Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

I am really trying to like this but -

Please explain how you can move all over the airplane?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

For starters, change the lateral view in settings. I see that my Carenado 206 is 103.28.  You can then use the +/- keys. Num keys, and the up & down/ left & right arrows. I no longer remember all of the methods. I have buttons on my joystick that change views from cockpit to a heads up display only. I'm just at the age, where I no longer care to remember, and write down the methods. But...............it's all possible. That's the good part.

Well I changed lateral view to 100 just to see what happened and it did put me back but gave me a ton of distortion.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

To go back, try holding the comma (,).   It should move you back.  The period (.) moves you forward.  Remember that the TrackIR has a default key F9, F10 or so (I use a button on my yoke) to reset the default position.  

John

John Wingold

Well I changed lateral view to 100 just to see what happened and it did put me back but gave me a ton of distortion.

For reference, I use approximately 90 on a 32" 2560x1440, and it feels (generally) just about right. Play around with it until you get it so it feels good when zoomed out fully.

I find the views and interaction with such to be one of the highlights of the XP platform over FSX.  Take a bit of time to learn about the view system - it is truly wonderful. Basically, it gives you ten view 'slots'. You can configure one keyboard shortcut, or joystick button, to save a view, and another to smoothly pan/move back to that view.  So with a few setup, you end up with this smooth, quick panning between your most used views.  Or, you can look at whatever, press your shortcut button / joystick button to go back to your main view, and then press it again to smoothly go back to looking at whatever you were before.

However, the key to this is finding the proper shortcuts for moving around:  There are one set for pan up / down / left / right, and then another six available to shift right, left, up, down, forward, and back.  You can find them all in your keyboard / joystick assignment screens.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

To go back, try holding the comma (,).   It should move you back.  The period (.) moves you forward.  Remember that the TrackIR has a default key F9, F10 or so (I use a button on my yoke) to reset the default position.  

John

So its similar like i posted on the last page. Good to know that it doesnt change with different keyboard layouts. Also if you hold shift at the same time you can increase the speed of the camera movement. Especially usefull when you want to "walk" around the plane

Thanks, it seems to be a bit like ezdoc for fsx if you know what your are doing. I do like this sim but right now mostly for the details of land objects.

The stock planes are really so so and fs9 looking so I am sure I would have to invest in some payware planes (really fsx stock planes are not that great as well). Also the clouds are strange so I know I would have to get that skyview or skymax for great clouds.

The demo is impressive and I find night flying to be a new experience when looking down on all the detailed lights and cars. In fact I am kicking myself for not buying this during the steam half price sale. 

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

The stock planes are really so so and fs9 looking so I am sure I would have to invest in some payware planes (really fsx stock planes are not that great as well).

There are very good freeware aircraft in terms of cockpit/external detail (though not necessarily with a polished and accurate flight model).

You can search in the file library of x-plane.org or x-pilot.com (the latter is much smaller though), both require registration to download files. Just order their aircraft list by "Most Popular" or "Highest Rated", and you can be sure that you'll find some good quality aircrafts among the ones at the top of the list.

Also, freeware aircrafts at xpfr.org are on average of good quality: http://xpfr.org/?body=aero_accueil

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Thanks I did download some planes but think if I buy this (might have to wait until christmas sale) I will most likely get the PMDG DC6 and some Corenado planes.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Carenado planes for X-Plane usually get very good reviews among users.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yep the X-Plane view system is a real boon, try the Headshake plugin for great head movement effects. If you're a TrackIR user, the best solution is the X-Camera plugin which is like EzDok but much easier to configure.

A great little freeware aircraft is the Eclipse v2 by Harranssor, which is a wee bizjet, great for scooting around admiring the scenery and has a good turn of speed. The author also creates payware under the Aerobask name; not quite Carenado but excellent quality, good value, and great fun.

Oh, and all the above will cost you absolutely nothing / zilch / nada.  :wink:

Enjoy.

Some more freeware suggestions:

C172SP Wide Panel Project - available at the org http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=18737

Despite the 2D panel, this is one of my favorites. Wonderfully in-depth. Then again, I might like it so much because of my 32" 2560x1440... it allows me to see a huge portion of the panel without scrolling.

Mitsubishi Zero A6M21 Fighter Class - available at the org http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=27748

I haven't flown this much, but it's just been made freeware, used to be payware. That said, it's higher quality than some of the payware available.

PA-11 'Cub Special' from Alcalá Simulación - available at the org http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=18018

Really nice, very very basic.

You've already been told about the Eclipse.  There's a few others that are pretty darn good too, just spend some time browsing the aircraft section at the org.

That said, you'll also find that payware, on average, isn't as expensive as it currently is in FSX.  Plus, if you keep an eye on the daily deals section at http://store.x-plane.org/ you can pick up some nice sale items.  There's only about 7 or 8 deals that rotate, once a day, but some are really good depending on your tastes.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Take a look at the manual for a very detailed explanation of all the key bindings, and other obscure things that many people don't know about (including myself).

For scenery, do download HD Mesh v3 and if your computer can handle it (i.e. it has at least 16 GB RAM and 4GB VRAM), the UHD Mesh which is ridiculously detailed. Several of MisterX6's airport packs are very detailed, same goes for ISDG's. There are hundreds, if not thousands more freeware at the x-plane.org website. Also take a look at W2XP (World2XPlane) that uses current OSM data to output scenery packs to your own liking.

For freeware airliners, the x737 project is going strong, and although it only has a 2D panel cockpit, a 3D cockpit is in the making and may be released in a couple months, give or take. 

I myself need to download more scenery - my X-Plane installation looks very bare and empty. Sorry for the hijack - does anyone have recommendations? 

I've mentioned this before, but I grab new scenery that shows up on .org.  I keep a spreadsheet of all installations, with dates, sources, version numbers and filenames, and so far I have over 4,500 airports installed - all freeware.  I pay for planes and have quite a few great aircraft from most of the major authors, but most of the very best scenery is free for doing the work of finding and installing it.