Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I just cancelled my W10 reservation....

Just read that M.S. has a really big catch to this 'free' roll out offer.  You only have one month (30 days) to decide to keep it, or roll back. From M.S....they de-activate your W7 or W8 key on the 31 day of W10 upgrade usage, and that you can NOT roll back to your prior W7 or W8 O.S.,  no matter that you might have an image of your prior O.S.

It appears, that M.S. deactivates (this concern has been dodged by M.S. in a direct answer) your key, after tying it into your W10 installation, and will NOT reactivate your prior O.S. past 30 days. That is the price for getting a 'free' upgrade. Aparently, this upgrade has serious strings to the flight sim enthusiast.

I have a perfectly working W7 Ultimate that runs every part of my flight sim puzzle...and that is good enough for me. 

I'll sticky tag the last week you can jump in for free, after I see that every bump in the road has been smoothed, or that I see that the road is still rocky a year from now...and will pass, like so many others on this forum:

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/11110-rolling-back-windows-10-your-older-os-appears-problematic.html

Full W10 Forum link:

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-forums/

...I have decided to stick with a guaranteed experience to run all my programs, that I can have full control of all driver files, and if I really...really, have a need to run with W10...will purchase it if I do not decide in the 360 day upgrade offer. 

Right now...forget it. Too many strings....dead roll-backs past 30 days, and loss of video driver download and installation control.

Whoa dude, thanks for the heads up!  I have thankfully put off installing W10, possibly because after refreshing my machine a couple of weeks ago, Windows Update still hadn't installed one of the essential KBB files which in turn, notifies of the W10 upgrade/install.  I will quietly stay out of view of the Eye of Microsoft and hopefully can avoid any install of W10 for a while until things get sorted out.  I may still wait until July 28th, 2016 to decide. :)

That is a pretty sucky string they have attached.  So basically, you can testdrive W10 for 30 days and in that time you have to decide if it's worth keeping or not, but here's another question, if you install it, decide to rollback within 30 days, can you re-download it later, within the one year and still take advantage of the free upgrade or will they make you pay after you used up your free upgrade in the first place?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Whoa dude, thanks for the heads up!  I have thankfully put off installing W10, possibly because after refreshing my machine a couple of weeks ago, Windows Update still hadn't installed one of the essential KBB files which in turn, notifies of the W10 upgrade/install.  I will quietly stay out of view of the Eye of Microsoft and hopefully can avoid any install of W10 for a while until things get sorted out.  I may still wait until July 28th, 2016 to decide. :)

That is a pretty sucky string they have attached.  So basically, you can testdrive W10 for 30 days and in that time you have to decide if it's worth keeping or not, but here's another question, if you install it, decide to rollback within 30 days, can you re-download it later, within the one year and still take advantage of the free upgrade or will they make you pay after you used up your free upgrade in the first place?

-Jim

Not sure about that...but others have used it for a  week or so...and have rolled back (as they can before 30 days) to their previous O.S.  Whether you can re-apply back to W10...I'd have to say that M.S. WANTS you on it...so they would most encourage that. Like you, I will sit on W7  until let's say July 27,2016, and just keep monitoring early adopter's usage reports.  I really like my W7 Ultimate installation, so who knows...perhaps will just keep that until they no longer put out security updates 5 years from now.  Until then, I have lots of usage left for W7.

Brother no problems at all with win 10 - none and with P3D -  DX12  around the corner you may be re-thinking your choice 

Rich Sennett

hey, if people are good with W10 and their flight sims work, good for them, I'm happy for them.  We all have a choice, so some go for it, and some don't.  those who are holding out, we know we have a little less than a year to decide or as Sesquachtoo stated, hold off until Win7 is no longer supported, not too dissimilar to the XP holdouts.  Who really knows what will happen in 5 years, right?

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Brother no problems at all with win 10 - none and with P3D -  DX12  around the corner you may be re-thinking your choice 

As stated, I will be open minded, but have decided not to jump in much before the full year passes,to vet this O.S. out.

Same for DX12...the year gives me the luxury to keep everything working as is...and sit in the bush, waiting for DX10, DX11------------------->DX12 real-world, performance/visual comparisons.  I have a good thing, and no worries about having my perferred nVidia driver continually high-jacked, with unwanted updates (and any others M.S. will force-feed) forced upon my system, through W10 adoption.

M.S, clearly has an agenda in play here...subscriptions, whatever...but clearly, there now is one, and they want all systems on it universally. They also want greater control of your system...and that quite frankly, dismays me.

Perhaps W7 will be the last O.S. truly er, historically known as a...'free' O.S.    :ph34r: ...free-will, total control by the user, that is!

Migration to win 10 was an excellent surprise for me.

I couldn't even consider returning back!

