Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Still starting FSX with a Default aircraft?

Thans for the input.  Doesn't seem to matter much how we start FSX.  No one seems to have issues either way, really.

Stan

Thans for the input.  Doesn't seem to matter much how we start FSX.  No one seems to have issues either way, really.

Stan

Stan, the issue has never really been about how one starts FSX. The issue is which aircraft one has set as the "default aircraft!"

This is because, as has been stressed time and time again over the past decade or so that whatever aircraft is chosen to be the "default aircraft" will serve as a template for whatever aircraft one actually chooses to load. 1

The "default flight (aircraft)" saved file contains up to 26 additional parameters that are not included in normal saved flight files. As a result, any parameter required for your chosen aircraft that does not have any of those additional parameters will inherit said parameter settings from the default flight.

As a very simple example to prove the point, if the saved "default aircraft" has no avionics switch, then the avionics system will always be loaded in the "off" position. Also, if the "default aircraft" does have an avionics switch and has been saved with avionics "off" (cold and dark), then any aircraft you choose to load that does not have an avionics switch will have no avionics power...

...and no bloody way to turn the avionics power on!

It is not just advanced payware aircraft that may exhibit issues if the "default aircraft flight" is not carefully chosen. A lot of the more complex freeware aircraft can have the same issues.

In short Stan, it is not a "myth" and never has been. It is an easily demonstrable fact.

1 Oddly enough, I seem to have answered this question for you back on December 30, 2009. The answer hasn't changed in the intervening six years:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/270812-fsx-start-up-plane/

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

N4gix, This makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the elaborate explanation. JJ

The "default flight (aircraft)" saved file contains up to 26 additional parameters that are not included in normal saved flight files. As a result, any parameter required for your chosen aircraft that does not have any of those additional parameters will inherit said parameter settings from the default flight.

As a very simple example to prove the point, if the saved "default aircraft" has no avionics switch, then the avionics system will always be loaded in the "off" position. Conversely, if the "default aircraft" does have an avionics switch and has been saved with avionics "off" (cold and dark), then any aircraft you choose to load that does not have an avionics switch will have no avionics power...

Bill,

Could you please elaborate on the above a bit. In the first paragraph, is it your point that the 26 additionally saved parameters with a default flight may modify some of the parameters in the a/c you want to use even if your a/c does not use some of those additional 26 parameters?

And in the first line of the second paragraph, by any chance should it say "....if the saved "default aircraft" has no avionics switch, then the avionics system will always be loaded in the "off"  "on" position"? 

Or am I just confused?   :huh:

Thx much,

Al

Al, I stated that correctly. Any sim variable that is not specifically set in a saved flight file will always default to a NULL (0) or "off" condition. I did however use "Conversely" in error. I've edited that to now read "Also" since it is not an opposing position (converse) but similar (also). :blush:

This is why I recommend that one use a default aircraft that has an avionics switch, and that this switch be left "on" when saving the new default flight. When any aircraft is now loaded that does not have an avionics switch, the power to the avionics will be "on" because this circuit was "on" in the saved default flight! :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

Always with default.

Works well :)

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Al, I stated that correctly. Any sim variable that is not specifically set in a saved flight file will always default to a NULL (0) or "off" condition. I did however use "Conversely" in error. I've edited that to now read "Also" since it is not an opposing position (converse) but similar (also). :blush:

This is why I recommend that one use a default aircraft that has an avionics switch, and that this switch be left "on" when saving the new default flight. When any aircraft is now loaded that does not have an avionics switch, the power to the avionics will be "on" because this circuit was "on" in the saved default flight! :Nerd:

Bill, I understand now. Thanks for your informative insight.

Al

If you are flying the F1 B200 the dev says it is a requirement to start with a default aircraft on the other hand not required for PMDG except when when you want to change to another PMDG aircraft.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Would someone clarify what is being meant by "starting" a default aircraft in this context?; does it mean setting an original aircraft as the default, opening the preview screen, then changing to a different model? or does it mean selecting the designated default aircraft and changing after loading it to the takeoff location?

Also, in context it seems the term "default" is often used to describe one of the original aircraft aircraft that was delivered with the FSX installation, and not an add on. This would be different that referring to the aircraft designated from the installed fleet and designated as the "default." I could designate any add-on aircraft as the default. 

Would someone clarify what is being meant by "starting" a default aircraft in this context?; does it mean setting an original aircraft as the default, opening the preview screen, then changing to a different model? or does it mean selecting the designated default aircraft and changing after loading it to the takeoff location?

In this context, the term is defined as follows:

"Default aircraft" - one which came with the flight simulator, in other words a simple aircraft.

Normally you do not need to actually load the simple, "default aircraft" at all. Simply having it available for the sim to 'read' is sufficient.

Whenever you load any aircraft, the sim first 'reads' the .air and aircraft.cfg files for that aircraft, then 'reads' the "default flight file" to pick up any of the possible 'extra parameters' that are not already obtained from the aircraft being loaded.

This is not really all that complicated and I'm at a loss to explain it any more clearly.

Fr. Bill    

The Coolsky DC-9 requires a default aircraft in the default flight too (there are quite a few devs recommending this actually).

There even is a "safe startup for complex aircraft"  from Flight1, which really is a saved flight with the Trike, that you are supposed to use as the default flight.

LORBY-SI

Whenever you load any aircraft, the sim first 'reads' the .air and aircraft.cfg files for that aircraft, then 'reads' the "default flight file" to pick up any of the possible 'extra parameters' that are not already obtained from the aircraft being loaded.

Bill,

I've looked at the name.FLT file for the default flight (in the Flight Simulator X Files folder) that I think you are talking about, and among all the parameters saved there are some window location and size specifications, such as for the ATC window, and also the green Message Window that typically shows up as a green bar across the top of the screen but can be undocked and moved or resized like the ATC window.  If you do resize the ATC window, FSX "remembers" that the next time you start FSX. But for some reason, FSX does not seem to remember changes for the Message window. I get the same green bar across the top of the screen every time I start FSX. Do you know anyway to get FSX to remember changes in the Message Window like it does for the ATC window?

Thx,

Al 

What I don't understand is why makers of complex add-ons simply don't add a gauge that sets the FSX-internal controls to a certain state during aircraft initialization.

This is one of the easiest tricks in the book and doesn't require a team of NASA-scientists. Just wait till initialization is complete and then set mixture or the avionics switch or whatdoIknow to whatever the add-on requires prior to startup.

In pseudocode, for mixture and avionics:

(Check for initialization completion)
if{ (Initialization routine locking variable) == 0
    if{ (Mixture set to cutoff) == 1
        if{ (>Set Mixture to rich) }
       (Avionics switch) == 0
       if{ (>Set Avionics switch to on) }
       1 (>Initialization routine locking variable) } }

Bam. Mixture set to rich to ensure aircraft start up, avionics switch is on and the code is locked for the current session to avoid interference with other gauge code used by the add-on aircraft.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days