Sign in to follow this  
TooWings

Yet another jet crashes in UK

The planets must be bad at the moment/   Two crashes in two days in the UK....

-----

"A Red Arrows-(type) Hawk jet nose-dives into the ground during a display.......

RiP

The event was apparently hosted by Chris Evans, the future presenter of the BBC's Top Gear motoring programme..

Article and video..

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/01/breaking-plane-crashes-at-carfest-in-cheshire-5322575/

It's a Folland Gnat

Indeed.

I wonder why it fell out of the sky though? ...

"Aviation expert Julian Bray said the type of Gnat plane involved in the crash had been around since 1955.  He said: "They had great ideas for these little aircraft but they didn't quite made it. (sic).  The RAF did use them for training purposes but never for display purposes. They went with another variant. They sold theirs on, mainly.  The Heritage Trust has got some of these and they do these displays."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-33748256

,''The RAF did use them for training purposes but never for display purpose''

Must have imagined seeing the Red Arrows flying them...I guess he is referring to that particular variant of Gnat.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

I saw somewhere on my One M9's blink feed saying that members of Bin Laden's family were on the jet that crashed. Has anyone confirmed this?

I saw somewhere on my One M9's blink feed saying that members of Bin Laden's family were on the jet that crashed. Has anyone confirmed this?

Yes, that's been confirmed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33745057

,''The RAF did use them for training purposes but never for display purpose''

Must have imagined seeing the Red Arrows flying them...I guess he is referring to that particular variant of Gnat.

No, he's just talking out of where such news "experts" normally talk.  All four jets were the T.1 variant, i.e. the RAF/Red Arrows/Yellowjacks variant...

The Red Arrows team used Folland Gnats from 1964 until 1979. The RAF only operated the T1.