Sign in to follow this  
JNS

Very frustrated! Really liked P3D until now.

Well, Carlito, every time I tried to delete an axis it would still be there when I reloaded P3D.  That led me to believe that changes simply weren't being saved  (back to the original issue). 

Well, I think I found the problem and fixed it, but I'm not really sure if it's the proper way to do it.  I went to the Standard.xml file and unchecked "Read Only" in Properties.  That seemed to take care of it. 

Also, when I went to export the controller settings it asked me where I wanted to save the exported file.  I pointed to the Standard.xml file and then I was asked if I wanted to overwrite it.  I didn't do anything at that point because I wasn't sure.  Maybe it should be saved in the Controls folder instead.  Please let me know where to save the exported controller file.

Thank you very much for the help.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Mine is saved in the Documents folder as bob4.XML

I went to the Standard.xml file and unchecked "Read Only" in Properties. 

Standard.xml file is never set to "Read Only" ... only time I've seen that is if P3D was copied from a BD or DVDs which LM don't distribute?

Rob.

Thanks for jumping in, Rob.   Yes, once I learned what the Standard.xml file was used for I thought it was strange that it was marked "Read Only".  Oh, and what about the Standard.xmlx file?  Should I uncheck "Read Only" on that one, too?  Judging by what I'm seeing in that file I'm thinking it should NOT be "Read Only". 

I just saw this posted by someone in another forum:  "Go into Appdata/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/Preper3d/Controls, make a folder called safe or vault, move the file Standard.XMLX into this folder. That will leave you with Standard.XML which you can change in sim and it stays changed. For some reason they left a file that will reset control back to a set configuration unless you save a specific aircraft with a specific setup."     Does that sound reasonable to you?

My P3D was a download directly from LM on July 31.  BTW, was "BD" in your post for "bad download"?  Just guessing.

Onebob, thanks for the "save" location tip.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

BD (Blu-Ray Disk) ... it sure sounds you have some user permission issue.

When you installed from the downloaded file from your LM account, did you extract the zip file first before attempting to run the setup.exe (installer)?

There should be Nothing in any of the primary Prepar3D directories (list below) that are set to Read Only.

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

I'd recommend you uninstall and re-install (on your extracted .zip not from within the zip) ... if necessary do a "Run as Administrator" on the Setup.exe.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks, Rob. I think I extract the zip, but maybe not.   I had considered doing a re-install, but was trying to avoid it if possible.  It seems like things may be working OK  now and I will check those locations for any more "Read Only" files that need to be changed.  BTW, when you installed P3D did you have UAC on or off?  And if it was off did you then leave it off after the install?  Maybe that's a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.  :)

Thanks very much for your help with this.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

I use all CH Products hardware. A few things to remember if you are not using FSUIPC, like me:

1 - Map all of your buttons in the CH Manager and save the map.

2 - Load the map before launching the sim.

3 - Launch sim and assign all of the buttons in P3D.

4 - Enjoy the fine hardware.

5 - You must open the saved map the CH Manager, and click the DOWNLOAD button before launching the sim. You must do it again if you reboot the computer. Every time.

Good luck finding a solution.

BTW, when you installed P3D did you have UAC on or off?

UAC is never really "off" ... but I have it set to minimal level.  But again, if you have lots of files flagged as Real Only when they shouldn't be, you will probably run into more problems down the road.

Cheers, Rob.

That's my thinking now so I will uninstall and reinstall.  I looked and apparently I did not extract for some reason.  Not much of a size difference, but probably some important files are missing.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

I looked and apparently I did not extract for some reason.

That's probably your issue as the files will be flagged read only from within a Zip ... extract the Zip first then "run as admin" the Setup.exe.  Never install a product from within the Zip.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, I did the reinstall and that did the trick. No "Read Only" checkmarks on the previous "in-question" files. 

I had a little scare when I went to set button assignments.  The first time they didn't store, but then for some reason the second time I tried everything went fine and has been since.

Thanks a lot for you help.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

I did the reinstall and that did the trick. No "Read Only" checkmarks on the previous "in-question" files.

Hi Jeff, glad it worked out and thanks for reporting back as this info could help others with a similar issue.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm guessing the others that I've read about with this problem may have made the same "extracting" mistake I did.  Was just reading your comments on My Traffic 6 for P3D.  Think I'll purchase.  I have UT2 on FSX, but don't want to go through the hassle of making it work in P3D.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Smith