In my opinion, a Skylake system will not make that much of a difference in the overall performance of FSX than a well tuned Ivy Bridge / Devils Canyon or Sandy Bridge CPU system. It will be quite interesting to see how much higher they can overclock than a 4790k as well as their thermal performance. Not holding out much hope though,

Everything is faster with new architecture - I'm sitting here at 4ghz with my dying 2500K.

A 6700K is something I've got my eye on for sure

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So many folks are negative about every new development.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. If it is true that you can get 5.0 with air cooling, what will we see with water cooling? 5.5 would make FSX really sing.

- Bill Magann

The energy requirements are so low they are sticking one onto the Intel compute stick.

I will upgrade, it's about time. What air cooler would you recommend?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Upgrading to 6700k asap.  Sure, the 4790k is nice, but 6700k is rumored to clock higher easier, and do it cooler (smaller die).  I think pairing it with 2 980ti hybrids will be just perfect for p3d!  Newer architecture is always nice, and DDR4 sounds like it will be fun to dump more money into!  And the ROG Maximus VIII Extreme at $300+, why not!  This build should be epic!  Maybe the 1151 socket will be better for more than 1 upgrade in the future :/  I'm a moron.  I love new tech tho.

What air cooler would you recommend?

Methinks the Hyper 212 evo is still a great cooler.  Cheap too.

No one's being negative. I, for one, would just like to see a bloody test instead of all this "it will give us 50% better FPS" or "newer architectures are always faster." IETU, 3DMark physics, et al all make good benchmarks but the issue that I'm bringing here--and, wait, get this--purely has to do with FSX/P3D. How do those applications respond to newer archictectures, primarily within the context of using the same clock speeds?

Do people here really make decisions in the rest of their lives the same way they make them here? I suggest some folks look into the scientific method and/or evidence-based management.

Prices for the 6700k too hot to handle right now, inflated prices. I think I'll wait until the official release, I'll run some benchmarks when I get it all setup.

One who knocks - currently using the evo 212 on my 2500k but on my next build I like to build a slim steam like Pc. The cooler is huge!

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Yes, not impressive at all. Very small improvements if any and one review says not to expect over-clocking past 4.8 although it was unclear to me if that meant with just air cooling or included water cooling. Bummer. The negatives were right again!

- Bill Magann

In my opinion, a Skylake system will not make that much of a difference in the overall performance of FSX than a well tuned Ivy Bridge / Devils Canyon or Sandy Bridge CPU system. It will be quite interesting to see how much higher they can overclock than a 4790k as well as their thermal performance. Not holding out much hope though,

Could be as much as 16% compared with Ivy bridge.

The energy requirements are so low they are sticking one onto the Intel compute stick.

I will upgrade, it's about time. What air cooler would you recommend?

I'd go for the NH-D15. Still the best around. As long as you have enough RAM clearance and big enough enclosure.

Ok, but do we have any tests that show this?

My devils canyon @ 4.3 runs frame for frame with my sandy @ 4.8

Unfortunately my devils canyon will only do 4.6 on water, but that equals 5.1 on my sandy bridge which it will do but not stable.

Tested with fresh win7 installs and FSX Demo all the same settings, as apple to apple as you can get.

With that said was it worth upgrading, probably not but, like Rob says building it is half the fun!

I cant wait for Skylake-E, my next upgrade.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Yes, not impressive at all. Very small improvements if any and one review says not to expect over-clocking past 4.8 although it was unclear to me if that meant with just air cooling or included water cooling. Bummer. The negatives were right again!

Looks good to me. 4.8 is a great overclock. Couple that with 15% IPC gains that have been seen, and my intended jump from Ivy Bridge should be nice. We have to bear in mind that results will vary, as they always do. Some will be unlucky enough to hit 4.6,, some will hit 4.8, and some might hit 5Ghz. We'll know average overclock results in time.

We shouldn't take "one reviewer" seriously. All mileage will vary. Wait for more reviews.

I'm bringing here--and, wait, get this--purely has to do with FSX/P3D. How do those applications respond to newer archictectures, primarily within the context of using the same clock speeds?

Do people here really make decisions in the rest of their lives the same way they make them here? I suggest some folks look into the scientific method and/or evidence-based management.

In my tests, IPC and frequency increase in FSX is linear. 10% will give you 10% frame rate increase.

I'm already running at 4.4 with my Haswell so even 4.8 is not a big improvement, and I have seen testers that can't get it stable above 4.7.

Perhaps as more testers use different methods we will see higher over-clocks. No doubt it will be in my next system, but there is no need to upgrade to go from 4.4 to 4.7.

- Bill Magann

I'm already running at 4.4 with my Haswell so even 4.8 is not a big improvement, and I have seen testers that can't get it stable above 4.7.

Perhaps as more testers use different methods we will see higher over-clocks. No doubt it will be in my next system, but there is no need to upgrade to go from 4.4 to 4.7.

Don't forget the IPC improvements. The architecture is faster than your Haswell. It's not just about frequency.

However, in my opinion no point in upgrading from Haswell. Ivy Bridge seriously think about it. Anything prior to that, yes.

I'm on Ivy and will be upgrading as I need to build a new PC anyway. My sons having my current PC.

Asus test large numbers of CPU's for their auto overclocking rules. They have done with Skylake and tell us that 4.7 is what we should expect. Some will get a tad more, some will get less.

My devils canyon @ 4.3 runs frame for frame with my sandy @ 4.8

Unfortunately my devils canyon will only do 4.6 on water, but that equals 5.1 on my sandy bridge which it will do but not stable.

Tested with fresh win7 installs and FSX Demo all the same settings, as apple to apple as you can get.

With that said was it worth upgrading, probably not but, like Rob says building it is half the fun!

I cant wait for Skylake-E, my next upgrade.

What are your OC settings?

I'm running 4.7GHz on water and I'm under 70 celcius on full load.

Didn't even try to go higher yet but looks like should be no issue.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png