Sign in to follow this  
Augustin320214

P3D affinity mask?

Hello there!

I have a question about affinity mask. I tested prepar3d with AM of 14 like everyone recommends with an I5 and it was buttersmooth for the whole flight. Except one thing. When I took off the textures were fine but after a few miles the textures are blurry and the autogen stops loading and it stays like this unless I pause the sim for a very long time just to have it return after a few miles... I then tried an AM of 15 and it seemed OK but I experienced some stutters here and there and the experience wasn't so smooth anymore :( I would like to know what I have to do to keep an AM of 14 but to get rid of the "blurries" problem.

My system isn't the best for simming (yes it's a laptop, don't tell me to get a desktop, already saving up for 1), but with an AM of 14 and the cfg wich you find below, I can achieve a solid 30FPS with ASN and the aerosoft airbus and rex soft clouds.

I5 4200M

GTX 760M

500GB HDD

Windows 8 64-bit

CFG:

http://pastebin.com/dmXi2met

Thanks in advance!

A lot of unofficial and potentially troublesome mods to that .cfg. 

Why not try a fresh one ? You shouldn't even need an AM setting with that rig.

The i5-4200M is a dual core processor with hyperthreading. HT is recommended, so with HT enabled you have 4 logical processors. However, you will want the first P3D thread to use a core to itself so the recommended AM=14=(11,10) moves the second P3D thread onto the next core. With HT=Off don't use an AM.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I for one vote to elect someone to set the record straight.  I am now seeing an influx of people claiming that AM helps the sim.  I have yet to use it, but at the same time, I haven't found a need to.  No OOMs (yet and I pray I don't).  Part of the reason I switched from FSX to P3D was to avoid the excess tweaks in FSX but now I see folks with Bufferpools and AffinityMask being used...doesn't seem right to me, but then again, what the heck do I know.

Signed,

Confused beyond belief

(Jim)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

We are talking about the AM, not 'tweaking'. If you have HT enabled then you need an AM with P3D and FSX. However FSX-SE manages itself on an HT enabled CPU. Notice I refer to HT enabled.

Have a look at more than 8% throughput lost with no AM (in the lower half image) to the main P3D thread on an HT enabled 6 core. In the upper half image the CPU has kept the companion LP7 clear to LP6 running the main thread on core 3 (core 0, LP 0 top lefts):

AM3392AM0.jpg

In the lower half LP0 (top left) runs the main P3D thread and a second P3D thread is present on LP1 (to its right). Both on core 0 sharing the total throughput capability of the core.

So, I'm running an i7 5930k with HT enabled... what is the recommended AM?

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

The recommendation is that the AM should help the first P3D thread to lunch on its own core. So with an i7 5930k = 6 core 12LP, an AM of 1016=(00,11,11,11,10,00) would provide an ample 4 of the 6 cores, with one of those masked (LP 2), to move the second P3D thread onto core 2 (core 0 is represented with the rightmost pair of zeros). For all 6 cores try 4094=(11,11,11,11,11,10).

An AM of 244 is good for a 4 core with HP enabled?

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

244=(11,11,01,00) so it's providing three cores with the first available having one LP masked, it's a good AM for a 4 core HT=0n.

The recommendation is that the AM should help the first P3D thread to lunch on its own core. So with an i7 5930k = 6 core 12LP, an AM of 1016=(00,11,11,11,10,00) would provide an ample 4 of the 6 cores, with one of those masked (LP 2), to move the second P3D thread onto core 2 (core 0 is represented with the rightmost pair of zeros). For all 6 cores try 4094=(11,11,11,11,11,10).

Excellent... thanks, Steve.  I'll give that a shot tonight and see how it goes.  I really have nothing to complain about right now as P3D runs exceptionally smooth and stable on my machine.  Not sure what I might notice after modifying this cfg setting, but we'll see.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Not much, but every little helps!

Exactly!  :lol:

Doug Miannay

Going back to the image the lower half shows the main thread sharing a core with AM=0, and the main thread with a core to itself above. Masking only reduces the number of LPs. The main and secondary threads of P3D invoke upward of 40 threads, as it utilises various resources on the system. These also work within the core affinity of the application. Those interested can check out FSX-SE as it avoids running secondary threads on the same core as the primary sim thread in an HT enabled system, yet leaves the CPU unmasked with an AM=0.

I have an i7-4790K with HT.  I have tried the various recommendations and came to the conclusion, that for my setup, the best solution is no Affinity Mask setting and allow P3D to manage the threads.  I do monitor with Process Explorer and get good results by excluding ASN process from core 0 but the advantage is subtle and I often forget to do it.  (FSX is a whole different story)

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,

also have an i7-4790K with HT=on.

I use AM = 253 (11111101) in P3D.cfg (just to mask the LP 1 of the first physical core - so the main thread can make full use of it)

Then I set the affinity mask for (almost) all other processes running in the background, to get them off the physical core 0 (they use cores 2-7). I use Process Lasso for that purpose.

This gives me a really fluid sim, because P3D can make full use if the first core without interruptions. The other cores are never at 100% and can serve all the other threads easily.

Thanks to Steve for pointing me in the right direction :smile:

Marc Weber