Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Anyone interested in sharing 777 Full Motion Simulator

I am thinking about a February trip to Miami to spend more time on the 777 full motion simulator.  2 years ago I split 4 hours with another member here and it was an excellent experience.

It is costly about $1000 for 2 hours - we'd get 4 hours,  2 in the left  seat PF and 2 in the right seat PNF.  If you are proficient in the PMDG sim, you'll be very comfortable on the 777 full motion Level D sim..

My other option is Ufly in Toronto - anyone try that?  I'd like to know.  Or I can wait for PMDG to get their simulator up and running (if it isn't already)

Paul Gugliotta

I'd say save your money, wait a bit and get a lot more out of a session here when we open the sim center. Just a thought. I can't give hard dates, but I can nearly guarantee you that the money you'd otherwise be spending there would go a lot farther over here.

Kyle Rodgers

Is the pmdg sim center going to be full motion (level d)? Is the Miami sim really full motion?  I know that ufly is fixed base. But if PMDG's sims are full motion at a competitive cost, I foresee a huge market out there.

Paul,

It don't count unless you're playing "You bet your job."  :-)

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I'd say save your money, wait a bit and get a lot more out of a session here when we open the sim center. Just a thought. I can't give hard dates, but I can nearly guarantee you that the money you'd otherwise be spending there would go a lot farther over here.

Hi, Kyle,

Please point me to any announcements about PMDG's simulator plans.

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I will be eagerly waiting for further details. Also, will it be fixed or full motion? 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I'd be doubtful the simulator(s) will be full motion.  That adds a complexity (and enormous cost) but a few companies can justify short of real ATP certification (ie. airlines). 

Even static sim cockpits when built correctly (and with good visual displays) can be very immersive.  I think anyone in our community, with the exception of real airline pilots, will be very impressed with a static simulator built to the specs I know PMDG will build them.  

Unless of course your one of those crazy simmers (read: one's we're all envious of) who's built your own! :Money Eyes:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Is the pmdg sim center going to be full motion (level d)? Is the Miami sim really full motion?  I know that ufly is fixed base. But if PMDG's sims are full motion at a competitive cost, I foresee a huge market out there.

Hi, Kyle,

Please point me to any announcements about PMDG's simulator plans.

Thanks,

Mike

I will be eagerly waiting for further details. Also, will it be fixed or full motion? 

PMDG sim center?..what is that?

The Sim Center will be out of KHEF (closest major airport is KIAD), initially either with a 737NG or 777 simulator available to the public, and then the 748 simulator will follow. All of these will be fixed base, Flight Deck Solutions (link to our 748 being built) simulators with NatVis visuals (parabolic display). As RSR mentioned in the FlightSimCon video, these sims will be run using distributed processing to really help to unlock processing power (hardware support described here, for you at-home flight deck folk: video).

One of the things with buying sim time at places like Flight Safety, as a simmer, is that they treat you like you're any normal pilot coming in to go through a training program. Most of the crowd here isn't quite interested in that as much as they're interested in being able to physically interact with the sim and use it like they'd use one at home, flying a full flight (or several full flights). You want to fly some shuttle flights in the NG? Great. We can bring you from DCA-LGA-BOS and back, shooting some of the tougher approaches in the United States. Transcon more your thing? We can do that. Add weather, failures, and otherwise be forced to utilize aeronautical decision making? My pleasure :Devil:   :P

...and as RSR jokes in the video (below):

"You want to come and fly the 747 and fly it from Vancouver to Sydney, you can come do that as well. That's when you'll start to enjoy the time acceleration...but hey, you know what, if you want to come and sit for 16 hours, we'll let you do it...and for the bonus package, we'll put you in a cheap hotel that's right next to the railroad yard, give you 7 hours of sleep and make you fly the airplane home, too."  :Cuppa:

Our goal is to be flexible to what you want to do.

The original discussion is here.

Kyle Rodgers

Awesome....I am sure that is going to be cool.

Will watch the links you posted Kyle, thx!

Rob Robson

I had a feeling not everyone know about the up and coming PMDG simulators.  I learned about it from FlightSimCon2015. 

The full motion simulator is the real full motion $17,000,000 simulator that pilots train on.  They will indeed accommodate you in anything you want.  I dis it 6 times there in the 737, 767, 747 and 777.  It is $500 per hour - I buy 2 hours at $1,000 and you can add more hours 1 or 2 and take over the left seat and fly.

I will definitely visit the PMDG simulator  site in Virginia, but you know how long projects come to fruition - with no dates set, it could be 2017!!

I do the Miami training facility in February as an excuse to play golf, get out of the cold and test my 777 skills on the same simulators real pilots train on.

Yes there is an instructor there to help you (if you want).  It  is an awesome experience.   I was wondering if the uFLY was a complete functional cockpit??

Paul Gugliotta

The uFLY is completely functional with every system modeled along with failures.  The visuals are full wrap around and there are even ipads serving as efbs! The only thing is that it is fixed base.

My $0.02 on fixed-base vs full motion, as I spend a bit of time in full-motion sims for my job. 

The interesting thing is that the subjective sensation of motion from the wrap-around visuals is a far more compelling cue than the actual motion of the sim. You miss out on things like turbulence, ground roll, and accel/decel forces during thrust changes, but that's really about it.

The significant premium you pay for a full-motion simulator (over and above something like what PMDG are working on) effectively amounts to those items above. A well-designed fixed-base sim with properly collimated visuals will have the same fidelity otherwise, and you'll definitely feel the immersion.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg