window" before flight. Somebody on the forum talked about this issue, however I can't find the fix:

Make sure the NV driver is 353.62.

Also delete the Shader contents.

FSX works fine under both DX9 and DX10, including the Preview Window.

Diego, DX9 seems to be broken in W10 you will need Steve's DX10 fixer and run in DX10 mode (far better anyway) to get the  preview window back

I have never used DX10 mode, so I would rather not.

Make sure the NV driver is 353.62.

Also delete the Shader contents.

Hmm.. I'm running 353.62, and I've cleared the Shader folder. Same issue. My FSX settings have Anti Aliasing off, but the box is set for Bilinear. If I check the Anti Aliasing box, the preview window comes back again. However, I would rather not use FSX's built in anti aliasing. Any other ideas?

Not sure that statement applies to each and every system. I initially had 353.62 installed but had not deleted the shader contents at that time. So I may try that again as a new combination of steps.  My preview window has been fine under both drivers, but once the flight loads the issues have been the same.

Has nobody else had compatibility issues with SPAD, or the Garmin GTN Trainer or FS Global Real Weather? Seem to have the GTN Trainer and FS Global Real Wx fixed (no more W10 intercepts) but I still cannot get my controls to work with SPAD.

Per my SPAD issue do I need a new version of FSUIPC?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

With me exactly the same , hook AA on: Preview window Ok.

AA out: Preview Window black !

Also 1/2 refresh rate on Nvidia Inspector without function !

Greetz

holliwutt

i7-10700k 5,1 GHz - 18 GB RAM - ASUS 1080Ti  - Dell G-Sync Monitor

With me exactly the same , hook AA on: Preview window Ok.

AA out: Preview Window black !

Also 1/2 refresh rate on Nvidia Inspector without function !

Greetz

holliwutt

Nvidia inspector might need an updated version first.

OK, I finally got FSX running and seems to be OK. Did not fly yet, just sitting in the cockpit and going through pre-flight procedures. Had to checkmark DX10 Preview. That seems to have fixed the FSX situation. I was not able to access the settings from within a running FSX, meaning after I had loaded a flight. All heck would break loose. Once I hit the Alt key to bring up the menu bar, any mouse click on any of options would act like a couple of quick Alt-Tabs. I would see my desktop, and then FSX would flash back up.

I accessed settings via the startup/preview screen, checkmarked DX10. For precaution I then closed FSX and restarted. 

On my Spad issue, which I will post as a new topic, once I had FSX running in DX10 mode I was able to check my flight controls and my Saitek Multipanel. What I found was the yoke and rudder pedals are fine. The buttons, selector switch, rotary dial, and flaps switch all work, but the multipanel screen stays dark.  I found a number of posts where this was happening with the rollout from Windows 8.0 to 8.1, but so far I have not seen what if anything resolved that issue back then.  I already have the appropriate Windows USB power management set to disable.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I have never used DX10 mode, so I would rather not.

Why not ? it's light years better than under DX9, whitecaps that are directional according to the wind direction, cockpit shadows, better performance all round, why would you not want that.

I did after more trials and tribulations complete a flight in the RealAir Turbine Duke V2 equipped with one F1 GTN 750, from Indianapolis to Chicago Midway. I used MegaScenery Hi Res Cities for both as well as MSE Indiana and Illinois, FSDT O'hare, an add-on Midway, and Blueprint's Indianapolis Intl airport so I expect that put a load on my system. Frame rates were at or near the locked 30 that I have set, dropping into the mid 20's around Chicago, and falling into the high teens when I was on final approach and between Midway and O'hare with downtown Chicago off to my left. Still plenty smooth enough to land.

I have made the same flight a number of times, though in other aircraft such as the Carenado C90 and MilViz B55 Baron. I believe the flight today under Windows 10 provided better performance, but the experience was not true apples to apples with earlier flights.  

Now the bad. I still do not have the display working on my Saitek Multi Panel. In addition to SPAD I also installed the most current Saitek driver for the multi panel. But FSX or Windows, or both did not like it upon starting FSX. After the "do you trust" prompts for the driver, the FSX preview screen loaded fine. When when I loaded a flight and went to fly, at the end of the scenery load progress bar FSX minimized itself to the taskbar.  And there it stayed. I could do nothing to get it back up on screen. Pointing the mouse pointer at the minimized icon produced a mini display that showed me it was running, but that was all I could get out of it.

Next I removed that Saitek multi panel driver from my system and was then able to run FSX successfully for the above flight. But without the display of my multi panel working. The multi panel switches and dials work in FSX, but no display.

Finally, I am having issues when I quit FSX. FSX closes. The SPAD process is still running, as well as my FltPlan Go application and FS Global Real Weather.  I am unable to close any of them. They are showing as running, but do not respond. So I start Windows Task Manager and try to close them there and all heck breaks loose. I am unable to accomplish anything in Task Manager or elsewhere on my system.  All that works after that starts are key presses. Every mouse click I make is greeted my bleep sounds. I can access the Windows 10 Start menu and select to Restart my system, and Windows 10 starts the restart process.  But it never gets anywhere. It sat there once for over 90 minutes while I waited it out patiently. All three times this occurred I had to shut down the system by physically holding down the power button.

Booting back into my Windows 7 clone and staying there until my sanity returns.

Frank Patton
ASUS