Sign in to follow this  
kgriz

Graphics card suggestions.

Hello all, 

I would like your opinions on a graphics card for P3D that will best suite my rig. 

My current setup is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @4.0Ghz (NOT willing to overclock)

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290 (NOT X)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3

Power Supply: 800w

The case has got room for a full sized GPU

With P3D I use:

All PMDG's 

Aerosoft A318-A321

Payware scenery for most popular airports (EGLL KJFK CYYZ)

With my current GPU while flying into the airports listed above^ in the Aerosoft A321 I get about 15-20fps. 15-20fps I can deal with, but it is when I step into the PMDG 737 that I get frames in the 10-16fps range.

I have all the drivers for my GPU, and have tweaked P3D (Which has helped some), and I have the latest updates/patches to P3D.  I think it might be time to retire this card. :)

I was thinking something along the lines of an EVGA 970? If there is anyone reading this with this current card that sims on P3D, I would greatly appreciate a response.  I don't really want to go above $450 CAD.

Thanks for your help. 

-Thomas

Thomas, I have almost exactly the same rig as you. I had to upgrade my GPU about 2 months ago as my old GTX660 died. All I could afford was a GTX970 4Gig card and it has made a massive difference.

Go with your budget, but if you can, all I can suggest is make sure it has 4G of RAM.

Good luck

970gtx will get you to your target, and within budget. I recommend EVGA for the warranty/trade up program and the base and boost clocks are very good. I know you said you weren't interested in over clocking, but remember the 4790k was designed to do it, you will see a good fps boost by squeezing it to 4.6+, your mobo has the automatic tools in bios to make it happen. Just sayin'!

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will definitely do more research into the EVGA 970 and I might think about overclocking my 4790k when the warranty on this PC runs out. (I bought it from cyberpower)

I would also like to back EVGA!  Back their warranty better than anyone. Great to deal with.

As for overclocking, I have a 3770K. I started out running it at 4.6ghz but had a few crashes.

Backed it off to around 4.75ghz and it's stable as a rock.

FaxCap

970GTX is definitely the card to go for when on a 'budget', I really love mine. (MSI 970)

But make sure to overclock your processor as FSX/P3D heavilly depend on raw CPU clock cycles.

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

Agree on the 970 ... had great success with it in my test Sim PCs.

Cheers, Rob.

Let me ask you a question.

I have i7-2700k (4.4OC) and 780GTX. Will I see any sufficient benefits (FPS gain specifically) if I switch to 980 series?

Thanks

Another thumbs up for the 970 - best bang for the buck. I've seen some deals on the 980 as well...

Let me ask you a question.

I have i7-2700k (4.4OC) and 780GTX. Will I see any sufficient benefits (FPS gain specifically) if I switch to 980 series?

Thanks

Some but whether or not it is worth the cost is another matter. Each system is different. If you must change, I'd go with the 970 - better price/performance.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Some but whether or not it is worth the cost is another matter. Each system is different. If you must change, I'd go with the 970 - better price/performance.

Vic

Thanks for the suggestion Vic.