Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

OOM errors revisited

The issue I'm having lately is that the OOM is happening very quickly after the flight initially loads

Ouch! Maybe there is one bgl file in one scenery folder that has gone bad. I think you are on right track, turn off sceneries until problem is solved.  Be sure you are using something like Process Explorer to measure your VAS loads (or even the FSUIPC logger).

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes,

I have been very careful with VAS and overall settings in FS2004/FSX/P3D since day one and I finally reached some balance in P3D when I can fly no worrying about VAS (assuming constant saves before T/D), however PMDGT7 + EGLL combo (either UK2000 or Aerosoft) = OOM within 20 minutes after initial load. I checked for everything - doubld bgl, ADE, corrupted texture files. Nothing wrong. Seems like a bad area for PMDG T7. PMDG NGX or Aerosoft AB both work well. Those additional 400-600MB of extra VAS used (over NGX and AS AB) for T7 is the problem. 

Not blaming anyone as I understand the natural limitations.

Ouch! Maybe there is one bgl file in one scenery folder that has gone bad. I think you are on right track, turn off sceneries until problem is solved.  Be sure you are using something like Process Explorer to measure your VAS loads (or even the FSUIPC logger).

I have paid version of FSUIPC but I see nothing in the menu about a VAS logger.  Where is it? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have sat for 30 minutes with no changes in the scenery other than the clouds rolling by slowly and have noticed VAS just bleeding off bit by bit.    Surely if everything has loaded in the area and nothing new is being introduced to the area you would think the VAS would remain constant but it does in fact bleed, at least on my system.    It's a very slow bleed but it does bleed.   I typically land at my destination without having to save and reload anything though with AI on with about 500 megs left of memory which is enough to avoid hearing Dings from FSUIPC.    It would be nice of P3D would let things go more efficiently and would certainly be nice if the VAS wasn't bleeding for appears to be no reason I can see in the visual area.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

lets face it PMDG we hope have learnt the VAS lesson for their coming 747.

would be a shame to see shiny new pmdg 747 that eats all VAS and leaves no room for addons.

Maybe its time to lower some of that pmdg complexity vas use to gain more room for addons, cause ill gladly give up my pmdg if it means I cant use other add-ons without oom

As has been mentioned multiple times the biggest vas culprit is PMDG products.

I wonder for how long this issue will be a discussion...

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I wonder for how long this issue will be a discussion...

As long as there is someone frustrated enough with OOM's with enough bother to understand why it is happening, it will always be a discussion. My issue is not that I have OOM's. My issue is that they have appeared overnight, and I don't know why (well, I do know why, but not why I'm experiencing a sudden change). I have had a like for like setup for years, and OOM's have only recently started happening.

Sitting on the stand at Aerosoft's EGLL with the PMDG 777, REX clouds, Orbx Global, EZDOK and Track IR.....I have almost £350/$500 of software /hardware invested here.....that alone is worth the discussion.

Out of interest, has anyone disabled the external visual model for the 777? If so, has it made any difference?

I have paid version of FSUIPC but I see nothing in the menu about a VAS logger.  Where is it? 

See the PMDG 777 Introduction pp 29-30. You can use the Process Explorer for many tasks including setting the affinity mask for any running process. The FSUIPC tool is very handy in that it puts a number right in front of you all the time.

As far as blaming PMDG 777 goes.... the product uses about 800 MB of VAS. Period.  Nobody ######es about their beautiful scenery, it must always be the airplane because other airplanes don't have  this problem, so the argument goes.  PMDG is aware of this perception and has five pages in the B777 Introduction on the topic.  There was one problem identified early this year that took months of testing to isolate and fix. It's been fixed.  There's been plenty of finger pointing but so far no one has come forward with data to support their arguments like happened early this year. There was a group that banded together to prove there was another problem but they suddenly got quiet.

Anybody is welcome to present data supporting the argument that the PMDG 777 Product is the sole cause for OOM errors. I look forward to seeing something substantive.

Dan Downs KCRP

As far as blaming PMDG 777 goes.... the product uses about 800 MB of VAS. Period.  Nobody ######es about their beautiful scenery, it must always be the airplane because other airplanes don't have  this problem, so the argument goes

Dan

I don't think anyone is 'blaming' the 777.  As a premium line product, i think it is generally accepted that the cost of VAS is high.  

Dan,

Obviously it's not a cause, it's merely a BIGGEST contributor into equation.

Here is the situation...default UK2000, P3D and F22. No autogen, LOD 6.5, 1024 textures, REX with 512 clouds,  Turning FSUIPS VAS monitor ON and see...

