Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

P3D vs FSX: DA42 around beautiful Pago Pago

Guest Mik75

Hi there!

I hope you like my comparison shots of a short flight around the beautiful island of Paro Paro (ORBX) in the Alabeo DA42. The weather came from ASN, the clouds are REX soft clouds.

I really love the superior shadowing of P3D 2.5, its beautiful water effects and the HDR rendering.

But good old FSX DX9 (with ENB) creates a very convincing look as well.

Which one do you like better? I couldn´t pick a clear winner:

d0wxaglef0je3f3xj.jpg

d0wxanhxze87nqh7r.jpg

d0wxaue1126l3zxrb.jpg

d0wxb18jnqs497hd3.jpg

d0wxb855eh9hhituv.jpg

d0wxbfk3fpopv6dgn.jpg

d0wxbmg5hwcg1h3fr.jpg

d0wxburds4utzljfr.jpg

d0wxc1xzr8nqvld47.jpg

FSX:

d0wxcaofey0j43o2v.jpg

d0wxcjz9mtu113dlz.jpg

d0wxcxk29l8w4pbxj.jpg

d0wxd3sry93ge7gdj.jpg

d0wxdc9qhih0c6l5z.jpg

d0wxdjpri8q3m90h3.jpg

d0wxdt36gnktx3grr.jpg

d0wxe0umy004ai6qv.jpg

d0wxe9enh2jm1vg6f.jpg

Beautifully rendered by ORBX many south pacific islands and airports to explore!

HLJAMES

2nd set for me.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I think the FSX shots look more natural and real. The P3D shots are also beautiful and have a high degree of color saturation and contrast. Personal preference to the user I guess. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Guest Mik75

Thanks for your comments!

I am happy to have both sims installed. I use FSX more often though, simply because I have all my addons installed in this sim. Not everything is available for P3D or works in it, and with my limited HDD space (all SSD setup), I couldn't install all the scenery and aircraft into both sims... ;-)

I installed P3D 2.5 (I wasn't impressed by 2.3 and I skipped 2.4 entirely) a few days ago and have been comparing as well.  To me, so far, P3D wins on daytime lighting, haze and clarity.  FSX wins on AA, the look of water.  Still trying to figure out which wins on performance.  I have a 46" HDTV so I see the AA more than most folks, I think.  Also, photoreal can look better on FSX since some of them were designed for FSX and, perhaps, the colors don't look so good in P3D.  I'm going visiting lots of my favorite airports, comparing the two to see how they look in each. 

All in all, I really like 2.5.  Can't say it's a slam dunk winner but there are times when the haze and lighting blows me away...especially around midday.  Thanks for posting these shots. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

So what is the problem with haze in FSX? Here is my FSX SE and there is no or very little haze showing. You can set the amount of haze in FSX to whatever you want in the weather section.

haze_zpsiba3ywfk.jpg

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

So what is the problem with haze in FSX? Here is my FSX SE and there is no or very little haze showing. You can set the amount of haze in FSX to whatever you want in the weather section.

I don't have SE so I'm not sure if there is a difference between it and FSX DX9.  There is most definitely are differences between FSX DX9 and P3D in haze depiction and, at times, they're huge to me.  But, to be fair, two people can have differences of opinion about the same sunset so there's not much to discuss beyond opinion there.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Not really an opinion, just a fact. FSX has a setting for visibility and you can eliminate or ad haze as you want. This is with FSX dx 10 or 9 and also with FSX SE. 

It is a simple test, if you have FSX or FSX SE and running DX 10 or 9 just go into weather settings and adjust visibility. 

Is there something in my screenshot that you think is untrue?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Guest Mik75

I always limit upper visibility to 70 SM in ASN, for both P3D and FSX. That's what comes closest to reality, in my opinion. With that setting, mad cloud draw distance can bet set to 70 SM as well. which can help with performance in heavy weather.

I always limit upper visibility to 70 SM in ASN, for both P3D and FSX. That's what comes closest to reality, in my opinion. With that setting, mad cloud draw distance can bet set to 70 SM as well. which can help with performance in heavy weather.

I'll give that a try.  Nice tip.

Gregg Seipp