Sign in to follow this  
Augustin320214

P3D affinity mask?

We are talking about the AM, not 'tweaking'. If you have HT enabled then you need an AM with P3D and FSX.

Steve, as your in a giving mode could i be as cheeky and ask what mine is.   I fly P3D I have an i7-3930k 3.2 clocked up to 4, with HT on so ive got 12 running cores.  I tried working out what it was before and i think i ended up with nearly 8 thousand and something  

Remember that the overall setup of the sim can possibly mean that a % improvement available in the main thread throughput may not necessarily allow the sim to perform better, why the does-nothing/improves-everything arguments start.

I would try 1016=(00,11,11,11,10,00), how things work out finally depends on what's running before and after but everythings got a good chance to flow with an AM equating to 4 HT enabled cores with the first LP masked.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

In the top half image above, although it shows around 8% up on throughput, was only 3% up on fps. However, an fps graph showed less chopping as the scenery changed, producing a shorter line overall.

Great Steve, thank you.  I was just looking in my Prepar3d.cfg file,  do i just pop it on the top somewhere and save,  or do i put it in a specific position in the list 

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=1016 

That's it, anywhere will do as long as it's not mid way into another section - make it the top slot is easy.

Also sometimes if P3D does not like its location the edit will be re-located in cfg file automatically 

Rich Sennett

The i5-4200M is a dual core processor with hyperthreading. HT is recommended, so with HT enabled you have 4 logical processors. However, you will want the first P3D thread to use a core to itself so the recommended AM=14=(11,10) moves the second P3D thread onto the next core. With HT=Off don't use an AM.

So what AM should I set now? My HT is on so...

BTW, thanks for all the replies!

If you have four core cpu then 84 should do it

Rich Sennett

If you have four core cpu then 84 should do it

I have dual core with hyperthreading (4 logical threads)

I have dual core with hyperthreading (4 logical threads)

Not much you can do other than AM=14 or AM=0.

Not much you can do other than AM=14 or AM=0.

This may sound stupid, but what does AM=0 actually do?

Ok thank you Steve,  i tried both and yes i can see the weight shifting from core 1 around to the different cores,  early stages yet,  i will report back.  Thank you :rolleyes:  

Augustin320214, on 03 Aug 2015 - 8:08 PM, said:

This may sound stupid, but what does AM=0 actually do?

Good question. It means setting all the bits representing all the cores/LPs to one (1) in the AM. So if you have 2 cores AM=0 same as AM=3=(11), for 2 cores HT=On=4LPs AM=0 same as AM=15=(11,11), for 6 core HT=On=12 LPs AM=0 same as AM=4095=(11,11,11,11,11,11). So it's the default all cores on value no matter how many cores/LPs.

Good question. It means setting all the bits representing all the cores/LPs to one (1) in the AM. So if you have 2 cores AM=0 same as AM=3=(11), for 2 cores HT=On=4LPs AM=0 same as AM=15=(11,11), for 6 core HT=On=12 LPs AM=0 same as AM=4095=(11,11,11,11,11,11). So it's the default all cores on value no matter how many cores/LPs.

Ok thanks for your help, I'm using AM=15 now and the stutter is actually not that bad, I was just wondering why AM=14 is VERY smooth (15 is NORMAL smooth) and why my ground textures load so slowly with AM=14.