I am now on win 10 Pro, my p3dv2.5 and ASN working even smoother than before, specially when coupled with Aerowinx PSX.

I didn't try other sims, but these two are my toys right now :-)

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Migration to win 10 was an excellent surprise for me.

I couldn't even consider returning back!

I am now on win 10 Pro, my p3dv2.5 and ASN working even smoother than before, specially when coupled with Aerowinx PSX.

I didn't try other sims, but these two are my toys right now :-)

I'll certainly be reading comments such as these, Jcomm..and will decide to whether to push the button sometime towards the 365 days expiry.  I have the time...and am going to avail myself of it.

Due diligence.

I am holding off for one simple reason. I absolutely depend on at least two of my seven computers to be fully functional for development and testing of projects.

I simply cannot afford for either of those two critical systems to be off-line for any reason, but most especially for an operating system that may or may not install properly, and with no certainty that all of the development tools I need will continue to work properly.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've been avidly reading any reviews I can find and none suggest that now is the time for me to jump from 8.1 with the Start8 menu to 10. I don't like the idea of not being able to select which updates to install especially when it comes to driver updates. I also don't like the way the default options on install are set to automatically send info back to MS on various things that should be opt-in rather than opt-out. It seems the concept of an entitlement to user privacy no longer applies.

Time will tell and there is no rush as yet.

i don't get it.

Provided that you still have your W7 or 8.1 disc, what is impeding you from doing a clean install that way? I highly doubt that 
MS will actually block your key from activating whatever OS you had before. I guess that on August 28 we will see if this is actually true.

Just read that M.S. has a really big catch to this 'free' roll out offer.  You only have one month (30 days) to decide to keep it, or roll back.

Would you please post a confirm link or email where Microsoft confirms your charges. A link like yours to another website who also has no answer to the question or rolling back is in no way proof. This whole subject has become so convoluted here on AVSIM to the point of the Windows Thread is completely useless. What you are charging is that One of the biggest companies in the world are running a scam on millions of people if not billions of people all over the world. I am not a fanboi of MS and have Win 10 on one backup machine to try out. So far it looks works and tastes like Win 7. Who knows but just because you got a bit excited and god knows you do get a bit excited about thing, is no reason to spread rumors and that is exactly what you are doing.

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote. Don't do this!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

i don't get it.

Provided that you still have your W7 or 8.1 disc, what is impeding you from doing a clean install that way? I highly doubt that 

MS will actually block your key from activating whatever OS you had before. I guess that on August 28 we will see if this is actually true.

Supposedly (take this with a grain of salt), once you upgrade, Microsoft collects information on your system and "transforms" your previous Win7, 8, 8.1 license key to a Windows 10 key so even if you try to rollback (or reinstall from your disc), Microsoft will see who you are and want to reinstall the upgrade.  Again, this is all supposition, but it has a grain of credibility, as it has been pointed out (through fact or opinion) that Microsoft wants everybody on the new OS.  Sometimes, I wish Google would do that with Android to cut down on fragmentation of OS versions and give a swift kick in the butt to hardware manufacturers (for phones and tablets).  Just my two cents...

-Jim

Yeah I'm keeping Win 7 on the Flight Sim PC but going Windows 10 on my school laptop...that seems to be the best compromise. By 2020 my flightsim PC will be old anyways (by some people's standards it's already old) so we'll see what's popular then. 

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

Again, this is all supposition, but it has a grain of credibility, as it has been pointed out (through fact or opinion) that Microsoft wants everybody on the new OS.

**shock horror* a software company wants people to use their product! 

Microsoft provided support for WinXP long, long long after Win 7 came out. You think they're going to shut down Win7/8.1 just for kicks and giggles? They're committed to extended support for those systems through 2020 and 2023, respectively (Win10 extends through 2025).

The whole 'you only have a month to make up your mind' is a bogeyman spread either unintentionally by less-intelligent people - you know, the ones that get taken in by the 'your computer is infected' fake anti-virus popups, or intentionally by trolls. 

If you perform an update from Win 7 or Win 8.1 to Win 10, for 30 days there is a 'go back to your previous OS' choice from the Start menu (look under 'Update and security'). It removes Win 10 and puts you back on your previous OS. 

After 30 days, the system removes the several gigabytes of installation files - probably to free up space (if you haven't already deleted the files yourself, probably for the same reason). But there is nothing - absolutely nothing - from stopping you from doing a clean reinstall of Win 7/8.1 or heck go hard-core and reinstall WinXP if you want, assuming you have a purchased version and an ISO file on a disc or USB drive and a product key. Long-time simmers have almost certainly done their share of reinstalls over the years as it is....

Stop this stupid spreading of a rumor that is obviously, ridiculously wrong (or would be to anyone that spent a minute or two thinking about it).