Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Everyone else really successful with FSX in Win 10?

The .exe operated OK in Win 10, and configured (5) items in the registry, but it made no difference.

Today there was a difference. I went into Control Panel, Device Manager, and took another stab at identifying My Saitek Multipanel. It was still the same device in order, but the latter part of the Instance Path had changed. I decided to take a look with Regedit and found the needed change now listed under the parameters.  Exited both Regedit and Device Manager and started Spad and noted that for the first time under Windows 10 the Multipanel's display initialized (lit up and sequenced). Started FSX and was able to verify the Multipanel's display operates now.  The .exe fix file linked earlier in this thread should work. You may have to have some perseverance, but it should work. 

On another note in regard to Windows 10, I continue at times to have trouble with my mouse. It may be happening after any hot swap of my USB flight controls. I need to test and verify. What happens is that the pointer becomes unstable, moving in even increments, and button presses only result in beeps. I am forced to reboot when it happens.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

All OK here. Upgraded from Win7 to Win10 without the ordeal of having to reinstall FSX.

Same frame rates, identical experience. How?

Initially there was a black preview window and black display within the sim.

• Deleted (renamed) FSX.cfg. Allowed the sim to build a new one. Don't worry, you can get your settings back later.

• AA turned *ON* from within FSX (ignored Nvidia Inspector, default settings if you hit problems)

• Run FSX in compatability mode (WinXP SP3)

At this point FSX was up and running. I then pasted sections of FSX.cfg from my old file to the new one to restore the settings. Most sections could be pasted OK, I think it was the "display" bit that caused a problem.

There were a couple of crashes which the event viewer said were UIAutomationcore.dll so......

• UIAutomationcore.dll fix to FSX installation folder (never needed this on Win7 but it was needed for Win10)

Hey presto. Same experience as Win7. No crashes, smooth frames, PMDG, ASN, etc all fine.

Hope that's helpful to someone.

Marc

I have never used DX10 mode, so I would rather not.

Hmm.. I'm running 353.62, and I've cleared the Shader folder. Same issue. My FSX settings have Anti Aliasing off, but the box is set for Bilinear. If I check the Anti Aliasing box, the preview window comes back again. However, I would rather not use FSX's built in anti aliasing. Any other ideas?

i have the same issues when i tick the Anti Aliasing box preview window returns and sharp edges disappear also would windows 10 change clouds as they look so different and so does the sunset in my FSX now?

also would windows 10 change clouds as they look so different and so does the sunset in my FSX now?

No, but it has changed your Graphics drivers and probably your monitor color profile this would account for the color change

On another note in regard to Windows 10, I continue at times to have trouble with my mouse. It may be happening after any hot swap of my USB flight controls. I need to test and verify. What happens is that the pointer becomes unstable, moving in even increments, and button presses only result in beeps. I am forced to reboot when it happens.

As I reported in another Topic in this Windows 10 forum, I found a workaround for the issue where my mouse would go haywire upon unplugging either my Saitek yoke or Saitek Multipanel. Once I have finished flying I exit FSX. Then I go immediately into Control Panel/Device Manager to the HID section and find and disable the yoke and multipanel. The yoke is nicely labeled. If you are having this issue then you will need to do some trial and error to find the entry for the multi-panel.  I do this before unplugging either Saitek device.

When I follow this routine my mouse stays happy and Windows 10 stays happy, and I stay happy.  I do find that I need to return to Device Manager and enable the yoke before the next time I use it.  I found that running SPAD, which I used to drive the Multipanel, enables it as it initializes it.

This workaround appears to remove the last barrier I was experiencing before fully embracing Windows 10, though I will not be embracing the Edge browser until Microsoft provides a way to organize my bookmarks the way "I" want them organized.  Edge imported my Chrome bookmarks "upside down and backwards" and makes it like pulling teeth to reorganize them!

Brickbats to Saitek for failing to support its customers with timely drivers!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

No, but it has changed your Graphics drivers and probably your monitor color profile this would account for the color change

Well it turns out it was me being a little thick haha I did a complete reinstall of FSX when I installed Windows 10 which obviously removed my sun mod and cloud textures which now i have installed with the Anti Aliasing ticked within FSX seems to have fixed it. Thanks for the reply anyway.  

Anyone try Reality XP gauges in Win 10?

GNS 430/530?  FLT?  FLN?

Hi Bert, I have tested the FLT, FLN GNS430W, GNS530W, and Unlimited. All is working. I used the Carenado F33A Bonanza and flew a LPV and ILS approach.

My windows 10 install was an upgrade from the latest ISO build on DVD over windows 7 ultimate so I have Win10 pro at this time. After a few windows updates it seems the sim is working. I do not have any addon scenery on this PC the only add ons are Nvidia inspector and SweetFX. Sweet FX is working for those who use it. I think Nvidia inspector needs an update as I see a little bit of jagged lines. I did not have the black screen where the spinning plane would bee all was good. I did notice the loading window was not visable in full screen mode but was visable in window mode. After my first run and shut down a compatibility mode window came up and after applying it now the loading window is visable in full screen mode.

