Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Fuel pump sounds too loud

Are there alternative fuel pump sounds so they are more quiet, I should not hear them in the cockpit (at least of a 738 and 739) with the packs running. Thank you - David Lee

Are there alternative fuel pump sounds so they are more quiet, I should not hear them in the cockpit (at least of a 738 and 739) with the packs running. Thank you - David Lee

David,

This is yet another post where you make some claim about what it "should be" yet you make no actual attempt to prove how you should know this. As I've mentioned in a number of other posts, we have a technical team of mechanics, pilots, and other knowledgeable people - all with verified credentials - who help to advise us here. Please, unless you have some sort of verifiable experience, stop making accusations here in the forum.

We haven't just whipped this aircraft together, no matter what you may think.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm just going by what I've read or seen. And as for my last post, I have never seen that sticker on a panel. As for this, I have read pilots saying they do not hear the fuel pump sounds in a loud cockpit. I do not mean any disrespect to the PMDG team. David Lee

I'm just going by what I've read or seen. And as for my last post, I have never seen that sticker on a panel. As for this, I have read pilots saying they do not hear the fuel pump sounds in a loud cockpit. I do not mean any disrespect to the PMDG team. David Lee

Take a moment to reflect on your claim here:

-You came into the forum and made a very direct claim that something is wrong as if you knew that this was an absolute fact.

-Someone else could come into this forum, see your post, and since you didn't state that you weren't a pilot, they (knowing the sim community) would probably assume that you were, given how you stated that something was wrong.

-The then go off and say that they've "read and heard" other people/pilots saying that it is incorrect.

Seeing how you're feeding into potential misinformation here? Without verifying the claims are true from those other people, you assumed that they were correct (and also pilots - sadly a great number of those who claim they are in the sim realm, are not), and then simply repeated it as if it were your educated opinion as well...simply because an unnamed mass of "pilots" of unknown credentials said so.

That's really not the type of information you want to rely on, or take a stand on.

Kyle Rodgers

It could be my setup is incorrect. I have a 5.1 sound system using an optical audio cable. I have sounds set to 100 in the pmdg fmc and fsx menu is default. Maybe that changes things around. I only ask if it is possible to get a more quiet sounding fuel pump because of this. In my setup with engines running and packs full blast I can still hear the fuel pumps.

Just like in the panel sticker topic, I like a setup a certain type. Going by pictures on the internet to configure a panel to a United airline standard. Going by videos and people claiming to be pilots you cannot hear fuel pumps from the cockpit if the packs are on, and the engines too. It does not mean "pmdg are all incorrect" it just means the airline I am modeling it on and my sound setup is different than the pmdg standard.

I have sounds set to 100 in the pmdg fmc and fsx menu is default.

There are sound recommendations in the Intro Manual that will help you get the sounds closest to how we've tuned them for the system.

Going by pictures on the internet to configure a panel to a United airline standard. Going by videos and people claiming to be pilots you cannot hear fuel pumps from the cockpit if the packs are on, and the engines too.

These are both rather poor sources. Pictures on the internet can only get you so much information, and going by videos means you're hearing a likely compressed source (especially if you're watching these videos on YouTube). We record the sounds from the aircraft itself with professional audio equipment.

Kyle Rodgers

There are sound recommendations in the Intro Manual that will help you get the sounds closest to how we've tuned them for the system.

These are both rather poor sources. Pictures on the internet can only get you so much information, and going by videos means you're hearing a likely compressed source (especially if you're watching these videos on YouTube). We record the sounds from the aircraft itself with professional audio equipment.

A bluray has high quality sound though. I have some, one for sas 737's fleet.

Sorry Kyle but i kinda have to agree with the OP. Speaking with real experience on 737NG and CL, that particular sound effect is kinda louder than it needs to be under some circumstances. With packs on, recirculation fans on and the door closed - fuel pumps aren't easily heard running, if at all. I've just learnt to live with it.

The only time that I can remember hearing the pump running at a pronounced sound level (like on the ngx) is when the apu is off and the airplane is on ground power.

Brian Nellis

Well you can download Audacity(a free audio editing software) find the sound file you're not liking and cut it a couple db's. Remember to back up the original file. Kyle you are a much more patient man than I, Kudo's.

David Warner

BetaTeamB.png

I think the sound are excellent on the NGX, if people have comments on the sound, they don't mean disrespect. People do occationally sit oit the flight deck or go on simulator experiences. They have ears, eyes and an opinion.

Are people going off what they hear in a recording or are they hearing the actually sound that would immerse them in a real cockpit?

It is a desktop simulation at the end of the day, I'm sure PMDG have done the best they can with it. It does seem load the pumps, but maybe it is.

I tend to turn the ambient sound down, not because I don't like the sounds, but I can't hear ATC, lols.  That is a 'sim-ism' rather than a realism.  It might that your volume is too load. Try turning the ambiant sound down? to 50 or 40?

I know pmdg pilots love take off and hearing MAX THRUST!!!!!!!!!

Definitely a sim-ism. Can I just say - it is probably a good thing that the sound effect is pronounced; that way you can identify the sound, which means you know what a fuel pump sounds like! PMDG should (but don't and hopefully won't) charge extra for that.

I can tell pmdg spent a hell of a lot of time in getting the sounds recorded, because in the sim they are spot on! There a few sounds that could probably use some working on (stick shaker), but for the most part, for $$ dollars, I'm more than happy!

Brian Nellis

I can't recall ever hearing the fuel pumps in the cockpit.  The only time I ever really notice the sound from the pumps is when I'm in the wheel well during the walk around.

Posted Today, 06:32 AM

I can't recall ever hearing the fuel pumps in the cockpit.  The only time I ever really notice the sound from the pumps is when I'm in the wheel well during the walk around.

Hes the man to know ;)

Vernon Howells

Hes the man to know ;)

One thing to consider, hearing is subjective and not the same for different individuals.  I have spent the last 25 years around jet engines and do not hear high frequencies as well as I used to.  My wife often reminds me that I cannot hear squat, at least when she's talking. :)

My wife often reminds me that I cannot hear squat, at least when she's talking. :)

Tip:  All you need to remember are the last three words she said.

Spending a few decades in a light twin has destroyed my ears. Even the dog leaves the room when I have the TV blasting.

Dan Downs KCRP