Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Still starting FSX with a Default aircraft?

Just wondering if most of you are still firing up FSX with a default aircraft ( Cessna 172, Baron, default 737, or the trike).  Is it still REALLY necessary for proper performance of FSX, or is it a myth?

Stan

I haven't started off with a default aircraft since my last full install of FSX on a new SSD last year. No problems so far even with some fairly complex payware.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It all depends on which aircraft you are then changing to...

If you are not changing aircraft, you can start with the actual plane you are going to fly..

Bert

A2A 182 currently being the one Im flying a lot

ZORAN

If you are not changing aircraft, you can start with the actual plane you are going to fly..

Bert's right on

I still start with default c172

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I start with the default Baron58.  I have it set for cold and dark all switches off with the exception of

the master avionics switch.  That way, when starting a flight, no matter what aircraft I choose, it won't

have any difficulties like having no radios or AP when powered up and ready for flight.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I haven't done this for years.  Doesn't seem to cause any problems.  I also don't restart my computer before simming,  like I used to always do.  

I don't fly tubeliners,  though,  GA and mostly A2A and Realair so I suppose that could be different.

I often don't know when I start up FSX which aircraft I'm going to fly  :p0503: , so I always start with the default 172.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Same as like wot Joel said. :wink:

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

In FSX (to make clear I am not responding to Giancario's post #11), I always start with the Default AirTrike. I suspect that is partly from habit but partly because I usually know immediately where I want to depart from but the decision about where to fly to and in what aircraft is one usually made sequentially, in that order. I figure that I might as well get FSX and the departure airport loading on my computer whilst I think about the other aspects.

Also, I recall the developer of one of my payware add-ons giving instructions to load with a default aircraft first before selecting that particular payware aircraft.

When I switch from one of my add-on aircraft to another, I always go back to the Default Cessna first. The one occasion I can recall not doing that was when I had been flying the Razbam Metroliner, landed and then switched straight to the Aerosoft Twin Otter and found that some of the systems and switches did not work in the Otter. I then switched to the Default Cessna and then back to the Otter and everything worked okay.

Gary

When I switch from one of my add-on aircraft to another, I always go back to the Default Cessna first.

I also load the default 172 when switching between payware aircraft, as I've had the same experience (payware aircraft not working correctly). Sometimes, to be entirely sure that I won't encounter any problems associated with certain payware needing the default startup aircraft, instead of merely switching to the default, I'll shut FSX down entirely and restart. It's time-consuming, I know, but ...

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I load FSX itself with the default Kite in the gui, but change to the aircraft before I actually load the flight! So far no issues. That's with FSX Box and Steam.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

My understanding has been that if you make the aircraft change when you are on the FSX start, or preview screen then there should be no issue.

Despite that, perhaps 75% of my flights are started from the Free Flight preview screen by loading saved flights and executing Fly Now. I take each of my four or five most flown aircraft and save flights with them cold and dark in the same ramp spot at perhaps three to four of the airports that I routinely fly from.

The only time I change aircraft from the cockpit is when I am working on panel mods and switching away from and then back to an aircraft to see the result of changes I have made.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere