Sign in to follow this  
dever23b

Still having problems when a checklist is interrupted

Hello:

So far, I am really enjoying this product and I've still got some more exploring to do.  Great work!

I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere.  I did skim through all of the topics in the Reboot support forum and did not see anything relevant.

Whenever my checklist is interrupted (either because I didn't do something correctly prior to the checklist, or because a FA interrupted us during the checklist), FS2Crew sound completely dies (no PA, no FO, no FA, no sound tests).

I have tried:

• Resetting audio system

• Changing audio device (in FS2Crew config)

• Combining the above two

• "Hold the checklist" before attempting to address the interruption

• "Cancel the checklist" before attempting to address the interruption

• "Restart the checklist" afterward

• "Cancel last command" (hey... it was worth a shot...)

Happens most often: during before-start checklist and landing checklist.

Please let me know if I can provide more information to be of more use; I tried my best to be concise (my first attempt at this post was quite a lengthy novella).

Before start check list is done on 0 mins, on +1 min you get a call from the FA asking about closing the doors, you reply,..... after that is your trigger to call the before start check list.

Don't call it till then and everything should be fine.

When you have final flaps down and green light that's the time to call landing check list again you should not have any problems if called at the right time.

What SOP are you useing?

It's sometimes easy to get out of sync and it can go a stray I've had two crashes from it, so your right it can get itself in a twist sometimes.

Its one of the reason I make my own flows

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Before start check list is done on 0 mins, on +1 min you get a call from the FA asking about closing the doors, you reply,..... after that is your trigger to call the before start check list.

Don't call it till then and everything should be fine.

When you have final flaps down and green light that's the time to call landing check list again you should not have any problems if called at the right time.

What SOP are you useing?

It's sometimes easy to get out of sync and it can go a stray I've had two crashes from it, so your right it can get itself in a twist sometimes.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm currently still trying to master SOP 1; I haven't experimented with the others yet, though I plan to once I get used to it.  Part of my problem with the landing checklist is I got used to the legacy version, where you'd call the landing checklist slightly earlier and it'd pause at "waiting for the flaps" and then conclude once you called for final flaps.  I keep making that mistake on final, and then losing all services until I restart FS.  

And I realize that I could try my best to time checklists around scripted events; however, should I really have to?  Checklist interruption is a reality.  Should the software really completely fail when a checklist is interrupted?  I was simply submitting this as a bug for hopeful fixing, in the idea that perhaps Mr. York may not like the idea of his software failing during events that may realistically happen.  

I will, of course, get better at doing things at the scripted times.  I was just hoping that, in the event I make a mistake, the punishment wasn't a complete failure and inability to use the software.

Just curious: are you able to integrate your custom flows into FS2Crew, or how do you accomplish this in practice?  (Speaking completely uninformed and naive,) It seems like this would conflict with the FS2Crew flows, no?

Your right it should not crash the programe I agree.

I've made a flow for SOP3 please don't try it, it's way way more work than SOP1, master SOP1 before you give it a go

I will get a SOP1 version up hopefully next week, here is a link to my SOP3 to give you idea of what works for me, am just happy to share

http://www.limegallery.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/FS2Crew-SOP3-For-Ryanair.pdf

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Your right it should not crash the programe I agree.

I've made a flow for SOP3 please don't try it, it's way way more work than SOP1, master SOP1 before you give it a go

I will get a SOP1 version up hopefully next week, here is a link to my SOP3 to give you idea of what works for me, am just happy to share

http://www.limegallery.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/FS2Crew-SOP3-For-Ryanair.pdf

Thanks!

I want to add a symptom I didn't previously report, since the program broke on me again on my current flight.

I also attempted to pause a checklist ("hold the checklist") to respond to ATC online.  This also caused the program to break down and I'm again without any sound.

You know, I'm not 100% sure.. I believe I tried "continue the checklist"; I may not have said "resume." However, I found the option to "Reset checklist" in the Audio panel, and I have tried that liberally to no avail. It appears to actually reset the checklist, but it does not unlock the audio.

I also discovered that FS2Crew IS listening to me, so it seems only the audio playback breaks down. After it broke down, I performed the checklist reset and then called for checklists, waited several seconds, then responded with the proper checklist responses. Even though I received no audio feedback, the "mode selector" (Descent/Approach/Landing etc) progressed and the FO continued to react to my commands (flaps, gear, cleanup, etc) and do his flows properly.

I'm done flying for the night, but I will try the "resume the checklist" next time I run into this and get you a solid answer.

If it helps at all, today when I said "hold the checklist," that seemed to kill the audio: the FO never responded to that command, and as I discovered shortly thereafter, all audio from the software stopped working (consistent with my previous experiences). Though I can't confirm whether I've used "resume" with 100% accuracy, I would think that resetting the checklist would (/should) override the pause state?

Try "resume the checklist" and let me know.

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't abandoned this topic; I just haven't reproduced the error yet to attempt this solution.

