Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I just cancelled my W10 reservation....

But there is nothing - absolutely nothing - from stopping you from doing a clean reinstall of Win 7/8.1 or heck go hard-core and reinstall WinXP if you want, assuming you have a purchased version and an ISO file on a disc or USB drive and a product key.

Ok, so if we follow your line of thinking that what I stated, correction, what everyone else has stated about Microsoft's intentions for the 30 day period is in line with fake ads perpetrated by trolls, convince us that what you stated above is fact, correct and true please.  I am not trying to start an arguement and if what you state is fact and true, I would personally feel a little easier.  There appears to be a veritable cornucopia of news these days, both positive and negative concerning Windows 10.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Too much BS being spread around here even for me to comment on.

I'll just sit back, enjoy my Win 10 install, and wait for that infamous: "Win 10 is the greatest thing ever!" thread because we all know it's coming some day, just like for FS9 multiple times, FSX, X Plane 10, and P3D.

convince us that what you stated above is fact, correct and true please. 

You're saying you want proof that Microsoft *isn't* deactivating your Windows 7/8.1 product key 30 days after you install Windows 10? You want proof that the world isn't actually run by Martians while I'm at it?

I repeat - people freaking about the 'I can't go back to my old O/S!' are doing so because the system removes the quick 'n' easy roll-back option after 30 days. It has nothing, zero, zilch to do with ability to re-install. If you're doing the update to Windows 10 on a working, activated, legitimate version of Win 7/8.1, the product key for the earlier OS is saved. Or you can wipe everything and do a full re-install that way, either with the disc or after downloading an ISO file - Microsoft has made the ISO images of both the Win7 and Win10 files available - again, assuming you have a product key. The only possible exception to this would probably be significant hardware changes.

Instead of asking for proof of something that doesn't exist, why don't you provide your proof that Microsoft is deactivating the earlier O/S product key? You know, actual proof, and not a post from another internet forum?

Do you really think Microsoft would simply ignore the conditions outlined in the original contract agreement they made with people that purchased their versions of Win 7/8.1? 

Does anyone know how to delete the /System32/GWX folder.

I have got rid of the windows updates related to this and hidden them on windows update but cannot get rid of this pesky folder.

I want it gone.

Instead of asking for proof of something that doesn't exist, why don't you provide your proof that Microsoft is deactivating the earlier O/S product key? You know, actual proof, and not a post from another internet forum?

Hear, hear!  The absence of an official Microsoft link tells you all you need to know about this garbage rumor.

I have got rid of the windows updates related to this and hidden them on windows update but cannot get rid of this pesky folder.

I want it gone.

Boot in Safe Mode and then delete.

Also you might not have rights to touch them so give admin rights to that folder should be ok in windows to delete them

Rich Sennett

I want it gone.

This is off topic.

But go ahead, delete a 50MB folder in System32. But don't come back here asking for help after your computer does not start again.

Seriously... Get over it.

Edited by linux731

Yikes I  thought he was referring to some sim folder stuff - leave it alone if I were you

Rich Sennett

It's a legit request that he doesn't want to be invited to update any longer, much like some people didn't like getting the invite as part of a Windows Update.

There is nothing in that GWX folder that the computer needs to start up.

It's a legit request that he doesn't want to be invited to update any longer, much like some people didn't like getting the invite as part of a Windows Update.

There is nothing in that GWX folder that the computer needs to start up.

Sure, but why is he desperate over 50MB of disk space? Or is it because he thinks he will start getting notifications about the upgrade? You won't.

Just hide the icon in the tray area. Problem solved.

Just read that M.S. has a really big catch to this 'free' roll out offer.  You only have one month (30 days) to decide to keep it, or roll back.

:rolleyes:  :LMAO: i think you're wrong

Edited by n4gix
Do not quote a wall of text please!

Sure, but why is he desperate over 50MB of disk space?

I'm sure it's not the disk space.

Just to clarify: I do think it highly likely that you will not be able to use your old Win 7/8.1 product key on a *new* PC if you're still using Windows 10 - in other words, Win10 is free if you're upgrading from the old OS, it's not free to install on a new PC while you keep using Win 7 etc. on a second PC.

That's not saying your product key is killed - this has always been the case; if you purchased an upgrade version of a new OS, you could only install it on a PC that already had an existing working version of an earlier OS (or in some cases a full version of MS Office). There were ways of getting around it...doesn't mean it was legal.

The only difference here is that you're getting the Windows 10 upgrade for free. There has been nothing - nada, zero, zilch - from Microsoft suggesting that you could not go back from Win 10 to your old OS, with the product key being usable again after uninstalling Win 10. It gets harder after 30 days because the convenient 'roll-back' option disappears. There are some quirks related to retail vs OEM versions and possible issues with hardware changes, but those are not 'new' to Win10, those have always been issues.

If people want to claim evidence of something based on an internet post, here's another internet post, a comment to the same article quoted by the thread starter:

I called Microsoft, well had them call me back before I updated my Win 7 Pro x64 retail, to Win 10 Pro last week, as I had the same concerns.

The guy I spoke to assured me that I can always go back to Win 7 if its a retail version, even after one month, or the 29th July next year, and basically stated that they cannot change the contract conditions of the original Win 7 pro x64 purchase.

<snip>

If you upgraded from a Retail version of 7 or 8/8.1 you can go back to win 7 in my case any time you want, and it should activate without any problems, even after the 29th July next year.

As long as I build the new system before the 29th July 2016, and my original Windows 7 is retail, I should be able to do the same thing, do a clean install of Win 7, activate, carry out all updates,, then update to Win 10, and create a clean install.

The agent specified the 29th July 2016 on this question, so any major changes after that date, and you will need to purchase a windows 10 licence. But from what I understood, you will always be able to go back to your retail Win 7/8 even after this date (i.e., you just can't use it to get Win 10 for free).

You are not losing your Win 7/8 licence, you just wont be able to use the key to continue using the free upgrade to Win 10 after the 29th July if any major hardware changes are made, but you wont be without an OS, you can either roll back, or pay for a new Win 10 licence.

and hopefully can avoid any install of W10 for a while

Hopefully? Just don't install it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png