http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-s-lineup-list-price-i7-6700k-313-i5-6600k-225/

There are a few online stores in Australia selling now -- 

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k-solid-australia-unofficially-box-art-revealed/

Will there be any considerable difference in P3D/FSX performance 6600k and the 6700k? (4 threads vs 8). 

Who is upgrading? 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

As stated in another post:

"I suppose we can add this to the list of `gamechanging` technologies, not a single one of which has actually substantially changed the game, despite the plaudits."

Until the core code is completely rewritten I see no need in upgrading.

With all the money I've been chasing FS with for 30 years I could have paid my daughters college tuition.  

Just my two cents worth.

Sean Green

I've been running FSX on an Intel 2500k clocked up to 4.7 Ghz -- most recently upgrade was the graphics card - Nvidia 970.

I estimate I've spent a total of 1000 USD on upgrades to my computer in the last 5 years. 

I would like to see how much we can overclock the new 6600k and 6700k -- it won't be a 'budget' upgrade

- New CPU + RAM + heatsink + motherboard

If corsair can get their act together soon and launch the Bulldog, then I will house it in there. 

I would like to build a new computer this year, no rush but if the overclock is good it might be time.  My ram is slow and I am still on regular hard drives.  Also my second computer is a 10 year old windows XP machine and I would like to switch over and use my current computer as the second machine. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

"Gaming performance shows the performance of Core i7-6700K being better than the six core Core i7-5820K. Since DirectX 12 leverages per core and multi-core performance, we can see even higher gains in gaming. The Core i7-6700K Skylake officially launches on Wednesday, next week, so stay tuned for more information."

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-review-gaming-performance-5820k/#ixzz3hqjKKhhN

Who is upgrading? 

Waiting for the Skylake-E version (Q3 2016). Going to go all out on the upgrades.

Nice box art. B)

I will probably give it a thought once K arrives next year. Till then I see no point as I love to OC :)

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

"Gaming performance shows the performance of Core i7-6700K being better than the six core Core i7-5820K. Since DirectX 12 leverages per core and multi-core performance, we can see even higher gains in gaming. The Core i7-6700K Skylake officially launches on Wednesday, next week, so stay tuned for more information."

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-review-gaming-performance-5820k/#ixzz3hqjKKhhN

Im pretty sure when the say "Gaming performance" and "DX12" they arent referencing an 8 year old platform that still hasnt proven efficient at multi-threading on current CPU's whose architecture is closer to the CPU's it was designed on. Dont expect to see more than a little, if any, performance gains in P3D or FSX.

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I will probably give it a thought once K arrives next year. Till then I see no point as I love to OC :)

I thought the 6700K was this year?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I thought the 6700K was this year?

You might be right. I've missread and it's Q3 apparently.

Doesn't matter for me anyway. Got Devil's Canyon not long ago and I'm quite happy with it :)

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

To my understanding, for P3D, 4.8Ghz is 4.8Ghz (my current clock on a 3770k). Even if one of these new buggers can hit 5.2Ghz, that's an 8% increase that, in many circumstances, will only benefit us by adding more clocks to core 0. So, to put that in perspective, if core 0 is bottlenecking us in a typical CPU-bound scenario (e.g. flying around FT Toronto in a PMDG craft in mostly clear skies) and I'm normally getting 20 FPS, whoopee, now I'm getting 21.6. That frame and a half isn't worth the lump of cash for a new processor, mobo, case, etc.

What we need here is for an expert to tell us if the architecture changes, die shrinks, etc. in newer generations (e.g. for me, anything newer than an Ivy Bridge) help us in any other foreseeable way.

To my understanding, for P3D, 4.8Ghz is 4.8Ghz (my current clock on a 3770k). Even if one of these new buggers can hit 5.2Ghz, that's an 8% increase that, in many circumstances, will only benefit us by adding more clocks to core 0. So, to put that in perspective, if core 0 is bottlenecking us in a typical CPU-bound scenario (e.g. flying around FT Toronto in a PMDG craft in mostly clear skies) and I'm normally getting 20 FPS, whoopee, now I'm getting 21.6. That frame and a half isn't worth the lump of cash for a new processor, mobo, case, etc.

What we need here is for an expert to tell us if the architecture changes, die shrinks, etc. in newer generations (e.g. for me, anything newer than an Ivy Bridge) help us in any other foreseeable way.

Not mentioning the extra cooling you need to safely play with 5GHz+

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Not mentioning the extra cooling you need to safely play with 5GHz+

l

the 6700k can hit over 5 ghz on air cooling. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/472109-skylake-core-i7-6700k-clocks-to-52ghz-on-air-cooling/#entry3274465

To my understanding, for P3D, 4.8Ghz is 4.8Ghz (my current clock on a 3770k).

To my understanding an clocked processor is not the same, ie you can't compare apples to oranges. A 2500k clocked at 4.8 ghz does not perform at the same level as s 3370k 4.8k

To my understanding an clocked processor is not the same, ie you can't compare apples to oranges. A 2500k clocked at 4.8 ghz does not perform at the same level as s 3370k 4.8k

Ok, but do we have any tests that show this?

I'm sitting on an overclocked Sandy bridge, 4.8. Each generation since has given higher instructions per cycle. Looks like now that totals about 40-45%. With the added overclocking capability, I estimate 50% higher frames with a Skylake @ 5.2. 20 frames would be 30. I think that for me, the cost becomes worth it all factors considered, DDR4 and (PCI 4.0?). Those sitting on Haswell can easily wait for Cannonlake or beyond. My 2 cents.

James McLees