Notwithstanding, even if this un-pauses the checklist, I just want to re-iterate that all FS2Crew sound is disabled/inop when this happens -- it's not just the FO standing by for you to resume the checklist.  The cabin grew, the PA announcements, and all other FS2Crew sounds also fail. 

Notwithstanding, even if this un-pauses the checklist, I just want to re-iterate that all FS2Crew sound is disabled/inop when this happens -- it's not just the FO standing by for you to resume the checklist.  The cabin grew, the PA announcements, and all other FS2Crew sounds also fail. 

If you lose "all" sound, it's usually because your headset has disconnected, even for a micro second, from your computer.  

Try the "Reset" button on the FS2Crew Audio Panel to force a re-connection.

Or try a new headset.  I prefer USBs.

If you lose "all" sound, it's usually because your headset has disconnected, even for a micro second, from your computer.  

Try the "Reset" button on the FS2Crew Audio Panel to force a re-connection.

Or try a new headset.  I prefer USBs.

Thanks.  I truly don't mean to contradict/argue with you, but, respectfully, I really don't think this is a headset-disconnect issue.  

There really seems to be a definite correlation between the problem and a checklist in progress that gets interrupted.  Notwithstanding, I did try your reset suggestion, as well as a few other things-- please read my original post for a list.

I've encountered headset issues separately and do not intend to merge those with this problem as this really seems to be its own problem, specifically something to do with unexpected input confusing the system resulting in the audio output crashing.  Also, the headset I use emits a notification tone when it looses connection with its host device, so I would know immediately if my headset were not communicating with my computer.  

Also, I did do some experimentation and verification: I confirmed that the headset is indeed working when the FS2Crew audio breaks down.  I tested this by:

• Observing input levels on the device via the Windows (8.1) audio (input) properties dialog as I spoke into the device
  • Issuing commands to FS2Crew, and having them be successfully interpreted and complied with: FS2Crew is still listening, hearing, and performs otherwise normally, except for audio output

For the 2nd bullet to be possible, it seems that a micro-disconnect must be ruled out: if the headset disconnected, FS2Crew wouldn't accept any input from it.  To the contrary, despite getting no audio feedback, FS2Crew continues to listen and comply with commands I issue.  Also, I discovered that I can successfully complete checklists: if I use FS2Crew's "Reset Checklist" option and then call for checklists, then pause for the proper amount of time (to get to the part of the script where it prompts me for input), and eventually say my parts of the checklist, I can successfully complete checklists and trigger the FO to perform his various flows.  So, it can't be a microphone/headset issue-- it would not be possible to activate FS2Crew's voice triggers if my headset were the problem.

Something is triggering FS2Crew's audio output to fail.

Hi Tyler,

FS2Crew's audio input system (voice recognition) and audio output system are totally separate.  They are two very different systems.

Speech input uses Microsoft SAPI and audio output uses Microsoft XACT.

So one can fail and the other will still work.

We've been using the same audio system for a very long time across multiple FS2Crew products.

Based on past experience, what triggers an audio output failure if is the headset disconnects from the computer.

I don't mean to pass the buck, but Reboot has an extremely large user base.  If the problem was code related, I'd be hearing about it 500 times a day from every user.

Are you using a USB headset?

Forgot to mention:

Check your Windows settings:  There's an option somewhere to would result in your USB ports "going to sleep".  It may be in Power Options.  Google it if you can't find it.

You don't want your USB ports going to sleep if you have a USB headset.

Thanks for continuing to reply.

I am using a USB, wireless headset.  

I have disabled the sleeping ports as part of my continuing effort to combat joystick disconnect issues in Windows 8.1.  I have disabled the sleeping ports both system-wide via Advanced Power Settings as well as individually via Device Manager.

I realize that the audio recognition and output are two separate systems.  I was just attempting to head off a question regarding whether my headset was working by explaining my steps to confirm how I (believe I) ruled out my headset as the problem.  If I am getting sound from other applications (including FSX) and FS2Crew is able to receive input from my headset, my thoughts were that it proved that:

• my headset was working properly,
  • my system audio output was working properly, and
  • FS2Crew was communicating with my headset properly (so it hadn't been "micro"-disconnected)

Is my logic wrong?  Are there any other tests I can run?

Perhaps other people aren't getting this problem, if you're not receiving complaints near and far.  Do you have any suggestions on what I could try to avoid this?  I have tried the "Reset Audio System" feature (I wrote a separate post about this), but I don't have much luck with it.

Also, I want to clarify that I'm not attempting to argue with you so I apologize if it comes off that way.  I am simply trying to be detailed, in hopes that you may be able to help me find a resolution.  My goal here is a solution, not to be right.  I do appreciate your time sir

My advice:

1. Upgrade to Windows 10.  It's better than 8 and I read it should solve your dropped joystick issue (I recall).

2. Try not using a Wireless device.  Wireless devices can be finicky, which is why I never use them.  I once tried a wireless keyboard, and it was frustrating experience to the say the least with dropped connections.

A $20 wired USB headset is what I use, and I never have problems.