Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

OOM errors revisited

Has there been any further development on OOM management/prevention?  After a month away from flightsim, I'm going to fire P3D up again and see how things go.  

Out of interest, what VAS utilities are people using to monitor this, if at all?

I posted a thread about this on Avsim just now about a  discussion on Facebook yesterday, where a few users tried this program and it ended the OOMs they were getting on every flight. I don't get OOMs at all, but I downloaded the program and like the features and the basic program is free to try, easy to install, and gives you a ton of information on what your CPU and memory is doing. It even has a gaming mode and "memory trimmer".  https://bitsum.com/processlasso/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hi Bob I remember reading about this a few months back when it hit the Avsim forum pages. From what I recall, it got a lukewarm reception from PC gurus. But frankly, I'm willing to try it. It can't be worse than the frequent OOM's I have been getting with P3D lately. I am still perplexed as to how I went from a stable, frequent use, no OOM state to one where I was constantly getting OOM's before even getting off the ground in a like-for-like scenario.

I see that this utility has something called 'Virtual Memory Trim Automation'. Does anyone know what that does?

I have a question on this I find puzzling. If FSX for example is limited to approximately 4Gb of memory, how are some people plagued by this and others not? I've seen folks using worldwide detailed scenery and photo real texturing, yet I cannot complete a fourteen hour flight without the memory warning followed shortly after by the OOM, usually on approach. If this is an actual limitation of the software, how isn't every Flightbeam, FS dream team, REX, FS global, PMDG user not effected by this.

VR

Todd

ATP MEL

Commercial SEL

B-747, BE-300, BE-400, DHC8, ERJ 170/190, MU-300

C-17A Globemaster III

hontzt, on 03 Aug 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

I have a question on this I find puzzling. If FSX for example is limited to approximately 4Gb of memory, how are some people plagued by this and others not? I've seen folks using worldwide detailed scenery and photo real texturing, yet I cannot complete a fourteen hour flight without the memory warning followed shortly after by the OOM, usually on approach. If this is an actual limitation of the software, how isn't every Flightbeam, FS dream team, REX, FS global, PMDG user not effected by this.

VR

Todd

Todd, I'm as perplexed as you are on this one. I've been simming for 16 years and have literally never had any OOM issues until 2 months ago. It seems to happen when using a PMDG aircraft and addon sceneries , so lots of memory load there, but still, it doesn't explain the a complete change in my system now not being able to cope with it suddenly. This can only mean that something in my setup has changed which is causing this and I'll be damned if I know what it is. I have also tried subsequent fresh installs of 2.4 and 2.5 with the same result. I'm thinking about a fresh W7 install, but honestly I don't have the motivation to deal with that right now ...especially if I'm not sure it'll change anything.  

Todd, I'm as perplexed as you are on this one. I've been simming for 16 years and have literally never had any OOM issues until 2 months ago. It seems to happen when using a PMDG aircraft and addon sceneries , so lots of memory load there, but still, it doesn't explain the a complete change in my system now not being able to cope with it suddenly. This can only mean that something in my setup has changed which is causing this and I'll be damned if I know what it is. I have also tried subsequent fresh installs of 2.4 and 2.5 with the same result. I'm thinking about a fresh W7 install, but honestly I don't have the motivation to deal with that right now ...especially if I'm not sure it'll change anything.  

I was reading yesterday on a forum about Chrome, that sometimes it uses large amounts of memory. Maybe when another program updates like a browser, this is what changes. One thing I like about this process lasso, is it shows you real time, how much memory is being used by each program that is running. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

One thing I like about this process lasso, is it shows you real time, how much memory is being used by each program that is running. 

Memory as in RAM or memory as in VAS?  

Wow, amazing how much attention this program is getting, not too dissimilar to FiberAccelerator, which came out not too long ago.  I went out and bit the bullet, purchased it to see if it would make a difference with FSX.  Turns out it really didn't work at all and $24 down the drain.  I DID however, find the cure for my FSX issues though and it's WELL worth it:  move to P3D.  :lol:

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Wow, amazing how much attention this program is getting, not too dissimilar to FiberAccelerator, which came out not too long ago.  I went out and bit the bullet, purchased it to see if it would make a difference with FSX.  Turns out it really didn't work at all and $24 down the drain.  I DID however, find the cure for my FSX issues though and it's WELL worth it:  move to P3D.  :lol:

-Jim

Right now I'm finding P3D to be a bigger pain than FSX ever was.  It's better,smoother, prettier and more efficient, but ...  