This install is on my test system so I have no worries about this upgrade.

Scott

Scott

Hi Bert, I have tested the FLT, FLN GNS430W, GNS530W, and Unlimited. All is working. I used the Carenado F33A Bonanza and flew a LPV and ILS approach.

My windows 10 install was an upgrade from the latest ISO build on DVD over windows 7 ultimate so I have Win10 pro at this time. After a few windows updates it seems the sim is working. I do not have any addon scenery on this PC the only add ons are Nvidia inspector and SweetFX. Sweet FX is working for those who use it. I think Nvidia inspector needs an update as I see a little bit of jagged lines. I did not have the black screen where the spinning plane would bee all was good. I did notice the loading window was not visable in full screen mode but was visable in window mode. After my first run and shut down a compatibility mode window came up and after applying it now the loading window is visable in full screen mode.

This install is on my test system so I have no worries about this upgrade.

Scott

Wow, that is amazing and unexpected good news!

Are you saying that you are running FSX in some compatibility mode?

:smile:

Bert

I upgraded my Windows 7 home premium to Windows 10 a couple days ago. I run FSX:SE with countless addons including PMDG NGX & 777, Aerosoft AXE, QW757, FSDT, Taxi2Gate, and Flytampa airports, Orbx FTX Global, Active Sky Next SP3, REX Overdrive w/ Essentials. 

Only things I changed when I upgraded were that I let FSX build a new .cfg and then added tweaks that I had found to work good on my system, and also deleted the shader cache just in case. No reinstalling of addons or FSX:SE itself. Nvidia Inspector also has worked flawlessly. Drivers have been on 353.60.

My only problem was having to install Windows 7 fonts because the QW757 uses some of them in the FMC. Other than that, I have experienced no problems in 5 flights. I have not payed too close of attention to fps yet, but overall it feels ever so slightly smoother.  

I haven't found any problems with Windows 10, but I also would not rush into it if your Windows 7/8 install is working fine for you.

*Do note: I run FSX on DX10 with Steve's DX10 fixer*

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Wow, that is amazing and unexpected good news!

Are you saying that you are running FSX in some compatibility mode?

:smile:

I belive so. It was done automatically,when I shut down FSX a small window came up to let me know this and I clicked ok.

Scott

I belive so. It was done automatically,when I shut down FSX a small window came up to let me know this and I clicked ok.

Here is the window that pops up after I closed FSX the first run.

411573681.jpg

Scott

Here is the window that pops up after I closed FSX the first run.

411573681.jpg

After I got the above message, that's when I lost the preview plane and FSX locked up. 

I'm going to assume that this can be compatibility mode can be disabled before opening FSX for the first time.

I only had windows 10 installed for a few minutes and I can't wait to try it again.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I had full success with Win 10 with the exception of Saitek product/driver issues.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Hello all,

A recap of my own experience about Windows 10 migration.

Installed Win 10 Pro from Win 8.1 Pro on July, 29. Install went with no problem and system is working fine.

My hardware config :

- CPU : Intel I7 4790K

- GPU : Asus STRIX GTX980

- RAM : 16 Gb

- Disk Drives : 

- Win 10 on 1st SSD

- FSX on 2nd SSD

- Add-ons that does not need to be inside FSX folder are on a Hard Disk Drive (3 Tb 7200)

- Screen : 27" / 2560*1440

- HOTAS Warthog + Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals

I did have a few problems with my FSX install : all was working fine at start but I had multiples crashes to desktop after 10-30 minutes flying, that never occured before. As the settings were untouched (exemple : HIGHMEMFIX=1 in fsx.cfg, an UIAutomation Core.dll in install dir), I had no clues about what was the problem.

I decided to completely uninstall and reinstall FSX and all add-ons from scratch on my new Win 10 system.

Took me a while. The main add-ons that I am using are :

- FSX Gold

- DX10 Scenery Fixer + NVidia Inspector

- Orbix FTX Global + FTX Vectors + FTX Global OpenLC Europe

- REX4 Texture Direct

- Active Sky Next

- Pro ATC-X

- Professional Flight Planner X

- FSCaptain

- EZDok

- Aerosoft Airbus

- PMDG 737, 777/200 & /300

- several payware and freeware large airports

As said, the full reinstall was a lenghty process...

Most/all of the tricks of a good install on others systems were used (HIGHMEMFIX, UIAutomationCore, DX10 SceneryFixer for DX10 Preview, changing several parameters inside fsx.cfg, installing with admin rights and setting FSX.exe with Admin Privileges, ...) but the result was worth it.

I now have a fully functionnal FSX with all add-ons reinstalled and working nicely. I blocked framerate at 30 with high-end AA settings in FSX/DX10Fixer/NVI, and result is very smooth (probably not different from what I had previously on Win 8.1).

Only problem remaining so far : Mouse Wheel zoom is not working correctly or not working at all, depending on which setting I use inside FSX, EZDok, FSUIPC. Still need to work on that, I am not totally sure it is Win 10-related, maybe I fumbled with the settings...

In summary, I am quite happy with FSX on Win 10 so far, no compatibility problem for me.

Chris