1) VAS Remained (VAS-R) = 2.4GB

2) Adding UK2000 EGLL + 100% AI (FAIB, AIA, TFS, all textures are DDS with mips + manually validated) VAS-R = 1.9 GB

3) Adding UTX Europe 2.1 without autogen = 1.6GB

4) Now adding Aerosoft Airbus = 1.1 - 1.2GB ans stable

5) Exiting P3D, the same scenario as with steps 1-3m, but adding NGX instead and we have 900M-1GB of VAS left and it's stable.

6) Finally...exiting P3D again and loading T7+ FS2Crew. Now I have 550-600Mb left and after I made 3 or 4 head 360 degrees turns, VAS-R comes down to 350, then 250, then FSUIPS starts to alert and then...caboom, i.e. OOM.

Thus, 800GB of VAS usage in P3D environment it's about 50% of available VAS. And yes, T7 is the biggest VAS sucker literally. I don't know what you cook now with 747, but I'm afraid that I will abstain from purchase at least until I see positive reports ob VAS.

That's true, after you load all your scenery, the 800 MB that the PMDG 777 likes to have is the straw that breaks the camels back. I see the same thing with Aerosoft's Anchorage. I have to save/reload at TOC to keep flying... but is it Aerosoft or PMDG causing the problem. Moot question. Like I said, you have a budget and you spend it how you want.

Dan Downs KCRP

Pull your Sliders to the left, and enjoy the most complex simulation ever, but don't look out the window, it will have to 1D scenery.

Personally I think the T7 needs VAS reduction rework, before a 747. Cause its a very expensive bird many cant currently use, cause the scenery trade-off leaves you  with fs2004 graphics in P3D and no oom if you lucky.

Had T7 in FSX with 20/30 sliders, and eventually gave-up cause 95% flights ended with OOM on  approach or landing, and its worse in P3D i hear , sometimes it feels more like a VAS leak rather than static allocation issue drip drip never stops till that fat lady sings.

Its right to say budget issue, but I recall when I convinced myself of this I turned sliders down, I then noticed it was more like a VAS leakage, So even if you make a good budget by turning your scenery low I still had issues by approach, landing after long Haul

So I think its more of a leakage that is almost impossible to budget for, atleast on my system

Its relative to time, and longer your flight , the more save loads you have to do.

I suppose the old FSX engine is now getting to cranky for devs and users.

An extra note for OP on something to try.

When in doubt, never trust those saved flights, epically flights saved before a new p3d.cfg.

now I tend to get  rid of saved flights with any cfg refresh.

Dan,

Obviously it's not a cause, it's merely a BIGGEST contributor into equation.

Here is the situation...default UK2000, P3D and F22. No autogen, LOD 6.5, 1024 textures, REX with 512 clouds,  Turning FSUIPS VAS monitor ON and see...

1) VAS Remained (VAS-R) = 2.4GB

2) Adding UK2000 EGLL + 100% AI (FAIB, AIA, TFS, all textures are DDS with mips + manually validated) VAS-R = 1.9 GB

3) Adding UTX Europe 2.1 without autogen = 1.6GB

4) Now adding Aerosoft Airbus = 1.1 - 1.2GB ans stable

5) Exiting P3D, the same scenario as with steps 1-3m, but adding NGX instead and we have 900M-1GB of VAS left and it's stable.

6) Finally...exiting P3D again and loading T7+ FS2Crew. Now I have 550-600Mb left and after I made 3 or 4 head 360 degrees turns, VAS-R comes down to 350, then 250, then FSUIPS starts to alert and then...caboom, i.e. OOM.

Thus, 800GB of VAS usage in P3D environment it's about 50% of available VAS. And yes, T7 is the biggest VAS sucker literally. I don't know what you cook now with 747, but I'm afraid that I will abstain from purchase at least until I see positive reports ob VAS.

Might be something else here going with this amount of remaining VAS. When I start at UK2K EGLL in the PMDG T7 I have 1.2 Gb free VAS. And it stays about that amount until departure. On the return flight from SEA, although I get the FSUIPC ding I can still park the T7, deboard with GSX and quit the Sim normally.

I don't use Fs2Crew, maybe that makes the difference?

Otherwise I can only suggest to lower some sliders (autogen), 1024 max. texture, no sound caching and no other add-on scenery in the vicinity actve.

Might be something else here going with this amount of remaining VAS. When I start at UK2K EGLL in the PMDG T7 I have 1.2 Gb free VAS. And it stays about that amount until departure. On the return flight from SEA, although I get the FSUIPC ding I can still park the T7, deboard with GSX and quit the Sim normally.

I don't use Fs2Crew, maybe that makes the difference?

Otherwise I can only suggest to lower some sliders (autogen), 1024 max. texture, no sound caching and no other add-on scenery in the vicinity actve.

Nope, FS2Crew has almost zero impact on T7 while RAAS has.

What other addons you use together with UK2000. Do you use AI traffic, UTX, FS Global?

Try with LOD at 4.5 and start from there.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0