Right now I'm finding P3D to be a bigger pain than FSX ever was.  It's better,smoother, prettier and more efficient, but ...  

Just read an article from PMDG on OOMs and they attribute most of  the problem to add ons like photo real scenery as well as some of the graphics settings. I learned that lesson years ago with FS9 and FSX and decided that 10 FPS was not worth seeing photo real scenery of an area or airport. I never bought any of that when I switched to P3D, and I think that is the main reason I don't have any OOMs at all.  

I recently  started to use  https://bitsum.com/processlasso/. Yesterday I made my  first  7 Hours flight with out OOM  with Bitsum Processor on. I also lowered  my FPS to magic number 20 . Also lower  some sliders  .

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

I recently  started to use  https://bitsum.com/processlasso/. Yesterday I made my  first  7 Hours flight with out OOM  with Bitsum Processor on. I also lowered  my FPS to magic number 20 . Also lower  some sliders  .

And that is what I read from several different people on facebook yesterday,  which Is why I posted a thread about this , this morning on this forum. hey if I had OOMs, and had tried all suggestions to no avail, I would certainly give this free program a try. It certainly can't make things worse. 

And that is what I read from several different people on facebook yesterday,  which Is why I posted a thread about this , this morning on this forum. hey if I had OOMs, and had tried all suggestions to no avail, I would certainly give this free program a try. It certainly can't make things worse. 

Well, I will certainly give it a try and see what happens.  I'll report back.

There's no hidden magic behind managing VAS, but if you are not managing it then you will have problems. Just like a typical household budget, you only have so much to spend if debt is not allowed.

All photoreal scenery loads, used or not, so watch out for add on sceneries like Aerosoft and FlyTampa that like to add lots of photoreal scenery. I like them and use them but only get turned on when I am using them.  I have found that adjusting textures and most sliders has no measurable effect.  Water effects do hit. My clouds are DXT5 textures from REX Soft Clouds with HDR and look stunning and do not seem to hit VAS very hard but they do cost something out of the budget.

I use Process Explorer to manage my system, but also the FSUIPC logger display of remaining VAS on the Window bar is a must have for me.  My typical PMDG 777 flight will almost always have a save/load point where I set my aircraft to HDG and ALT modes and at least a few minutes before the next waypoint (usually 40 nm before TOD unless I have more than 1GB VAS remaining) I save the flight. Exit P3D. Restart P3D and load the saved flight. I will see typical VAS remaining numbers increase from 700MB to 1600MB and the rest of the flight is uneventful.  It takes longer to type what I do than it takes to actually do it. I choose to use my VAS budget on nice scenery, all the Orbx FTX stuff, lots or airports, nice PMDG airplanes and for this I have to do a save/load cycle. No big deal.

Dan Downs KCRP

There's no hidden magic behind managing VAS, but if you are not managing it then you will have problems. Just like a typical household budget, you only have so much to spend if debt is not allowed.

All photoreal scenery loads, used or not, so watch out for add on sceneries like Aerosoft and FlyTampa that like to add lots of photoreal scenery. I like them and use them but only get turned on when I am using them.  I have found that adjusting textures and most sliders has no measurable effect.  Water effects do hit. My clouds are DXT5 textures from REX Soft Clouds with HDR and look stunning and do not seem to hit VAS very hard but they do cost something out of the budget.

I use Process Explorer to manage my system, but also the FSUIPC logger display of remaining VAS on the Window bar is a must have for me.  My typical PMDG 777 flight will almost always have a save/load point where I set my aircraft to HDG and ALT modes and at least a few minutes before the next waypoint (usually 40 nm before TOD unless I have more than 1GB VAS remaining) I save the flight. Exit P3D. Restart P3D and load the saved flight. I will see typical VAS remaining numbers increase from 700MB to 1600MB and the rest of the flight is uneventful.  It takes longer to type what I do than it takes to actually do it. I choose to use my VAS budget on nice scenery, all the Orbx FTX stuff, lots or airports, nice PMDG airplanes and for this I have to do a save/load cycle. No big deal.

Dan, I've used the practice of saving and reloading flights for many years.  The issue I'm having lately is that the OOM is happening very quickly after the flight initially loads (on stand at EGLL in a PMDG aircraft) - sometimes with no AI.    I will try disabling addon airports in the area which I am not using (Gatwick, Stansted) and see what happens.